Stem Adaptors!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
pixel_junkie

Stem Adaptors!

Post by pixel_junkie »

Hey guys! Very new here so bear with me.

I have an old Alan bike, it's got a pair of Vitus threaded forks on it but the threaded section comes up about 2mm over the head tube. Now, instead of replacing the forks, could I use a stem adaptor or will this make the bike unstable? I understand I will need a new stem and possibly new bars etc. Or, do I need to buy new threaded forks then buy the stem adaptor?

Here's a pic of the ol' girl:

10849795_10152609375523253_4160450938650357086_n.jpg

Any help would be much appreciated!
Vantage

Re: Stem Adaptors!

Post by Vantage »

If I understand you problem correctly, then you'll need a threaded headset spacer. Like this...

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/headset-spac ... tomsection
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
pixel_junkie

Post by pixel_junkie »

Sorry I should be clearer. I want to replace my quill stem with something more up to date.

As the threads on the fork barely come up over the head tube (imagine this - Image
but seeing less thread), would it be possible to attach a stem adaptor or will I need to replace my forks then get the stem adaptor?
gerrymcm

Post by gerrymcm »

I reckon you need what vantage suggested plus one of these
http://www.highonbikes.com/bbb-extender ... apter.html

With the 1" threaded headset spacer you'll hide the threads and with BBB adapter you'll convert the 1" threaded forks to take a more modern 1" 1/8th stem.

Is that what you're after?

[Edit] I've used these adapters on a couple of bikes without issue.

Gerry
Last edited by gerrymcm on 12 Jan 2015, 8:31pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

if you want to commit suicide then by all means try and clamp something over the threaded part of the steerer.... it isn't meant for that, not at all....

But if you want to do something vaguely sensible, you could buy a quill to Ahead converter that has a quill section that goes inside the steerer just like a quill stem does. Like this one;

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/genetic-quill-stem-adaptor-1-inch-quill-to-1-1-8-inch-threadless-adaptor-prod22444/

Personally I would sooner paint a comedy moustache onto the Mona Lisa than nail a fugly Ahead stem onto a Vitus fork/Alan frame like yours, but hey, each to his own....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
seph

Post by seph »

:D :D

Both the stem adaptors above do the same thing, not sure what the top screw on one is for really... As long as there's a conventional expander type thingy inside those forks it will be ok.

Ahead stems might not be pretty, but are easier for jobs like removing the handlebars. Are you after an increase in bar height too?
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

If your measurement doesn't include a headset, then the BBB adaptor mentioned above is probably the cheapest solution, but because your old threaded headset doesn't fit you'll need a threadless ahaedset, or a threaded>threadless headset converter http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/38110812 ... 108&ff19=0 This just replaces the lock nut with a slip on top race cover. Then you can install the BBB adaptor along with enough ahead spacers for a full ahead set up.
pixel_junkie

Post by pixel_junkie »

Cheers for all your replies! It was something I've been wanting to look at for a while but never got around to it.

Brucey - I get what you're saying; perfectly nice as it is!

Seph - yes, looking to raise them a little. Perhaps should have done a bit more research and discover that there are adjustable quill stems available.

Again, thanks all. Have a good day.
Si

Post by Si »

Virtually all quill stems in themselves are adjustable - undo the bolt and slide it up or down until the bars are at the correct height - check that you've not taken it up over the "max" line marked on the side.

If yours won't come up high enough then it'll be less effort to get a new quill stem that has a longer bit that goes down into the steerer. The only advantage that you get from an ahead stem conversion is the front loader clamp for the bars (which you can get on some quill stems). But to have gotten your old stem off you'd have had to remove the brake lever and bar tape anyway so this isn't such a great advantage.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

ahead 12.jpg
My 531 frames with their Halfords ahead stem adaptors and stems from Decathlon and various other places ...probably JE James. They look and work fine. and did not cost the earth.
Attachments
ahead 21.jpg
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Pixel Junkie, I'm having some difficulty understanding your requirements and I suspect that other posters are too, because...
pixel_junkie wrote:...it's got a pair of Vitus threaded forks on it but the threaded section comes up about 2mm over the head tube.
...will not be addressed with an ahead/quill adaptor. Assuming that the forks are not original, is this measurement with any headset parts in situ? Your description doesn't seem to match the photo, which is of an intact bike.

If all you need is a raised stem, then for such a nice looking bike there are higher quill stems available (Nitto etc), but an adjustable stem wouldn't really suit the aesthetics, nor are they that reliable (and I don't think a decent quality adjustable quill is available).

But if the fork really doesn't fit the frame, then you will need either a new fork, or a new longer steerer welded on, or the solution I mentioned up thread.