trek madone stolen or not

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
maxcherry

trek madone stolen or not

Post by maxcherry »

I saw a Trek Madone in one of the second hand shops near where i live. I have nothing against the shop.
I am worried that the person who buys the bike may be buying a stolen bike and they will lost the money they paid.
Do i ask the shop to check it with the police to check if it is stolen or do those type of shops do this automatically.

I wouldn't ask but the bike is full carbon and it still has the Garmin cadence mount on it, that is why i think that
the shop was sold a stolen bike.

Thank you.
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
Mark1978

Re: trek madone stolen or not

Post by Mark1978 »

Almost certainly stolen. You should inform the police.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

It's one of those shops you can take your electrical items or bikes in and either buy them back or sell after a month.
Not sure of the age of the bike, just that it is full carbon and at a very low price but still looks good (better after a clean)

Just the Garmin being attached to the bike just looks suspect. I will pass into the shop tomorrow and ask about it.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

The bigger chains usually require the seller to provide proof of ID and a photo of the seller is taken at the point of sale too.
The ex wife and I fell on particularly hard times a few years ago and that's how we know.
The police are aware that these sorts of shops are prone to flogging goods of questionable legal ownership as they advised me to check these shops after a burglary several years earlier.
Whether they can investigate on a civilians suspicion I've no idea.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

pose as an interested potential customer and ask about the bike inc whether they checked if it was stolen?
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
LondonBikeCommuter

Post by LondonBikeCommuter »

I think your jumping the gun some what..... its mid december and the kids are going to want father Christmas to visit in a couple of weeks add to that the harsh economic climate with bills going up and up. Its not out of the relms of possibility that with a few short term cash flow issues a known value item is a good way to generate some cash. If your going to buy it back why take the cadence sensor off or maybe the owner forgot about it. I've accidentally left my 810 on bike while I've been shopping. Speak to the shop by all means but the finger pointing at this point is in my view unwarranted.
nullemont

Post by nullemont »

If the frame is relatively new it should be traceable through the bar code on the frame. This assumes the original dealer recorded this number along with the purchasers details at the time of the sale Of course if it has been sold on by the original owner things could get a little more difficult.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

LondonBikeCommuter wrote:I think your jumping the gun some what..... its mid december and the kids are going to want father Christmas to visit in a couple of weeks add to that the harsh economic climate with bills going up and up. Its not out of the relms of possibility that with a few short term cash flow issues a known value item is a good way to generate some cash. If your going to buy it back why take the cadence sensor off or maybe the owner forgot about it. I've accidentally left my 810 on bike while I've been shopping. Speak to the shop by all means but the finger pointing at this point is in my view unwarranted.

Seeing as it was for sale on the shop floor with a price tag and the cadence sensor. Made me curious as to if the bike was stolen or not.
I did ask about the bike, they said they take the details of the seller if it is bought second hand (no original receipt)
bikes4two

Post by bikes4two »

Buying any second hand bike can be tricky in cases where provenance is unclear. I have bought a number of used bikes in my time, and have never knowingly bought anything dodgy :oops:

However, one day last summer, the police where running a stand by the Gosport ferry offering to register bikes: I declined the offer!

Why you may ask - well, if one of my second hand bikes had been stolen and registered, then I'd risk loosing it (through police recovering stolen goods) :roll:
Without my stoker, every trip would only be half a journey