Oops, sheared bolt...

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Oops, sheared bolt...

Post by [XAP]Bob »

ICE have recommended a screw extractor, so I'll try and get/borrow one of those.

This is an extremely rare occurrence. So rare we cannot remember it happening before.

They also offered to sort me out if the frame really dies (although I suspect that however deep their discount the terracycle idler clamp would be better value)
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

[XAP]Bob wrote:ICE have recommended a screw extractor, so I'll try and get/borrow one of those.

Quick google = Screw fix do a set for £3.99 -> http://www.screwfix.com/p/screw-extract ... -set/18643
Have you got one local ??
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, the reviews are a bit mixed, and I suspect that stainless is going to be on the harder end of bolts to extract this way.

My next door neighbour does a lot of car rebuilding, so I'll see if he has a decent set...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

I did remember right, it was 3 years ago.
The thread about another sheared bolt is over on YACF -> https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=54692.0
Hope this helps ....... :D
Edit:- just read the full thread and I don't think it will ........... :cry:
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

Just read that other forum thread and it seems we should just look at it periodically? Not sure if we would see anything though. Interesting 4 wheel trailer - is a trailer tent do you think?
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

manybikes wrote:Just read that other forum thread and it seems we should just look at it periodically? Not sure if we would see anything though. Interesting 4 wheel trailer - is a trailer tent do you think?

It's a Camp-Rite Midget Bushtrekka Bicycle Camper Trailer.
I think its main downside, apart from it's small wheels, is it weighs 25.4 Kg which is double the weight of my trailer and separate tent.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Screw extractors not uup to job in stainless bolt :(

next stop friend's* workshop

loosely - we went to school together, I now work with his SiL
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

My brother has snapped that bolt and also lost that bolt. When he snapped it the first time he didn't realize what had happened (he's thick as two short planks) and ended up sawing into the frame. No matter what I tried I couldn't get the bolt out. I took it to ICE, they got it out and patched the frame. He also started sawing through the handle bars.
Attachments
sawing the handle bars.jpg
sawing the handle bars.jpg (50.78 KiB) Viewed 2977 times
sawing the frame.jpg
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973
Elizabethsdad

Post by Elizabethsdad »

If your brother ever sells that trike I will be so not tempted to buy it.
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Was wondering how it was going, got it out yet?

Was also wondering, if it has happened a few times to various people, if there was a proactive way of avoiding it? Replacing the original with a tougher bolt? I guess though that could make it even harder to remove should that break and ICE perhaps less inclined to help.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It shouldn't snap. I suppose regular removal and greasing would make it easier to remove in the worst case.

Maybe use a lathe to put a very narrow hole all the way down the centre of the bolt, so you don't need to centre punch a snapped bolt (notoriously difficult due to the asymmetry of threads where the bolt has snapped)

I'll be off to a workshop this Saturday - even the SnapOn bolt removers cant get a grip on the stainless steel - at least not enough to get it turning. Even gripping the extractor and applying counter clockwise torque whilst repeatedly tapping the extractor with a hammer hasn't worked - it gets a good grip, but never enough to start the bolt moving when I eventually switch to a socket set (any handle type)
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

I would have got the welding set out on this job by now.

Nothing beats the local thermal shock of welding onto the end of sheared bolt, and once you have done that, you have something to swing on, so it is all good!

I wonder why it broke in the first place?

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

if I had a mig set I might have just limped all the way home...
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Done it!

Had an old friend over today with various tools. Managed to get a bit more material out, then tap a thread into the remainder.

I shall do the rest of the reassembly tomorrow, but phew!
Trikeyohreilly

Post by Trikeyohreilly »

Nice one! I hope the rest goes well.

That must be a weight off your mind.