New Drop STI Levers That Work With MTB Gears

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

New drop levers launched that operate Shiano MTB gears.

From here: http://road.cc/content/news/140589-tech ... ry-chimp-b
I should coco.
honesty

Re: New Drop STI Levers That Work With MTB Gears

Post by honesty »

Gevenalle used to be called retroshift and they did a version that would take a Shimano bar end or down tube shifter. You could specify which shifter to use, so obviously if you used the 9 speed version it would be fully compatible with 9 speed Shimano mountain bike stuff. This looks like a decent update to all the use of 10 speed mountain bike equipment, but you'd lose the ability to mix and match between road and mtb stuff that you get at 9 speed. I was considering a set for my tourer actually as it seems to combine the benefits of sti with the reliability and benefits of bar end shifters with downsides that are livable with on a touring bike.
LuckyLuke

Post by LuckyLuke »

Hi, I have a set of the Retroshift levers, for V brakes.
I don't know if these new shifters are the same, but the Retroshift levers are based on Tektro's V brake lever.
Do bear that in mind if you're considering a set, as you might not get on with this shape (I prefer Campag Ergo's shape y'see).
They look near identical to the Tektro V brake levers, except there's a boss on the brake lever, to which the bar end shifter or down tube shifter can attach.
My example felt well made and solid in use. I used it with Shimano 8 speed down tube shifters & 9 speed down tube shifters.
IIRC I needed to order a different, narrower spacer/washer to mount on the boss before adding the shifters.
The shifting was absolutely fine. The downside for me was that you can't shift easily from the drops. You have to move your hand from the drops & up and over the brake lever to shift.
They're better suited to those who keep their hands on the hoods IMHO.
My personal preference is for V brake levers and bar ends, as it's much easier to change when on the drops with this arrangement.

Best wishes,

Luke
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Why not just use Campag Ergos?
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

With all those flying cables they're not going to be too comfy with HB bags.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The Revoshift types are OK but IMO are limited to changing from the hoods,which is good for their intended use in cyclocross but for not for touring IMO.
If minimum hand movement is your goal with mix n match components then nothing beats Kelly's or similar home made derivatives,these put the gear levers in reach from any of the dropbar riding positions,I find them ideal especially when off road on rougher sections of tracks etc:-

-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

Audax67 wrote:With all those flying cables they're not going to be too comfy with HB bags.

But you'll have somewhere to peg your socks out to dry.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
samsbike

Post by samsbike »

reohn2 wrote:The Revoshift types are OK but IMO are limited to changing from the hoods,which is good for their intended use in cyclocross but for not for touring IMO.
If minimum hand movement is your goal with mix n match components then nothing beats Kelly's or similar home made derivatives,these put the gear levers in reach from any of the dropbar riding positions,I find them ideal especially when off road on rougher sections of tracks etc:-

John

Is that your new build - its great
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Thanks Sam
Yep that's Baby Blue,it's(literally)tucked up for the winter in an old duvet :)
More photos here:- https://picasaweb.google.com/1046928466 ... 8/BabyBlue
W H Auden
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

pete75 wrote:Why not just use Campag Ergos?

Interestingly, with these new levers you can adjust the cable pull of the brake lever. Meaning, they are said to be compatible with V brakes.
I should coco.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

reohn2 wrote:Thanks Sam
Yep that's Baby Blue,it's(literally)tucked up for the winter in an old duvet :)
More photos here:- https://picasaweb.google.com/1046928466 ... 8/BabyBlue

Frankly, you need to neaten up those cycle computer cable wraps.

That's it, that's all I can find to pick nits about, lovely job and a great build. Full spec urgently required please :D
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:Frankly, you need to neaten up those cycle computer cable wraps.

TBH it's something I should be bothered about as everything else is 'just so' but I don't :) ,and I won't go wireless.

That's it, that's all I can find to pick nits about, lovely job and a great build. Full spec urgently required please :D

OK you asked for it:-
Frameset:-2014 Salsa Vaya,in Baby Blue,Salsa call it Blue Smoke but I don't.But I do have four grandsons and a great grandson due any day :D
Seat collar Salsa lip lock.
Headset FSA Orbit XLII
seatpost Thorn layback
Saddle Selle Italia TurboMatic2(1996 vintage)
FSA 110 stem
FSA Compact Drops,with the drop section bent out slightly 25mm each side.
Bontrager BarGel,with FiZiK gel pads beneath.
Brakes are BB7 Road with CS2 rotors,operated by Tektro RL520's and Tektro cross top levers
Drivetrain,S/light Impact triple 175mm with 26/34/46t S/light Dural rings,UN54 BB.Custom 14/17/19/21/23/28/32 8sp cassette,Sram 971 9sp chain.Mechs Deore 525 front and rear,levers are vintage 8sp 105 D/Tube levers mounted on Kelly take off's.
Wheels,XT M765 six bolt hubs,spokes Sapim DB with DT Swiss Alpine on the driveside,DRC ST19 rims self built.Schwalbe 22mm rimtape,Skewers are blue Halo hex key.
Tyre are 37mm Vittoria Voyager Hypers,tubes are Schalbe SV17.
SKS 45mm Longboard mudguards,with the front flap replaced with a custom rubber one made from truck innertube :)
All cables are Ashima SS,outers are Jagwire.
Cateye RVM
Shimano M520 pedals
Sigma 800 untidily wired computer(OK I'm a slovenly git,whaddo I care :? )

It's disgracefully decadent for an old man,but who cares :mrgreen:
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

It's rather lovely, that's what it is!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:It's rather lovely, that's what it is!

Thanks,when I unpacked the frameset I looked at Mrs R2 and said ''I'm not sure now I've bought it'',she said that she thought it was ''rather lovely'' too.
It's grown on me :D
Kuhl as.....
W H Auden
RonK

Post by RonK »

Nice build - but if you had chosen Sram, then Apex shifters are compatible with both front and rear Sram MTB derailleurs and also BB7 road brakes, so the Kellys would be redundant.
Worth considering for anyone contemplating a new build, and certain to be the choice for the new bike I'm planning, using a 2x10sp drivetrain.
The theory is simple: a) cycling is inherently fun, and b) the less weight you carry, the more fun it is.

Tour Journals, Articles and Blog: Whispering Wheels