Oops, sheared bolt...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Oops, sheared bolt...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Bolt holding the mid drive pulley on my ICE sprint just sheared off...

I might have been in a a bad gear combination due to talking to someone in the office, and then pushed a bit hard due to being late (talking to someone in the office)...
Bang.

Limped to an lbs, spent a while in their workshop trying to get the end of the bolt out of the frame. No luck.
GT85, drills, torx bits, screwdriver, drift punches...

"bother", "bother", "bother".

Need to go and prep MrsBob's trike for my commute tomorrow...
Or my bike, which I thought was away for winter, but it looks to have warmed up a bit... Bonus.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Re: Oops, sheared bolt...

Post by Tigerbiten »

I think I've heard of that happening once before.

If something like that happened to me, I'd get in contact with ICE and see what they say about it as their after-sales service is so good.
But you may have to send the main part of frame back to them ....... :cry:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

I think I'll try a screw extractor - but I'll probably talk to them about potential remedies.

Actually if I hang on until Christmas I'll be passing by...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Crap! As said, and as you know, ICE will help all they can. Sadly I can offer more. Best of luck and let us know how it works out. Ed
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

Nah, it's a scrapper mate, total write off. I'll do you a favour and come round and take it off your hands for a fiver. Can't say fairer than that.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Elizabethsdad wrote:Nah, it's a scrapper mate, total write off. I'll do you a favour and come round and take it off your hands for a fiver. Can't say fairer than that.

Absolutely - no problem - I'll tell you what, £3...

You take the bolt, leave the trike ;)
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
Elizabethsdad wrote:Nah, it's a scrapper mate, total write off. I'll do you a favour and come round and take it off your hands for a fiver. Can't say fairer than that.

It's a deal.
But I'm in a hurry so I'll have to use an angle grinder to get it out ....... :lol:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Tigerbiten wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:

It's a deal.
But I'm in a hurry so I'll have to use an angle grinder to get it out ....... :lol:

Erm, no ;) No scratching the paint, I want to hang the scrapped frame in my living room...
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

If you know anybody that handy with MiG welder a small blob of weld on the top of the bolt , will do two things give you something to get of, and the localised heat will break the corrosion.
Last edited by NUKe on 2 Dec 2014, 3:15pm, edited 2 times in total.
NUKe

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Where to ground it....
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Seat bolt or head race possibly, I don't know, but a friend removed one from a drop out in an old frame of mine using this method, I think he ground it onthe drop out
NUKe

Post by forlorn hope »

As a final solution if nothing else works,icelette sell a terracycle idler clamp.
Trice S 700cc
Optima baron
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

forlorn hope wrote:As a final solution if nothing else works,icelette sell a terracycle idler clamp.

Iceletta wrote:Dear customer, due to the strong demand, the Clamp on Terracycle Idler Mount 60 mm are sold out right now. But we expect a shipment from TerraCycle mid-August 2013.

(Yes they also claim to be in stock)
It does at least give me a fall back position. I shall fix MrsBob's trike tonight, and give it a bit more chain ;)
Then at least I can concentrate on getting that finished (e-assist would be good if we get a winter this year)...
Edwards

Post by Edwards »

I can not help right now but should be back in Brum around the 13th and would be able to help with the Mig welder removal.
Ley me know if you need help.
Keith Edwards
I do not care about spelling and grammar
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Possible...
Just put some mudguards on the upright yesterday (and damaged another finger in the process of refitting the kick stand)
Also fixed up most of the gearing on MrsBob's trike (bottom gear is too close to the wheel though, chain rubs on the tyre) - not hooked up the power assist though (then I won't need the gears ;) )

Trike sat in garage awaiting thought