Mel Vasey

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
JamesAC

Mel Vasey

Post by JamesAC »

Killed on Sunday in Birkenhead after a collision with a car. A colleague suffered multiple broken bones. A man has been arrested for causing death by dangerous driving.

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 263169.stm

Meanwhile, a driver who killed a woman by ploughing his truck into her car whilst he was on his mobile had his sentance of four (yes, that's "4") years confirmed; however, his seven year ban has been reduced to 5 by the appeal judges.

So. I wonder what meaty sentance awaits the Birkenhead driver, assuming he's convicted?

James
reohn2

Re: Mel Vasey

Post by reohn2 »

JamesAC wrote:Killed on Sunday in Birkenhead after a collision with a car. A colleague suffered multiple broken bones. A man has been arrested for causing death by dangerous driving.

see http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 263169.stm

Meanwhile, a driver who killed a woman by ploughing his truck into her car whilst he was on his mobile had his sentance of four (yes, that's "4") years confirmed; however, his seven year ban has been reduced to 5 by the appeal judges.

So. I wonder what meaty sentance awaits the Birkenhead driver, assuming he's convicted?

James

The truck driver will free in two years or less and allowed to drive in three (if he applies for his licence back).
Sad to hear of another needless death and badly injured cyclist.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

Long term solution is education, sadly it is very long term. In the short term, I suppose we have to get the law to bring about the potential for change in attitude. But surely the ban should last for life, it does for the victim!
JamesAC

Post by JamesAC »

If the driver has been arrested for causing death by dangerous driving, then he or she is entirely culpable. It's not as if some unforseen event (like a tyre bursting and sending the car into a skid) happened.

In the circumstances, because an innocent party has been deprived of life directly because of the actions of another, that other party should, I think, be locked up for a very long time, and never be allowed to drive again.

James
Hugo

Post by Hugo »

Mr Vasey was the owner of the popular Liverpool bike shop Quinns Bike Centre.

CTC has extended its symapathies to the Mel Vaisey family,
and CTC mb'ers have done too.
abvasey

Post by abvasey »

Hi my name is Andrew Vasey, i am the son of Mel Vasey. i appreciate you sympathey to us, but please dont mention anything about the other guy who killed my father. thankyou
Hugo

Condolences and sympathies

Post by Hugo »

Hello Andrew,

We were all very sorry to hear of the death of such a dedicated campaigner.
You know we will certainly do exactly as you wish.

Kind regards and deep condolences from us all at the MB/CTC
abvasey

changing the A540

Post by abvasey »

hi i want to know how to change the A540 road, with it being a very used road for cyclist and having a number of accidents including my father (Mel Vasey).

i propose either or both a cycle lane to be but in place or a reduction in speed, if that is not possible, i want at least a reduction at the Eurka cafe were other cyclists meet.

i have contacted someone in the Cheshire county council and asked here if she can advise me on the procedure of making changes to the road. she has promised to get in touch with relvant information shortly.

but i would also like the backing of organistions such as the CTC and Road peace.

if anyone has any information or surggestions please contact me. thankyou
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Andrew

Can I suggest that a starting point may be the CTC Right to Ride network. If you go to the bit on the CTC Homepage, there is a Campaigning link which takes you to 'Get involved'. The advantage of at least getting in touch with your local Right to Ride rep., is that they will be familiar with all the local officials etc., There may also be plans already in the pipeline for the road in question and they should be able to help you with that. CTC RtoR reps have a comprehensive manual of advice and they will be able to help you come up with effective proposals. If there is no local rep or you have difficulty making contact I suggest the 'contact us' link at the bottom of the homepage there is a specific address for campaigning.
Mick Agar
Don T

Post by Don T »

As RTR for Liverpool and secretary of the Merseyside Cycling Campaign I am as concerned, as we all are, to support the 'A5 40mph Campaign' that BNECC have launched. I am in email contact with members of the BNECC and we are considering a number of proposals to take forward to local MP's and politicians.

I can be contacted through this Forum or the MCC website at www.merseyworld.com/mcc.

Don
abvasey

The Verdict

Post by abvasey »

Hi i am Andrew Vasey the son of Melvin Vasey, and i thought i would tell what happenend to the court case. The person in question, got a £400 fine and a 6 month suspension from driving and he has to re-sit his driving test again. The good news is he did plead guilty in the end, and we are at least grateful for that.
Tynan

Post by Tynan »

£400 and six months suspended for death by dangerous driving?
eileithyia

Post by eileithyia »

.... thanks for letting us know and continued commiserations for your loss.
What price a life......?
Will there be any compensation or is that an ongoing situation?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Tynan wrote:£400 and six months suspended for death by dangerous driving?

I simply can't believe what I'm reading.
Your saying the driver was fined £400 and suspended from driving for six months for the offence of dangerous driving where someone was killed as a direct result?
I find this incredible.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Pure speculation on my part but the driver has agreed to plead guilty to driving without due care and attention.

(The law has more recently been changed so that there is now an offence of causing death by driving w/o due care and attention, so that outcomes like this are avoided in future. Unfortunately, I expect it will lead to more plea bargaining, reducing causing death by dangerous driving to this new lesser charge.)