Them self sealing inner tubes?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
sreten

Re: Them self sealing inner tubes?

Post by sreten »

Hi,

No doubt some products are better / different to others, but the stuff that
works short term term great doesn't last, and is not intended to, and people
have experience of "slime" over the years it has existed, and it was certainly
awfull stuff when I came across it on a folder I bought used many years ago.

Trouble is, the technical details then were poor, and still are. Slime is
"de rigour" for tubeless MTB tyres, and never mentioned for road tyres.
Slime for a tyre is going to very different to slime for a tube.

The self opiniated claiming all others are delusional doesn't help.

"Slime is guaranteed to perform for up to 2 years!"

What does that mean ? Nothing after two years and nothing before that. It
basically means it may still work after two years in exceptional circumstances,
but if it doesn't work after 12 months, so what, the "guarantee" is still valid.

The self opiniated can be very clueless.

rgds, sreten.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

sreten wrote:The self opiniated claiming all others are delusional doesn't help.

Not sure anyone has said you're delusional, just wrong in this instance.
You've admitted that you don't know how the stuff works,

Phil Fouracre wrote:I took out a tube that has probably been in for a few years now, deflated it, and worked around it. No sign of any lumpiness, it felt slippery and liquid throughout. Find it funny that in a discussion like this people come out with such rubbish, based on no factual evidence whatsoever.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Eammno

Post by Eammno »

Asda were doing inner tubes pre-filled with puncture sealant, so I thought I'd give them a whirl.
The first failed after a year, the second a couple of months later.
They both failed the same way, a bubble of inner tube forming at the base of the valve stem, which, I guess given a bit more time would have burst.
I was disapointed to find neither had been punctured, so couldn't comment as to how effective the self sealing is, but I did wonder if the sealent caused degradation of the adhesive (or what ever) to allow the valve stem to separate from the inner tube and cause this failure.
sreten

Post by sreten »

[XAP]Bob wrote:You've admitted that you don't know how the stuff works,

Hi,

No I haven't. You tell me how it works.

rgds, sreten.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You said it reacts with air... Which has been refuted, both here and on the product manufacturers website.

How does Slime work?
Slime coats the inside of the tire within the tread area, allowing the product to seal tread area punctures. When the tire is punctured, the escaping air carries the sealant to the puncture. The liquid portion of the sealant escapes and the fibers and binders build-up and intertwine to form a flexible plug. This will allow the product to instantly seal any puncture that may occur.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I am going to buy one today, maybe more in the future if they are ok. Don't know if i'll get Slime or Halfords brand at the moment.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

WrightsW5 wrote:I am going to buy one today, maybe more in the future if they are ok. Don't know if i'll get Slime or Halfords brand at the moment.

Get Slime. Halfords isnt a proper bike shop.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I think I will. Possibly though the Halfords may be made by the same factory if they make them for several companies. Like Velo make saddles with various brand names for example.
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

I bought a Slime, it has Chinese rubber and USA Slime. The Halfords had no info of origin on the package.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

WrightsW5 wrote:I bought a Slime, it has Chinese rubber and USA Slime. The Halfords had no info of origin on the package.

Have no time for Halfords. Bought some 700c tyres once that turned out to be 680c so had a large flat spot that when fitted went bump bump bump..(and they wouldnt accept a return).
WrightsW5

Post by WrightsW5 »

Yes, their own brand stuff can be really bad. I have bought some rubbish lights off them in the past.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

And their own brand stuff can be really good - their customer service in terms of returns is normally good, and their click and collect allows you to easily order a couple of items to compare and then only collect one...