Drop bars on an mtb?

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
JordanEkland

Drop bars on an mtb?

Post by JordanEkland »

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a bike soon for touring to Norway from England next year, looking to pick up a cannondale cx3 or something similar in the next month or two.

I'm just wondering whether fitting drop bars to a bike like that would be possible and the pros/cons of doing it.

I have little experience with bikes, but just figured drop bars may be more suitable for long distance so I have more positions to ride in?

But yeah, if anyone could let me know the pros/cons and if it's worth doing that would be great.

Thanks,

Jordan
Valbrona

Re: Drop bars on an mtb?

Post by Valbrona »

But what's a Cannondale CX3?
Last edited by Valbrona on 28 Dec 2014, 11:43pm, edited 1 time in total.
I should coco.
JordanEkland

Post by JordanEkland »

Uh, not the same thing I'm looking at exactly actually aha, will find a link now
JordanEkland

Post by JordanEkland »

http://www.gumtree.com/p/other-sports-l ... 1090823166 this is what I was looking at originally, are drop bars an option/worthwhile or are there other options for varying riding position?
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I had a very similar bike which I planned to use as a commuter so I fitted it up with a rack and small panniers only to discover I couldn't pedal it as my heels hit the panniers.
Just something to bear in mind.
gaz

Post by gaz »

Butterfly bars?

You'll be able to use the existing shifters and brake levers.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
JordanEkland

Post by JordanEkland »

JordanEkland

Post by JordanEkland »

gaz wrote:Butterfly bars?

Oh cool, that's another option then! So if I went with drop bars how hard is it to change levers/shifters?
JordanEkland

Post by JordanEkland »

SteveHunter wrote:I had a very similar bike which I planned to use as a commuter so I fitted it up with a rack and small panniers only to discover I couldn't pedal it as my heels hit the panniers.
Just something to bear in mind.

Yeah someone else said to make sure of that, so I'll keep it in mind when I find one I want to buy, thanks!
beardy

Post by beardy »

JordanEkland wrote:
gaz wrote:Butterfly bars?

Oh cool, that's another option then! So if I went with drop bars how hard is it to change levers/shifters?

You can not use the existing levers and shifters on the drop bars. The replacement ones are expensive, STI units for drop bars being amongst the most expensive of components.
Then they may not be suitable for your existing brakes anyway.

If you are buying a new bike anyway then it is hard for it to be a feasible way of doing things (buying straight and converting to drop.)
Butterflies on the other hand can be as little as £18 for a pair of bars to do the job.
JordanEkland

Post by JordanEkland »

Okay, well I'll definitely take a look into the butterfly bars then!
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

I use a 'roadified' MTB, but I was sure to buy a fully rigid one - a front suspension fork on roads really saps your energy. I opted for a cheap Dawes MTB (Dawes Saratoga Rigid) and fitted slick-ish tyres and butterfly-style bars (Humpert ErgoTec from SJS). Yeah, one of the problems with fitting drop bars is that the brake and shift levers are not compatible, and the top tube on an MTB can be really long making the reach to the drops too far.
I should coco.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Works for me.
I disagree that front suspension does any noticeable harm to anything, your not TT'ing are you.
Panniers need to be mounted as far back on rack as possible, I have panniers on two MTB's.

Edited - MTB's are two a penny of course, this owes me about £80 - 100 even though that cost consists of half the bits coming from my stock (bought them off myself) thats for 4000 miles of riding over a year.
Attachments
DSC00838-b.jpg
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
RonK

Drop bars on an mtb?

Post by RonK »

Perhaps you should be looking at bikes like the Salsa Fargo or Specialized Awol, or if you have deep pockets, the CoMotion Divide.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels
JordanEkland

Post by JordanEkland »

RonK wrote:Perhaps you should be looking at bikes like the Salsa Fargo or Specialized Awol, or if you have deep pockets, the CoMotion Divide.

Fargo looks perfect, sadly I don't have a grand to spend haha!