Steve abraham attempt

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
roberts8

Steve abraham attempt

Post by roberts8 »

I have looked for a site showing the cumalative miles to see how he is doing against the record but all I can find is Strava showing each daily ride. I do not fancy adding them all up as the weeks go by so has anyone found a site I have missed please.
Grandad

Re: Steve abraham attempt

Post by Grandad »

Loads about this on the yacf forum. There's a new thread for each day that gives mileage info - today's is https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=87301.0

182 miles today, 953 total in first 5 days.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

http://www.strava.com/athletes/1419435

You shouldn't need to log in to see his "Year-to-Date" mileage as a summary. Strava is showing 953.9 miles to date :shock:
Last edited by keyboardmonkey on 6 Jan 2015, 6:05am, edited 1 time in total.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Somebody posted the link http://trackleaders.com/oneyeartimetrial15i.php?name=Steve_Abraham (on this forum) on another thread about the attempt. It seems to show a real'ish time track and info about what he is doing now. But either I can't use it properly or the info is not very useful when I comes to giving info about how his record attempt is progressing.

Ian
beardy

Post by beardy »

I was thinking that at my rate of using up consumables on a bike that would be around £3,000-4,000 on all those mileage related consumables!

It is delightful to see some individual, with help from the cycling community rather than through some corporate scheme, taking on this record.
keyboardmonkey

Post by keyboardmonkey »

Psamathe wrote:Somebody posted the link http://trackleaders.com/oneyeartimetrial15i.php?name=Steve_Abraham ... either I can't use it properly or the info is not very useful when I comes to giving info about how his record attempt is progressing.

Ian

The progress has been removed because it recorded straight line point-to-point sampling every few minutes - so it was misleadingly showing a lower figure than the actual miles covered. It does still show where Steve Abraham is (or was), but Strava at the end of the ride is the definitive record. Some more links from this page:

http://cycleseven.org/steve-abraham-att ... ear-record
beardy

Post by beardy »

It is substantially more miles than I ever did in a year on my motorcycle as a full time long distance despatch rider!!!!
edocaster

Post by edocaster »

Crazy! But what are the rules for this? Is he allowed to get a train to somewhere at high elevation with a long route downhill? Or draft a van for several hours? How about using a velodrome? Might as well think tactically if the goal is to break the record.

Still, for sheer commitment this is pretty much mind-blowing.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Pace setting by cyclists is allowed, Tommy was joined by several clubs who helped in that way, drafting a motor vehicle is probably not allowed, no idea if/how it'd be policed though.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
beardy

Post by beardy »

Drafting a vehicle when you hit lucky is acceptable to most of us (swings and roundabouts here as sometimes you are obstructed by other vehicles and how do you tell drafting from "stuck behind"?) but arranging a motor vehicle to draft would be cheating.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

1830 miles over 133.5 hrs so far as of right now..
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

He's doing well.
I cannot even contemplate how long he has to go per day. :shock:

Not wishing to decry his monumental efforts, but he's riding in Flatlandia.
According to Strava, he's doing only 30ft per mile. I don't blame him in the slightest for not coming to Cornwall, but I have to ride 100ft per mile every time I go out. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
easyroller

Post by easyroller »

Apparently he took a little tumble on some ice this morning, but still getting some big mileage in (he's okay by all reports).

Mick F wrote:Not wishing to decry his monumental efforts, but he's riding in Flatlandia.
According to Strava, he's doing only 30ft per mile. I don't blame him in the slightest for not coming to Cornwall, but I have to ride 100ft per mile every time I go out. :wink:

When the goal is purely distance orientated, you'd be mad not to!
Also check out his average heart rates for his rides, he's keeping it seriously low.
Last edited by easyroller on 14 Jan 2015, 9:44pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Mick F wrote:He's doing well.
I cannot even contemplate how long he has to go per day. :shock:

Not wishing to decry his monumental efforts, but he's riding in Flatlandia.

But you're doing exactly that by making a comparison to your own personal rides :roll:
Flat would be zero ft elevation, 30ft/mile over every single mile of the 206 average he needs to do every day is equivalent to 62 miles of 100ft/mile every single day (in elevation terms) come rain or shine. Given how windy it has being this month and the distances involved to call his rides flatlandia is insulting IMO..
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

I hope he doesn't meet the motorist I met last week!