10,000 miles in a year finally

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
geocycle

Re: 10,000 miles in a year finally

Post by geocycle »

mercalia wrote:dont want to be a kill joy but a very strange matter? are you really sure you did 10,000 miles? maybe you didnt set up your cycle computer properly? I suppose some where you have to put in the wheel diameter? maybe your 10,000 miles is 10,000 mini miles? :? :wink:

Ooh harsh!

I think 10000 miles in a year is amazing. I'm usually about 3500 miles and without some seriously long tour or a summer of audax I'd really struggle to get anywhere near that. Respect also to Eileithyia who I recall has done amount this for a number of years. Commuting helps of course but after a certain distance boredom becomes a major hurdle. Well done to all.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Monsieur wrote:Lot of miles!!
Commuting or pleasure?

Mixture of commuting, CTC rides, Audaxes, rides with friends, rides with my kids, shopping trips, rides just for the sake of it. If I commuted by the shortest route it would be about 4000 miles but I never go by the shortest route, And I have enjoyed every ride.

mercalia wrote:dont want to be a kill joy but a very strange matter? are you really sure you did 10,000 miles? maybe you didnt set up your cycle computer properly? I suppose some where you have to put in the wheel diameter? maybe your 10,000 miles is 10,000 mini miles? :? :wink:

As for the comments about my computer being set wrong, My GPS disagree with you
NUKe

Post by al_yrpal »

After my injury in July I have had to cut down distances with 15 to 25 miles being the limit, so only 3000 odd for me this year. But, if I was in Suffolk where there are no hills only slopes I might be doing more. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

I agree, Harsh. since i have had a garmin gps unit i have found some of previous distances were actually under distance, for example i recorded on one map that distance from where i usually park to the centre of Knutsford is 10 miles, last week i found it is actually 11.1, so i have been short changing myself before i had a garmin.
I stand and rejoice everytime I see a woman ride by on a wheel the picture of free, untrammeled womanhood. HG Wells
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

NUKe wrote:

As for the comments about my computer being set wrong, My GPS disagree with you

maybe. read this :(
http://cincyhalfmarathon.com/GPS%20Accuracy.pdf
beardy

Post by beardy »

The guy doesnt really know what he is talking about.

The GPS may be ten metres out but it is consistently misreading your position for long periods of the ride. So instead of the picture he drew with points all over the place, it would follow your track quite well but always nearly the same distance away from your true location.

So using his analogy it is like having the collie dog on the end of a towbar. Always in a slightly different place but doing the same distance.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Well done, NUKe and I'm sure you enjoyed every mile. :D

Perhaps a moderator might split the thread at this early stage, so that the interesting subject of inaccurate mileage measurement can be discussed elsewhere without raining on NUKe's parade. I imagine he's been rained on enough during 2014 already.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Read the linked article, and read others like it too.
Not really correct either.

The article supposes that the GPS device is plotting raw positions. If it were true - and I'm not saying it's not - the track displayed on a computer would show the staggered plots.

Trouble is, computers have programs, and these programs sort out the staggers.

My GPS is accurate to 7ft normally. Thick tree cover upsets it, but if it can see the sky ok, it's accurate to 8ft or maybe 10ft. Either way, 10mtrs is WAY wrong and completely factually incorrect! :lol:

Look at this map of my track in Tavistock recently.
I'm coming in from the south, then heading out southwest.
Can you see any stagger or inaccuracy of the track?
Does it look smooth?
Click for bigger views.
Screen shot 2014-12-23 at 15.24.40.png

The problem with that article, is that it suggests measuring 5k on an athletic track. The difficulty GPS has is starting at start point and finishing at end point. If you were to do a "flying start" and a flying finish, then crop out the track from the start point to the end point, I reckon it would be correct.

Any road up, this is completely off topic and should not detract from a WONDERFUL achievement.
Congratulations, I'm well impressed. :D :D :D
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

beardy wrote:The guy doesnt really know what he is talking about.

The GPS may be ten metres out but it is consistently misreading your position for long periods of the ride. So instead of the picture he drew with points all over the place, it would follow your track quite well but always nearly the same distance away from your true location.

So using his analogy it is like having the collie dog on the end of a towbar. Always in a slightly different place but doing the same distance.

depends on what type of error is involved? if its a random type error then your view dont hold? I suppose you would get the type of errors described if reception not the best?
beardy

Post by beardy »

I am going on what actually happens.

In my early days with a GPS (before they had mapping in) I took a walk through the forest, you could even see which side of the track I was on walking back, compared to when I walked out.

I could repeat my walk a few days later and it would leave an identical track but offset by a few (or even more) metres.

On a bike they will slightly under read the mileage as they take the shortest route between points and the bike doesnt quite manage that.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Find a straight bit of dual carriageway and measure the distance along it using the 100mtr markers.
I did this, and my GPS was correct over 12Km on the A30.
Mick F. Cornwall
mrjemm

Post by mrjemm »

Good stuff Nuke! I wish I got to ride that much and could keep up the drive and determination.

Mick, I am curious about your track. Did you go for a wander after the roundabout? Or just like playing chicken on the wrong side of the road? Or could that be the GPS wandering...

Anyway, normally it could all depend on the update rate of the GPS device and the filtering in use. Also, when putting GPS data into a computer, certain software will use a lower sample rate also- when putting my Garmin data into RidewithGPS, points are lost. In the grand scheme of things, GPS is going to pretty damn good, and I have no doubt Nuke's done so close to his measured value it's not worth being pedantic about it. I don't want to think too much about all this though, and agree with TC about splitting the 2 discussions.
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

Chapeau to you sir.

I have managed 4983.49 miles and need another 17 before the end of the year for the 5000.

My longest ride was 81 miles on July 27th but was probably also the hilliest. :D
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

10,000 miles is a fantastic achievement in one year, well done!
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

NUKe very well done indeed.
reohn2 - I empathise with you. Sickness, bad weather and caring for another has drastically cut mine down to the lowest in over 14 years - I'm just within striking distance of 2000 miles if I go out tomorrow and at least one other day.