Responsive Bike

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
meic

Responsive Bike

Post by meic »

There is a thread running asking for suggestions for a responsive bike.

What responsive means is something that people just intuitively know, I guess.
Except for me that is, so I havent a clue what people are talking about.

I would have an idea with a motorbike, throttle response, power, light steering, sharp brakes that dont throw you off.
Yma o Hyd
sreten

Re: Responsive Bike

Post by sreten »

Hi,

The thread is essentially nonsense, and there is nothing to add.

Especially as its with fat tyres, it is clearly wishful thinking.

rgds, sreten.
honesty

Post by honesty »

I wouldn't write it off as nonsense, and fatter tyres don't automatically mean slow.

I personally just take it to mean a bike with a more sporty geometry and a bit lighter, but not a super light twitchy race bike.
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

I have always taken responsive to mean a bike that surges forward when you pedal and reacts quickly to rider inputs. A bike that effectively feels light, regardless of actual weight.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I shout at mine when I want to go more quickly.

I'm still waiting for a response.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

elPedro666 wrote:I have always taken responsive to mean a bike that surges forward when you pedal and reacts quickly to rider inputs. A bike that effectively feels light, regardless of actual weight.
Me too.
Mick F. Cornwall
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

With bikes, I associate responsiveness to how well I can feel the surface I'm riding on and how quickly I can respond to that, via the bike. However, it's not a clear characteristic. It is largely subjective, and also relative.

So, 2 or 3 factors are involved: stiffness, steering geometry, and perhaps weight, or transmission efficiency. In general, a stiff, light frame, and new drive train will be more responsive than a heavy, flexible frame and worn components. Things like suspension and fat tyres will reduce reponsiveness. And a responsive touring bike is different than a responsive road bike is different than a responsive mountain bike.

Because it is subjective and relative, I don't think it is a ridiculous thread. But I also don't know if other people can contribute much, except to say what each individual prefers.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

I'd guess the acceleration thing as mentioned (my TSR is a lot more responsive to effort going up a hill than my Brom), but also steering. Responsive is what people who like twitchy steering call twitchy steering. Twitchy is what people who dislike responsive steering call responsive steering...

Try a Moulton or a Brom and try them no-hands. They're not impossible to ride no handed but they're certainly a lot harder than a road bike, tourer, or (especially) a classic roadster. On the other hand they're very nippy through tight corners in traffic. A bike with lots of trail tends to have self-centring steering, but a "responsive" bike doesn't, you have to exert more control but you potentially get more control in return.

I first came across the term in skiing, cross country skis described as being "more responsive" on cornering compared to alpine downhill skis because they're so much lighter. That is, they respond far more to the terrain than alpine bulldozers, rather than they respond far more easily to the skier's wishes, so they require more input/technique.

It's really down to preference. You choose, you lose, in other words.

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
elPedro666

Post by elPedro666 »

"Responsive is what people who like twitchy steering call twitchy steering"

[emoji1]
Hard to argue with that! Made me chuckle as it's a perfect distillation of the kind of the kind of subjective description we're discussing.
mjr

Post by mjr »

I think my Revolution Streetfinder is responsive. It steers and accelerates easily and the V brakes are pretty good stoppers, although its 16kg isn't light. I'm often amazed how "point and whoosh" it feels after riding most other bikes. Most dramatic is when it's the last leg of a journey preceded by a train and a London hire bike... which might be sturdy and easy but you'd never call those responsive, would you?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
On a good day an old hack can feel like lightning...........especially when your leaving others behind.
But on a bad day no hyper plastic fabrication will be worth a dollar when you get overtaken by a shopper with tweeds and trouser clips.................
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

elPedro666 wrote:I have always taken responsive to mean a bike that surges forward when you pedal and reacts quickly to rider inputs. A bike that effectively feels light, regardless of actual weight.

+1
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Saw this tonight on TV.........anything can be responsive :lol:
[youtube]D-vbZFhY4_Y[/youtube]
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.