merino baselayer

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
David_S

Re: merino baselayer

Post by David_S »

Try H/H freeze. A merino/manmade fibre mix with 'turtle' style neck and zip for ventilation.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

I've switched out every synthetic baselayer to 100% merino wool (including my undies). I ride off road mostly and go on extended tours up to 3 weeks long.
Merino wool comes in different weights - lower number means lighter fabric. Mine range from 150 to 260. I use several brands, Icebreaker, Devold and Janus. My partner has also switched to Merino and uses the brands mentioned plus Smartwool, Supernatural (underwear) and Ulvang.

I've bought almost everything from http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/Meraid_Griffin_4d787a. They take a few weeks to deliver but the price is worth the wait. Half normal price and sometimes even less.

P.S. If you chose to use this link, I get a reward if you make a purchase so thank you in advance, of course you can simply go to the site and have a look. I don't work for the company.
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Good Tip, faraway... now where's my credit card?!
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
niggle

Post by niggle »

Farawayvisions wrote:P.S. If you chose to use this link, I get a reward if you make a purchase so thank you in advance, of course you can simply go to the site and have a look. I don't work for the company.

Except you still have to join and give your email address just to have a look...
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

niggle wrote:
Farawayvisions wrote:P.S. If you chose to use this link, I get a reward if you make a purchase so thank you in advance, of course you can simply go to the site and have a look. I don't work for the company.

Except you still have to join and give your email address just to have a look...

I've just exited the site for that same reason,if I can't 'walk' into shop without someone needing to know my name and address,I'm not going in :evil:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

reohn2 wrote:
niggle wrote:

I've just exited the site for that same reason,if I can't 'walk' into shop without someone needing to know my name and address,I'm not going in :evil:

Your choice of course. The claim is that suppliers allow them to sell at prices they don't want showing up in google searches. I have no idea if that's true but the couple of things I've bought have been well below the price I've seen elsewhere.
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

Farawayvisions wrote:I've switched out every synthetic baselayer to 100% merino wool (including my undies). I ride off road mostly and go on extended tours up to 3 weeks long.
Merino wool comes in different weights - lower number means lighter fabric. Mine range from 150 to 260. I use several brands, Icebreaker, Devold and Janus. My partner has also switched to Merino and uses the brands mentioned plus Smartwool, Supernatural (underwear) and Ulvang.

I've bought almost everything from http://www.sportpursuit.com/join/Meraid_Griffin_4d787a. They take a few weeks to deliver but the price is worth the wait. Half normal price and sometimes even less.

P.S. If you chose to use this link, I get a reward if you make a purchase so thank you in advance, of course you can simply go to the site and have a look. I don't work for the company.

Good to see you back here Farawayvisons!

I too have gone 100% merino wool base layers (from Aldi bargain bin) but am just saving up for some merino pants...man, they are expensive for saying there's less in them than a t-shirt.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

niggle wrote:

That is true niggle, but if you don't like anything, simply unsubscribe when they send their newsletter. Although, it's very addictive.
Farawayvisions

Post by Farawayvisions »

Sooper8 wrote:
Good to see you back here Farawayvisons!

I too have gone 100% merino wool base layers (from Aldi bargain bin) but am just saving up for some merino pants...man, they are expensive for saying there's less in them than a t-shirt.

My partner swears by his merino under crackers. 15 quid on sportspursuit. Mine were 12 or 13 pounds. Apparently merino wool can absorb 30% of its weight in moisture before feeling damp. My little undies weigh 35g (I weighed them out of curiosity so I could compare them to my fancy pants) So that roughly 10g/10ml of perspiration before I would feel like I'd wet myself! Amazing how useful maths can be.
Sooper8

merino baselayer

Post by Sooper8 »

Always good to have an accurate weight to moisture ratio for your pants... :D

Edit -oops, when I say 'your pants' , I mean my pants or pants in general, not literally 'your pants'. :oops:
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Just a thought, would it be a good idea to buy a short sleeve merino base layer rather than a long sleeve one. I'm thinking one could use the ss longer into the warmer weather than the ls.
In cold weather can use e.g. Lusso arm warmers.
Any thoughts ?
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I'd happily recommend Merino as a base layer. Due to a cardiac condition my temperature control is a bit iffy and I can sweat quite a lot.

Merino feels a bit itchy when you first put it on but that sensation soon goes. It does get damp (in my case at least), but critically it stays warm, even when at rest. By far the best base layers for winter in my experience. I felt I was initially giving in to marketing hype or trends, but Merino does seem better than the synthetic alternatives I have always worn.
PH

Post by PH »

DavidT wrote:Merino feels a bit itchy when you first put it on but that sensation soon goes.

That may to an extent depend on the person. It certainly depends on the merino, my Howies have always been soft as silk, the Icebreaker and Embers very close second and the Planet X stuff as you describe.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Yes. Any wool on my arms is like wearing sandpaper, including Merino :( Still works as a mid layer though :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I have a couple of dhb Merino base layers which are fantastic, they are the only Merino I have owned, so I'm sure other merino is as good if not better. I wanted another for Christmas so put one on my list, I was bought a synthetic base layer instead, I can only describe it as cold and sweaty. I think I will stick to the Merino, excellent stuff.