World First Technology Connects Cycle Helmets With Cars

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/276 ... -with-cars

The technology consists of a connected car and helmet prototype that will establish 2-way communication offering proximity alerts to Volvo car drivers and cyclists and thereby avoid accidents. No car manufacturer has previously put a stake in the ground to help address the problem by using Connected Safety technology - until now.

Sounds like Christmas is coming early.

Perhaps a handlebar fitting could be provided for those without helmets. Are they trying to sell the helmets plus communication device? If the cyclist does not have a mobile phone could it still be used in some way or how could it be used?
[XAP]Bob

Re: World First Technology Connects Cycle Helmets With Cars

Post by [XAP]Bob »

50% of cyclists killed in traffic have collided with a car.

Two things occur..

Cars might not be the issue here, 50% of cyclists killed in traffic are involved in a collision with something MUCH rarer than a car....

"have collided with" really - active voice with the cyclist as a subject is rather pejorative - of course volvo, the car drivers can't be seen to be at fault at all.

One other thing occurs...
HUGE data rates, very low information content in the alert - which could easily be a bar mounted flasher/vibrating watch

Oh, and as a volvo driver I'm no alerted that the cyclist is aware that I'm approaching the junction, therefore they'll just have to stay out of my way...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

Could technology be provided with a direct signal from the bike powered by wheel rotation and detected by near by vehicles, no phones, quicker signal, cheaper solution perhaps. On roads with lots of cyclists how often would the signals be activated?

If all cars and bikes were fitted with suggested technology, at what cost per bike and car?
beardy

Post by beardy »

Isnt that called dynamo lights?
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

If I believed in 'him' I'd say God help us. I think the exact response is {FFE - family-friendly edit }! Volvo and other drivers, just use the eyes that you were born with!!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

This is spoof surely. and if not it is just so wrong I doubt there are 50,000 cyclists killed in the US each year for a start. ,

It is plain unbelievable. Any such device would put the blame onthe cyclist rather than the motorist. It is not up to the cyclists with any device to say I am here,and worry whether its working. It would give a false sense of security both to the drivers another excuse not to look properly, but also cyclists would have to determine whether the car pulling out was fitted with the device. I am not allowed to swear on here so I will what a load of old codswollop
NUKe

Post by Steady rider »

Nearly 50,000 cyclist fatalities and injuries in the US every year (NHTSA, Nov 2013)
about 700 deaths.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/Bicycles a lot of helmet focus
http://www.bikebiz.com/news/read/volvo- ... ces/017262
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/top/about/n ... itemid=175 Looks like Volvo are looking into some aspects.
http://www.volvocars.com/uk/top/about/n ... itemid=198

Beam me up scottie, if the vehicle is about to hit you.
Last edited by Steady rider on 19 Dec 2014, 6:30pm, edited 1 time in total.
RickH

Post by RickH »

NUKe wrote:This is spoof surely. and if not it is just so wrong I doubt there are 50,000 cyclists killed in the US each year for a start. ,

The article says "fatalities and injuries" as is often the case when talking up the potential dangers as you tend to read it as x fatalities plus more injuries rather than both combined.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
Steady rider

Post by Steady rider »

USA population about 320 million, 677 death, about 2.1 per million
UK about 110 from 60 million ish, about 1.8 per million

'50000' making cycling look very dangerous, good for selling helmets and such.