motorised bicycle

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
hondated

motorised bicycle

Post by hondated »

Just sitting here baby sitting for my daughter and watching an american motorcycle programme on Discovery and they have just fitted a small petrol motor onto an old Schwin bike. So its got me wondering whether we could do that legally over here.
If we can it would make those hills easier.
Tigerbiten

Re: motorised bicycle

Post by Tigerbiten »

Yes.
As long as you have a motorbike licence and you got a MOT for it.
Then you would be legal.
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I believe these were commonplace in the 60's, and that a lot of them came from France - I don't know the legalities (or if they've changed since then). Old club mates used to tell tales of riding along (on their regular pedal powered) lightweight racers on the way home from work and 'burning off' the motorised bikes! :D
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Surely this is just a moped (remember when they came with pedals)? Almost certainly that would be how they would be classified. The good thing there is that most of us would not have to pass a motorbike test to use one.
Stewart H

Post by Stewart H »

It will need an MOT, number plate and insurance, a mate motorised a Raleigh Chopper a few years ago, a neat job involving the rear end of a Honda Express, it also needed a drum brake on the front, the tester did not like the caliper type.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chap near here added a chainsaw engine to a skateboard. Went like the clappers, but had no brakes. :lol:
I don't think he had it tested or licenced ............. or any insurance either.
Mick F. Cornwall
hondated

Post by hondated »

It just amazes me what they get away with in the States but I suppose it does depend on what State you live in.
I know its all to do with safety but I cannot help but wonder whether we go a bit over the top with it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Aunty Nancy was a Florida girl. Married Uncle Ron (our mother's brother) just after the war.

Whilst Nancy was a young child going to school - early 1920s - her father bought her a car and would put enough gas in it to get her to school and back for the week. Her dad had to fit wooden blocks to the foot pedals for her to reach. :shock:
Yes, amazing what they get/got away with in the USA. :lol:

BTW, Nancy's dad was a moonshine runner during Prohibition.
Mick F. Cornwall
hondated

Post by hondated »

Mick F wrote:Aunty Nancy was a Florida girl. Married Uncle Ron (our mother's brother) just after the war.
. . . . . etc.

That's an interesting anecdote mick.I bet they had a few more of those as well.
cotswolds

Post by cotswolds »

fastpedaller wrote:I believe these were commonplace in the 60's, and that a lot of them came from France - I don't know the legalities (or if they've changed since then). Old club mates used to tell tales of riding along (on their regular pedal powered) lightweight racers on the way home from work and 'burning off' the motorised bikes! :D

I vaguely remember seeing the French ones occasionally. I've heard it suggested that we should be using these instead of e-bikes. Less added weight, a pint of petrol would take you further than a battery charge, and can quickly be replaced when used up.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

cyclemaster any one?

cyclemaster
cyclemaster

http://www.oldbike.eu/wordpress/?page_id=1734

my dad had one. 1950's Doesnt that frame look like a modern expedition tourer?
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

About 12 years ago I rode with a veterans group where one of the members had a roadified MTB with a small motor added. I do not recall how it drove the rear wheel, but I do recall the small petrol tank on the carrier. This was in the days before electric assist and was used to help him on hills (it was a hilly area). He had tax and a small number plate: I do not know about MOT since it was a motor assisted pedal cycle not a moped.
RJS

Post by RJS »

How about a Velo Solex, the French firm, now branded Impex and I think made in Hungary. The laws have changed since the '40-'50, when these were popular, you need a licence now. Claimed 23 MPH and up to 200 MPG.
Cheers, Rob.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

A retired engineer and cycling friend adapted a trice recumbent by adding a petrol strimmer engine. As well as those legal requirements listed above the major obstacles were insurance and on-off type approval. He knew his way around but the obstruction from DVLC was enough for him to return to pedal power.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

tatanab wrote:About 12 years ago I rode with a veterans group where one of the members had a roadified MTB with a small motor added. I do not recall how it drove the rear wheel, but I do recall the small petrol tank on the carrier. This was in the days before electric assist and was used to help him on hills (it was a hilly area). He had tax and a small number plate: I do not know about MOT since it was a motor assisted pedal cycle not a moped.

At one time all mopeds had pedals (hence the name). The very early ones were pretty much like the vehicles we are describing. The requirement to have pedals remained for many years but was dropped some years back.

A few years old but a quick Google search provided this guy's tale of woe trying to get his self-built motor-assisted mountain bike approved, taxed and insured: http://www.users.globalnet.co.uk/~pattl ... rc0497.htm
It was eventually classed as a "low powered moped"