Interesting.

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
bigjim

Interesting.

Post by bigjim »

Vorpal

Re: Interesting.

Post by Vorpal »

Hardly even-handed. I don't know how it is in Manchester, but 36 motorists and 18 cyclists indicates they have disproportionately targetted cyclists. :shock:

What modal share do pedal cycles have in Manchester? 1%? 2%? Yet they get 30% of the fines? What's wrong with this picture?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

You have a point and it's probably easier to grab a cyclist than a motorist. However that particular area is heaving with cyclists as it's the student corridor into the city centre. I also have to admit the worst, unlawful cycling I have ever seen is on that particular stretch.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Say's it all.
I see no issue with this.
Screen shot 2015-01-17 at 10.20.30.png
Mick F. Cornwall
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

To be honest, I'm surprised there weren't more cyclists fined.
I cycle into Manchester on a regular basis and it amazes me at how many don't use lights, jump red lights, ride on the footpath and generally cycle like complete and utter morons. A lot of them are a million times worse than the drivers.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Rob Archer

Post by Rob Archer »

How many people are killed or seriously injured by cyclists in Greater Manchester? How many killed or injured by car drivers? Its all about priorities.
nez

Post by nez »

I'd say riding with no lights and rlj-ing is likely to turn you into a victim while riding on the footpath is unfair on pedestrians and risks making one (victim) of them. I don't see a problem with the police action.

(edited for clarity)
Last edited by nez on 18 Jan 2015, 9:59pm, edited 2 times in total.
Postboxer

Post by Postboxer »

Also it's much easier to spot the cyclist ones, quite hard to spot no seatbelt, or any fault with the cars going by such as bald tyres, compared to no lights on a cycle.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Rob Archer wrote:How many people are killed or seriously injured by cyclists in Greater Manchester? How many killed or injured by car drivers? Its all about priorities.

I find inconsiderate cycling when I'm walking a bit of a concern,a worry even,and whilst I'd rather be hit by a bike than a car,I'd rather not be hit by either.
My pet hate are pavement riding cyclists on crowded footways in towns and cities,old folks and the very young are risk by such behaviour.
Riding without lights at night and RLJing is stupidly risky behaviour,so I can only agree with some other posters that offenders should be booked and or warned of their stupid actions.
And all that x10 for motorists.
If the police are having a crackdown they book who they see breaking the law not by ratio.
What does give me cause for concern is that bad and dangerous cycling gives cycling a bad name,whereas bad driving doesn't have the same effect for motoring :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I think cycling is stuck between a rock and a hard place at times. A lot of people ride on the pavement because they are wary of riding on the road. Whether that fear has any merit is debatable. That area of Manchester, I have been told, sees a lot of cycling accidents and the roads are very conjested.
Funnily enough GMP were complaining they had only four officers on duty on New Years Eve, yet they have enough for this.
My son is a Police officer in GMP and is solo manned on all his shifts because of the officer shortage. He tells me he ignores errant cyclists. He just does not have the time to deal with such minor issues. He sees it as a PCSO thing and I believe their advice is, if pavement riding is not a risk to the public, leave it alone.
He does however come down hard on mobile phone use.
andy65

Post by andy65 »

Why does this have to be seen as anti cyclist? Shouldn't we just be grateful that the police are taking traffic offences seriously. It sometimes seems that the police only treat it as a priority after someone is killed.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

andy65 wrote:It sometimes seems that the police only treat it as a priority after someone is killed.

http://madcyclelanesofmanchester.blogsp ... g.html?m=1

Ironic really isn't it?
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
ferdinand

Post by ferdinand »

Interesting that, according to the linked article,19 out of 38 cyclists stopped were given 'words of advice' and only 19 were fined.

For the same number of motorists, 36 out of 37 were fined, and only 1 out of 37 given 'words of advice'.

That looks like firmer policing of motorists who were stopped.

F
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

ferdinand wrote:Interesting that, according to the linked article,19 out of 38 cyclists stopped were given 'words of advice' and only 19 were fined.

For the same number of motorists, 36 out of 37 were fined, and only 1 out of 37 given 'words of advice'.

That looks like firmer policing of motorists who were stopped.

F

Unless words of advice such as "you should wear hi-viz" "you should wear a helmet" were used as the reason for a stop. If I recall this was the situation in London recently.
mjr

Post by mjr »

nez dans le guidon wrote:I'd say riding with no lights and rlj-ing is likely to turn you into a victim while riding on the footpath is unfair on pedestrians and risks making one (victim) of them. I don't see a problem with the police action.

In Italy, most "pedestrianised" areas I saw seemed to allow cyclists, although I expect you'd be stopped and fined for riding furiously and endangering pedestrians. I don't understand why the UK is so against reasonable riding with police actions like this mainly targetting riders who seem to be doing little more than avoiding council/police failures to provide safe-looking road space for them (10 of those, against the 8 unlit who should get "buy lights or pay the fine" tickets).
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.