why is there not a definative study about helments?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
martinn

Re: why is there not a definative study about helments?

Post by martinn »

The main rational behind my original question is my grumpiness at not being able to participate in charity cycle rides (or sportives) because I do not see the point in wearing a helmet. The CTC briefing on this subject, suggest that this might be illegal in some instance, and may derive from a perceived insurance requirement.
Hence if there was a definitive study that on the beneficial affects of helmets in cycling, then either I would wear a helmet, or I would be free to choose not to wear a helmet depending on the outcome of the study.

I think the rational behind wearing a helmet because you don't want a headache makes sense if you want to finish a race, however, the counter point here is, if the helmet then caused you to sustain a rotational injury you may not be able to finish the race because you were wearing a helmet!.... this is a bit of a circular argument.

Martin
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

martinn wrote:The main rational behind my original question is my grumpiness at not being able to participate in charity cycle rides (or sportives) because I do not see the point in wearing a helmet. The CTC briefing on this subject, suggest that this might be illegal in some instance, and may derive from a perceived insurance requirement.
Hence if there was a definitive study that on the beneficial affects of helmets in cycling, then either I would wear a helmet, or I would be free to choose not to wear a helmet depending on the outcome of the study.

I think the rational behind wearing a helmet because you don't want a headache makes sense if you want to finish a race, however, the counter point here is, if the helmet then caused you to sustain a rotational injury you may not be able to finish the race because you were wearing a helmet!.... this is a bit of a circular argument.

Martin

I always ask to see the insurance documents, then chase the insurance company and ask them to provide an explanation - raising concerns about rotational injuries etc.

It should be up to them to demonstrate that it is a reasonable requirement...

Of course you could just wear the helmet on your elbow...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I think it's worth following up Bob's example of having a targeted moan. If enough people moan then new, more Clueful insurers may well be found.

Next year's York Rally has a helmets-needed sportive, the rationale behind which was getting something imperfect organised was better than not getting something perfect organised, though the organisers appear to have taken the criticism it generated on board and will look for an alternative insurer for the one after. It's a major PITA that British Cycling seem responsible for a lot of this insurance led idiocy (their insurers are very keen on lids), so each time I get the membership feedback I make a point of moaning that their events arm needs to listen to their campaigning arm.

Beyond that you are stuck to a degree by the My Game, My Rules problem. If you're organising something you can insist on Santa suits if you want, but as Tony's pointed out organisers haven't really get a substantive leg to stand on as far as evidence underpinning safety (as in serious incidents) goes. Sadly the case that the Highway Code is lagging some years behind the available information, and a typical insurer will see "you should wear a cycle helmet" as an indication that you're Mad, Bad and Dangerous to Insure if you don't. Sadly the case that for a lot of insurers the definition of "reasonable requirement" will be "that's what most companies do". They're not keen on perceived risks.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

martinn wrote:The main rational behind my original question is my grumpiness at not being able to participate in charity cycle rides (or sportives) because I do not see the point in wearing a helmet. The CTC briefing on this subject, suggest that this might be illegal in some instance, and may derive from a perceived insurance requirement.

Martin

Most of these events will make an exception for a medical reason. Get a note from your GP and ride without a helmet.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
martinn

Post by martinn »

I am intrigued, what medical condition could allow me to be safe to ride, but unable to wear a helmet?

Martin
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

They cause headaches? Or can't be correctly fitted? They irritate your skin and make your head itch?

You have to remove it sometimes to avoid overheating?

It might be a problem if your GP thinks that helmets are a necessary bit of kit.

Some events might give you an exemption if you just challenge them. I had an employer for a while that required them. They would accept medical and religious exemptions,
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
mjr

Post by mjr »

martinn wrote:I am intrigued, what medical condition could allow me to be safe to ride, but unable to wear a helmet?

Some minor neck injuries. :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

martinn wrote:I am intrigued, what medical condition could allow me to be safe to ride, but unable to wear a helmet?

New Zealand where helmets are mandatory provides good examples. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10882081
Thermostat9

Post by Thermostat9 »

TonyR wrote:

New Zealand where helmets are mandatory provides good examples. http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/artic ... d=10882081

Three riders were also granted exemption between 2000 and 2003 for a "personal desire not to wear helmet".

I imagine there might be a few more applicants for that one if that ridiculous law was introduced here! :wink:
Tigerbiten

Post by Tigerbiten »

Thermostat9 wrote:
TonyR wrote:

Three riders were also granted exemption between 2000 and 2003 for a "personal desire not to wear helmet".

I imagine there might be a few more applicants for that one if that ridiculous law was introduced here! :wink:

Me for one.
I ride a recumbent trike ........ :D
So I think that any accident I could have where my head is hit and a helmet may be a bit of use will also be an accident where the forces involved will be above what a helmet is designed to withstand.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And on the old hard shell seats a helmet would have put an awful crick in the neck,,,
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.