Thermos flask for standard cage

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
slogfester

Thermos flask for standard cage

Post by slogfester »

Enough of all this tech bike stuff, now down to the most important things for next tour.... smoko (= morning tea)

Can anyone recommend a light weight (stainless steel?) thermos flask that fits in to a standard bottle cage (c. 70 mm diameter?), which is robust enough for the under-the-down-tube cage. About 0.5 - 0.7 litres. Standard flask, with screw lid and integrated cup, i.e. don't want to drink while on the move. Just needs to keep water hot enough for a few hours.

I have looked at a few old threads but most links are either dead or products don't seem to exist anymore.

Thanks
RickH

Re: Thermos flask for standard cage

Post by RickH »

The only proper flask I can think of is this one by Elite (it has a metal cap as well as a cycling cap, but no cup). Slightly cheaper, presumably selling off surplus stock, if you don't mind the Coca Cola branding is here and shows the other cap. It may be too long for a below the down tube cage depending on your frame geometry.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

An ordinary S/Steel flask fits such as this one:- http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/0-5L-STAINLES ... 1160623304
But needs a toestrap around the flask and cage(threaded between the two fixing bolts so it stays put) to secure it otherwise it'll rattle :wink: .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
tim-b

Post by tim-b »

Hi
+1 Thermos 0.5l, approx 250mm x 70mm, and yes, the toe strap is necessary IME
18/8 stainless steel and part of the range for 15 years, so it works well
Regards
tim-b
~~~~¯\(ツ)/¯~~~~
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

I use one of these: http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/brompt ... GugOBNFDcs

If you don't want to go to this expense, cut off the bottom half of an old 750ml drinks bottle and stand your flask inside in a normal bottle cage.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

'Kernow bys Vyken'
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Or one of these? http://bbbcycling.com/accessories/bottle-cages/BBC-15 and just bungee the top of the flask in.

I was going to recommend the smallest of the Stanley flasks which I have and rate, http://www.johnlewis.com/stanley-classi ... 7l/p186518 but it will last you a couple of mugs and that's your lot. Hardly worth it. I use mine on longer dog walks or if I'm at work for only a couple of hours....hc
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Seems like there's no end of expensive solutions to solve an inexpensive problem :roll:
W H Auden
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

reohn2 wrote:Seems like there's no end of expensive solutions to solve an inexpensive problem :roll:

He heh. Quite right. A cup of tea never got quite so expensive. I often just take my Trangia with me for a brew. That way I am forced to sit still and rest. :?

I have also had brief visions of lighting up my Kelly Kettle and boiling a brew while I'm on the move, but I might just be accused of being a wee bit too eccentric. Forget the fire hazard :twisted:
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

+1 with bikepacker. An old water bottle with the top cut off placed inside the cage and stuff the vacuum flask in that. No rattles and can easily add tiny bit of packing if necessary.
slogfester

Post by slogfester »

Many thanks for useful replies.

I like the idea of a standard thermos flask, such as that suggested by reohn2 held by the monkii cage suggested by bikepacker.

Even better if (when necessary) the cage could carry a 1.5l drinks bottle for long remote legs. Will the standard monkii cage handle that or do you need the more robust version:

http://www.cyclemiles.co.uk/shop/cycle- ... GvY3EYfzcw
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you could always ask Miles, he's a nice chap who is sure to help you out.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
andrew_s

Post by andrew_s »

There's also the Bike Buddy to carry a standard Thermos.
It stays fastened to the flask, just leaving a couple of buttons in the bottle cage mounts. The Monkii cage is probably a copy of it.

The bigger flask is, the better it does at keeping your drinks warm (or cold, according to season).
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

reohn2 wrote:Seems like there's no end of expensive solutions to solve an inexpensive problem :roll:

Don't understand where the expensive solutions are.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

bikepacker wrote:

Don't understand where the expensive solutions are.

At the time of my post the following were suggested:-
£18 purpose made Thermos(cage needed)
or a £14 Monkii cage,Thermos needed.
or a £21 Thermos albeit same as the £18 one(cage needed)

My suggestion was a simple cage,available from £4 to,how long's a piece string,and a toestrap which perform just as good as anything and most cyclists have one or two in a drawer somewhere :wink: .
A 0.5ltr S/S Thermos is £5:- http://www.gaynors.co.uk/brands/aladdin ... C8Fvw_wcBd
It's a system I've used for many years and can honestly say works without flaw.
Since my post the only thing I can see that could better it is the Bike Buddy cage,which seems thoroughly practical,long lasting,tried and tested over many years now and at a fair price for what you get,but for a 0.5ltr flask I ask myself is it necessary.
Hmm, I don't think so.

EDIT:- Just tried a 0.5ltr Thermos in a cut off bottle,in a cage as suggested up thread.
It was very secure in one cage type(Specialized resin cage),but needed a toestrap in two other types(Elite Cannibal and Standard alu type).
In all three types of cage,the Thermos was secure without a cut off bottle but with a toestrap around it and cage.
W H Auden