B&M Quality.

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
g.meredith

B&M Quality.

Post by g.meredith »

I have had two Busch Muller rear battery lights pack up on me within two months of purchase. Other brands I have owned have lasted for years. I am of the opinion that B&M are expensive and substandard in quality. Anyone else had issues.
WOOLIFERKINS

Re: B&M Quality.

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

Never. Which light?
Neil
g.meredith

Post by g.meredith »

Busch & Muller D Toplight XS Senso Rear Battery LED Light - 50 / 80 mm Vario Fitting
B + M Toplight Line senso battery back light
fossala

Post by fossala »

I had a toplight brake plus die after 2 months or so. Got a replacement. I also had a luxos B, paintwork bubbled within 6 months.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I had 2 rear toplight line plus lights fail within the first week of ownership. Both failed in exactly the same way, the capacitor for the stand light became detached and the lights would not work when stopped. First was returned and replaced with the 2nd, 2nd was returned and replaced with a light from a different manufacturer. Since then I've had no problems. I think in my case it's poor design rather than completely shoddy manufacturing. I've had no problems with my Luxos U.
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

g.meredith wrote:Busch & Muller D Toplight XS Senso Rear Battery LED Light - 50 / 80 mm Vario Fitting
B + M Toplight Line senso battery back light

Senso problems? I presume you've taken them back to the retailer for warranty work?
Neil
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I had a carrier based rearlight Toplight fail not due to electronics but rubbish mechanical switch and housing - after a few months of on and off the switch and housing around the switch cracked and disintegrated and broke up. One reason I got the equivalent dymano version which has been faultless. That was somne time ago maybe they dont use mechanical switchs now? BM lights are over priced some are good but some are badly cheaply made.
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

And the warranty?
Neil
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

WOOLIFERKINS wrote:And the warranty?

the shop swapped for the dyno one exactly the same to look at and build quality - hard plastic - but no switches to break
meic

Post by meic »

Busch and Muller Ixon IQ.

Two failed, they replaced the first but got funny about the second. The postage fees to Germany put me off bothering in the end also nobody seems to understand that you can not just stop cycling for a month waiting for it to be repaired. The price then came down and it made sense just to buy more of them.. I can still use it if I plug in the dynamo as well as the batteries which fits in with the fault being in the voltage regulator which is a common fault with them.

However all of my battery lights fail, I must ride in the wrong sort of rain and ice.
Yma o Hyd
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

You don't need to do your warranty with B&M direct just take them back to the retailer you got them from and they will sort warranty with the UK distributor
Neil
meic

Post by meic »

I had bought it at an address in Germany and now live in the UK.
It was over 2 years since I bought it and the dealer said mine pre-dated the lifetime guarantee.
Also that would have made an even longer chain of transport and yet more time without my light.
All with the chance that they might not give me a decent light at the end of it anyway.
Then on past experience, I would be doing it again before too long.
Yma o Hyd
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

Ah, I see. B&M have a two year warranty not lifetime
Neil
meic

Post by meic »

When the light first failed they were repairing all Ixon IQs without question as they knew it had an inherent flaw. I assume they valued their good name. Something had changed by the time it failed again.

I do think at some point they were giving a five year guarantee, I see my latest packaging doesnt say so and possibly it was my first light that had a five year guarantee and it had since changed to two. Which was the guarantee problem that I remember, with me being bounced between manufacturer and retailer until the retailer said they would act as if it was a five year guarantee and pass it to B&M as requested.
Yma o Hyd
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

The very first Ixons had a latch flaw which was dealt with with a redesign 7/8 years ago from memory. To the best of my knowledge B&M (as an ex retailer) were only two years as with all their products but I'll agree to differ. Usually outside the warranty period they will fix their products at a reasonable cost. Although I appreciate it going back and forward gets a little OTT on the less expensive lights. In 7 years as a retailer I had a couple of 1st generation Ixons back with the clasp problem. Other than that usually Senso's and very few of them. We sold hundreds of B&M products every year and returns were only ever in single figures each year
Neil