Straight or Drop Bars

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hondated

Straight or Drop Bars

Post by hondated »

Ok learned ones, todays question is " is there less strain on your stomach using straight bars rather than drops. "
There is a good reason for asking but I will not bore you with the details.
reohn2

Re: Straight or Drop Bars

Post by reohn2 »

No.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, no is the answer. :lol:
I reckon that a correctly set up bike, drops or straights should make no difference to the riding position.

I use drops, but I can hold on the bottom of the drops, or the hoods, or the tops, and my body position doesn't change much at all. I can crouch or tuck in any hand-hold. Best tuck is on the drops.

With straights, you gain and you lose.
Gain is wider 'bars for stability and control at low speed, and maybe more comfortable grips for your hands and wrists.
Loss is not having a variety of positions to hold. This is especially important when you've been in the saddle for hours.
Mick F. Cornwall
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Mick F wrote:Yes, no is the answer. :lol:
I reckon that a correctly set up bike, drops or straights should make no difference to the riding position.

I use drops, but I can hold on the bottom of the drops, or the hoods, or the tops, and my body position doesn't change much at all. I can crouch or tuck in any hand-hold. Best tuck is on the drops.

With straights, you gain and you lose.
Gain is wider 'bars for stability and control at low speed, and maybe more comfortable grips for your hands and wrists.
Loss is not having a variety of positions to hold. This is especially important when you've been in the saddle for hours.

Never been able to use drops. I get shoulder ache. Also with straights I can steer using one finger while I sit upright.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

hondated wrote:Ok learned ones, todays question is " is there less strain on your stomach using straight bars rather than drops. "
There is a good reason for asking but I will not bore you with the details.

If your hands are in the same place, then the shape of the bit of pipe makes no difference.
If your hands are in different places, then the question should have been....."does putting your hands {further away/lower/higher/nearer/etc} put more or less strain on your stomach".
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

depends on how much of a beer belly you have?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:depends on how much of a beer belly you have?

It's not the shape of the rider but position of the handlebars.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:I reckon that a correctly set up bike, drops or straights should make no difference to the riding position.
reohn2 wrote:It's not the shape of the rider but position of the handlebars.
Like wot I said. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
hondated

Post by hondated »

Thanks everyone I think I will dig out the butterfly bars and have another go with them. When I tried them before at 57cm they felt wide but I definitely sat up straighter.
LowPlainsDrifter

Post by LowPlainsDrifter »

I cant stand drops and thats what on my Sadar. I don't find them comfortable no matter what hight or position I have them (using the drops). So much so I started using my Falcon Hylander hybrid instead as its more comfy.
I going to put some sort of semi straights on my Sadar when I get round to it and decide which ones.
zero population growth.
no to the rat race thanks.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Another take on handlebar comfort is the diameter of the bars. I find the old alloy 25.2mm bars far more comfortable than today's 21mm. The big problem of course is that nothing fits (unless you grind them out like I do).
gordonyoung

Post by gordonyoung »

I use the old fashion trick - turn the drops upside down and cut the upper loop off. Great for touring!
horizon

Post by horizon »

LowPlainsDrifter wrote:I cant stand drops and thats what on my Sadar. I don't find them comfortable no matter what hight or position I have them (using the drops).

You might mean, "no matter what height or position I can get them to". Drops take you further forward than straight bars and the low-cut steerer on the Sardar takes you lower. If you could get your hands in the same position as with straight bars, you might find the forward-facing curved bar very comfortable. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to do so.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
LowPlainsDrifter

Post by LowPlainsDrifter »

horizon wrote:
LowPlainsDrifter wrote:I cant stand drops and thats what on my Sadar. I don't find them comfortable no matter what hight or position I have them (using the drops).

You might mean, "no matter what height or position I can get them to". Drops take you further forward than straight bars and the low-cut steerer on the Sardar takes you lower. If you could get your hands in the same position as with straight bars, you might find the forward-facing curved bar very comfortable. Unfortunately it's almost impossible to do so.

Yes but I have an adjustable stem so I can get the bars to sit up higher (and closer to me) but still doesn't feel right. I tried everything and just find it uncomfortable on the drops for more than a few mins and anyway I prefer an upright ride. Maybe some moustache type bars will feel better?
zero population growth.
no to the rat race thanks.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

reohn2 wrote:
mercalia wrote:depends on how much of a beer belly you have?

It's not the shape of the rider but position of the handlebars.

straight bars are in a different position to drops