Brompton multitool concept feedback form

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
elliot tanner

Brompton multitool concept feedback form

Post by elliot tanner »

Hey everyone, (Brompton users only please)

Sorry to bother you all again but i am at the stage in my multitool development for Brompton where i need some feedback from some Brompton users. Once again i have created an online form for people to fill out. I would be really appriative if you could take a small amount of time to fill them in.

Each online form has 4 concepts on, each with it's own individual feedback box.

Concepts 1-4

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=W ... PMLg_3d_3d

Concepts 5-8

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=z ... Jmig_3d_3d

Concepts 9-12

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=c ... TN2w_3d_3d

Once again thank you for your time. If there are any problems with the form or if you have any questions please email me at Feedback@EJTannerDesign.co.uk so as not to take up board space and bother every user with emails.

As a side note, if any body is in the South Wales area and would be interested in doing some hands on user feedback with actual models and prototypes please get in contact on the above email address.

Kind Regards,

Elliot Tanner
epa611

Post by epa611 »

Like concept 7 the best.
elliot tanner

Post by elliot tanner »

epa611 wrote:Like concept 7 the best.

Thank you for the reply, did you state that on the feedback form?
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

Have entered comments on all designs. Like some, think some impractical. Definitely worth developing several!
JC4LAB

Post by JC4LAB »

The ideal multi brompton tool for me would be one which 1)Helps get a tough tyre off and on;tightens spokes;helps remove the back sprocket so you can change a broken spoke..
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I'm not a Brompton user, and in fact I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh!

But all these tools look wonderful!

Why only Bromptons? These tools need to be out there for us all.
Mick F. Cornwall
elliot tanner

Post by elliot tanner »

Mick F wrote:I'm not a Brompton user, and in fact I don't think I've ever seen one in the flesh!

But all these tools look wonderful!

Why only Bromptons? These tools need to be out there for us all.

I am doing the project for Brompton bicycles Ltd.

Thanks to everyone for there responses, getting some really good feedback.
Si

Post by Si »

And are you paying the CTC for the use of its message boards in your market research?
elliot tanner

Post by elliot tanner »

Si wrote:And are you paying the CTC for the use of its message boards in your market research?

No, im a university student.
Ben Lovejoy

Post by Ben Lovejoy »

I still think Brompton is the wrong market for this, as you don't actually need to repair them at the roadside.

However, if you generalise them (ie. spanners for standard-sized nuts on normal bikes), I think you have some real winners here. I've left feedback on the ones I like.
TRICE Q with Streamer fairing for the fun stuff
Brompton M3L for the commutery stuff
LEJOG blog: http://www.benlovejoy.com/cycle/tripreports/lejog/
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

JC4LAB - you should have no need for a broken spoke! New wheels are not well built but by re-tensioning (loosening or tightening to get each spoke to play the same musical note) you will give it all the strength needed. To remove/replace the circlip for the spockets, just use a fine screwdriver point.
Graham

Post by Graham »

. . . after further investigation, Elliot's post can stay.
elliot tanner

Post by elliot tanner »

Graham wrote:. . . after further investigation, Elliot's post can stay.

Thank you
johno

Post by johno »

I think Ben is right in saying that normally if you get a problem with your Brompton, you tend to fold it and get it transported home before beginning repairs. However, I have used my Brompton for a few days cycle touring and did take a multi tool with me - which fortunately I didn't need to use in the end.

For me, the biggest problem is trying to get Schwalbe Maarathon tyres on and off the wheels when replacing inner tubes using standard plastic tyre levers. Not a problem with larger wheels, but on the small 16" wheels it is a real effort! Is there a particular technique for this job or is there a brand of lever which is good with Brompton sized wheels?
MLJ

Post by MLJ »

To remove the cover, use fairly narrow levers and make sure that the tyre is well down off the rim shoulders all the way round before starting - get as much air out as possible!! To reseat the tyre, have very little air in the tube and wet the last bit of rim to help it slide on. If you still have difficulty, get a VAR lever which pulls the tyre back on like tweezers! A new tyre will always be tighter than an old one, which will have stretched. While the tyre is off, check the rim tape; if this has moved on to the shoulder then it will obstruct the cover, so reseat that first. Being small diameter, there is little spare tyre to play with!