Pitlocks

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
climo

Pitlocks

Post by climo »

Obviously they secure things but are they any good? Do they stop thieves? Do you still need to secure your wheels? Are they a real pain to undo?
Basically are they worth the hassle & expense?
I want to secure a rohloff hub on a Thorn bike plus a dynohub.

Any alternative systems or methods?
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Pitlocks

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
After several bike thefts, I have a skip bike and leave my good bikes for rides where I will never leave my bike.

But I never leave my bike anywhere where I cant see it.
A skip bike or two or three wouldn't break the bank or your heart when they are gone.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
climo

Post by climo »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
After several bike thefts, I have a skip bike and leave my good bikes for rides where I will never leave my bike.

But I never leave my bike anywhere where I cant see it.
A skip bike or two or three wouldn't break the bank or your heart when they are gone.

Agree with you but on tours with a better bike I was hoping to minimise the chances of theft & of the need to carry multiple locks ie weight / bulk carried. We can then go off for a days sightseeing leaving the bikes securely locked to a bike stand, etc with all the easily removable bits secured. Not a cheaper option I know but then neither are the bikes!
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

The Atomic22 system is regarded as being more thief-proof than the Pitlocks. I'm not sure I would trust a Pitlock for all-day out of sight - it would depend a bit where you were. Costs more than the Pitlocks but may well be worth it for you.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

I've used pitlocks on a rohloff and son dynohub since 2006. They are fine to use as long as you dont lose the key! They are a significant depeterent against casual thefts and mean I can leave the front wheel unlocked with some confidence. I definitely would not be happy with QR on such expensive hubs. I tend to try and put my lock through the backwheel and rear triangle anyway so the rohloff gets double protection. I've no experience of the atomic system but heard good reports. No system is 100% secure to tooled up and clued up thieves, or someone prepared to destroy the frame with an angle grinder, but fortunately the odds of coming up against one of those types is small in my part of the world.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

climo wrote:..... We can then go off for a days sightseeing leaving the bikes securely locked to a bike stand, etc

You must be joking if you think you can do that and rest easy and have a good time while away from the bikes unless locked up in an hotel room!
climo

Post by climo »

mercalia wrote:
climo wrote:..... We can then go off for a days sightseeing leaving the bikes securely locked to a bike stand, etc

You must be joking if you think you can do that and rest easy and have a good time while away from the bikes unless locked up in an hotel room!

Ok but what happens if you're camping? Or somewhere for a lunch stop? I know that there isn't really any answer esp. with luggage. However you can make it very much harder for the thieves.
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

climo wrote:
mercalia wrote:

Ok but what happens if you're camping? Or somewhere for a lunch stop? I know that there isn't really any answer esp. with luggage. However you can make it very much harder for the thieves.

Yes, I'm quite laid back in most places after you've taken sensible precautions. Pitlocks a gold standard lock and maybe insurance give some peace of mind. You have to assess the risk in terms of location.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

climo wrote:
mercalia wrote:

well camping its either been deserted places and any way I dont let the bike out of my sight ( dont go wandering off on foot ) or have been camping where they have lockups but there again usually places well away from thieves. Lunch stops can be different as not away for long and any way I lock it where I am nearby. Anyway you suggested going off for a few days ( leaving the bike.....unless I got it wrong
Last edited by mercalia on 11 Jan 2015, 9:04pm, edited 1 time in total.
climo

Post by climo »

mercalia wrote:well camping its either been deserted places and any way I dont let the bike out of my sight ( dont go wandering off on foot ) or have been camping where they have lockups but there again usually places well away from thieves. Lunch stops can be different as not away for long and any way I lock it where I am nearby. Anyway uou suggested going off for a few days ( leaving the bike.....unless I got it wrong

Just a days sightseeing, say around museums, etc. Not several days on the go.

Looks like the Atomic22 system is very good. Not cheap but better than losing bits & maybe the same kind of cost as a good D lock to secure the front wheel
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I still wouldnt be happy leaving locked a bike in an unknown public situation for more than an hour. In fact I wont do that at all - I would choose the place to eat where I can see it. I must lead a very boring life as a result lol. But I still have my bike. lets us know how you get on....
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
mercalia wrote:I still wouldnt be happy leaving locked a bike in an unknown public situation for more than an hour. In fact I wont do that at all - I would choose the place to eat where I can see it. I must lead a very boring life as a result lol. But I still have my bike.

+1..Probably the only way in my experience.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

........ and me.
Never leave your bike out of sight.

A lock will only keep an honest man out.
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Or they do this;
P1080209 (640x531).jpg
out of spite, sights like these are not uncommon in Leeds City center unfortunately.
Nu-Fogey
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

As I have said a few time, my Dawes Horizon frame was smashed in SAINSBURYS CAR PARK where I had gone shopping - less than an hour. Some one had tried to steal it found all the bits were locked down so smashed the frame with I think a trolly - probably kids as some where hanging around looking and scuttled off when they saw me upset. Pure spite "If I cant have it neither will you"

I cant have it neither will you
I cant have it neither will you
Last edited by mercalia on 12 Jan 2015, 10:15pm, edited 1 time in total.