Rim "buttons"

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
reohn2

Re: Rim "buttons"

Post by reohn2 »

I've had narrow rims(Mavic MA2's and MA40's for yonks)in the past and used them with both cloth r/tape and plastic,other than lining up the valve hole when fitting plastic type,which is easily done with an old valve and locknut,I've never had a problem with them or tyre fitting.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I've not had a problem, just that they are a pig and it isn't simple or easy or quick to get it aligned with the valve hole nor central in the well.

My point is that the Veloplugs are simple, quick, easy and without fuss.

This is a photo of my spare front wheel.
Mavic MA3 with green Vittoria tape.
Rim Tape.jpg
Mick F. Cornwall
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

But aren't we all forgetting the C15g weight saving per wheel? :D :D
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

A tightwad's guide to lightweight/practical rim tapes;

1) re-use Velox tape. Velox tape lasts well if rusty water doesn't attack it, but once you have peeled it off a rim, it isn't sticky any more. Which is annoying. To my considerable (and admittedly somewhat skinflinty) joy I recently worked out how to fix this.

a) stick the wheel in a jig so that you can spin it;
b) spin it round at about 100rpm
c) spray aerosol glue onto the rim; (about a 2s burst is enough to give a decent coating; hold the nozzle close enough to avoid spraying the rim edges)
d) apply Velox tape, (using a little glue on the overlap if necessary)
e) wallow in skinflinty satisfaction.

I found some suitable spray adhesive in the pound shop; enough to do about 20 or 30 rims for £1; can't be bad. Once sprayed, it quickly dries to a highly tacky contact type adhesive. Who knows, the overspray may also deter corrosion/ spoke nipples from backing out. I actually think this method is quicker and easier than using the tape when it is very sticky, because it slides over the rim edges more easily.

2) Lightweight/thin tapes; get some 'builder's plastic'. This is strong, slightly stretchy polyethylene sheeting (a bit like the stuff that holds a beery four-pack together) which is chemically quite inert too, but it does have an Achilles' heel; it isn't UV stable, so it degrades in a few months out of doors. However for this use that appears not to matter; rims are dark inside.

Cut a long strip (using good wallpaper shears) that is the exact same width as the rim well ( works best for rims with a shallow, smoothly curved well) and apply it to the rim. Secure one end with a little tape, and wind the 'rim tape' round tight. One layer is normally enough, but if the tyres are a loose fit on the rim, you can use two. Secure the free end with more tape and make a hole for the valve. If you want to, you can cover the whole thing with a tight layer of insulation tape, but be aware that this can wrinkle if you use tightly fitting (typically folding) tyres that sit tight on the rim tape when the tyre is deflated.

These DIY tapes are within 1 or 2g of the weight of plugs or the lightest alternative rim tapes. They also centre themselves perfectly provided you cut them to width accurately. You can of course unwind them and re-use them if necessary.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
531colin

Post by 531colin »

Narrow plastic rim tapes in narrow rims are no difficulty at all.
Fit them at first with R2's screwdriver, or a tyre lever, or whatever, then lay the lever across both edges of the rim under the rim tape......run the lever round the rim until you are satisfied that the tape is central to both the rim well and valve hole, then remove the lever.
As R2 says, quicker to do than explain.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Brucey wrote:A tightwad's guide to lightweight/practical rim tapes;

1) re-use Velox tape. Velox tape lasts well if rusty water doesn't attack it, but once you have peeled it off a rim, it isn't sticky any more. Which is annoying. To my considerable (and admittedly somewhat skinflinty) joy I recently worked out how to fix this.

a) stick the wheel in a jig so that you can spin it;
b) spin it round at about 100rpm
c) spray aerosol glue onto the rim; (about a 2s burst is enough to give a decent coating; hold the nozzle close enough to avoid spraying the rim edges)
d) apply Velox tape, (using a little glue on the overlap if necessary)
e) wallow in skinflinty satisfaction.

cheers

And don't stand directly in front of the spinning rim or you won't see anything with your eyelids glued shut :shock:

Sorry,couldn't resist.
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

531colin wrote:.......Fit them at first with R2's screwdriver..............

It's no wonder I can't find that screwdriver :?
W H Auden
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Mick F wrote:Oh, and because it's difficult to get it centrally in the well, it upsets the fitting of a tyre.
Maybe on wider rims it's ok, but on narrow rims, the tape is a pig and fitting tyres is a pig too.
I was going to say that it would suggest that you're using too narrow a rim tape, but then I've just seen that photo of your set up. How is that rim tape difficult to get central? The correct width tape just drops in the well and the screwdriver trick easily adjusts the valve hole position.

If the tape is difficult to get central it suggest too narrow a tape is being used and that could easily lead to a blowout.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Be careful Mick - a cycling companion of mine had a puncture one night, in the dark, at the top of a pass between dale-head and dale-head. He had these damned things in his rim, but in taking the tyre off and the tube out, he lost two of them. There were four of us, and we couldn't find them. It came on to rain. He put a new tube in and pumped up.

A few miles on there was this "Psssssssssssst" from his wheel (it's always the rear, isn't it?).

The tube had expanded into the spoke-hole and punctured on the end of the spoke. Taking the tube out lost another plug. We had some more tubes with us, and one member carries cut lengths from old tubs for use in emergency. This was an emergency.

For me - and I don't want anyone to change their ways - but for me, it's rim-tape every time. Or perhaps rim-tape and plugs, for the best of both worlds. It may mean leaving a cheese and pickle sandwich out of the saddlebag to counteract the additional weight of 72 plugs!..........which would mean additional bonk rations to counteract the effects of reducing sandwhich potations by one.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

My wife's Dahon 20 inch folder was plagued with tyre deflation issues when we first got it, despite little use. I found the good old standard of cloth rim tape was the answer - it just had a softer feel to it than the plastic ones it came with.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

JohnW wrote:Be careful Mick - a cycling companion of mine had a puncture one night, in the dark, at the top of a pass between dale-head and dale-head. He had these damned things in his rim, but in taking the tyre off and the tube out, he lost two of them. There were four of us, and we couldn't find them. It came on to rain. He put a new tube in and pumped up.

A few miles on there was this "Psssssssssssst" from his wheel (it's always the rear, isn't it?).

The tube had expanded into the spoke-hole and punctured on the end of the spoke. Taking the tube out lost another plug. We had some more tubes with us, and one member carries cut lengths from old tubs for use in emergency. This was an emergency...

I don't suppose you can recall the model of rim (and which flavour of plug) by any chance?

cheers
RickH

Post by RickH »

Mick F wrote:Oh, and because it's difficult to get it centrally in the well, it upsets the fitting of a tyre.
Maybe on wider rims it's ok, but on narrow rims, the tape is a pig and fitting tyres is a pig too.

The trick I found to get the tape straight (& I probably read it on this forum or a link from it) is to hook the short end of a small allen key under the tape before you put the last bit over the edge of the rim, then you've got something to maneuver it into place with but that can be removed with just a twist when you've finished.

With an already fitted tape that needs aligning, use one allen key through the valve hole parallel to the rim to lift the tape so you can insert a second under at right angles.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Brucey wrote:I don't suppose you can recall the model of rim (and which flavour of plug) by any chance?

cheers

It's a while back now Brucey - the rim was an expensive grey anodised Mavic, with double eyelets and a slightly aero cross section - I had a similar pair and they were very responsive and kept true perfectly - the term "open CD" comes to mind. We both bought the rims to have in stock - I think they'd been replaced in Mavic's range and we were able to buy them at a good price against future needs. Mine demised about 10 years ago. They were 36 hole. The plugs? - I've no idea of their parentage, but they were black.

I know Brucey - you're going to tell me that current production is better and that it won't happen again. It won't with me, I use rim-tape :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
foxyrider

Post by foxyrider »

Mick F wrote:The second sort is a pig because they are tight. Maybe on wider rims there is room to move the tape as you describe, but on narrow rims it's very tight and it's very easy NOT to get it central in the well, and because the rim is narrow, it's very difficult to rotate it accurately enough to align the valve hole. Good job you don't have to disturb them very often.

Oh, and because it's difficult to get it centrally in the well, it upsets the fitting of a tyre.

what you need is a thin shafted screw driver, slide it underneath the tape and rest across the rim edges, simple slide around the rim to adjust, never had any issues moving it for alignment using this method. Alternatively a thicker screwdriver through the valve hole will keep the alignment when you fit the new tape.
Convention? what's that then?
Airnimal Chameleon touring, Orbit Pro hack, Orbit Photon audax, Focus Mares AX tour, Peugeot Carbon sportive, Owen Blower vintage race - all running Tulio's finest!
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

JohnW wrote: I know Brucey - you're going to tell me that current production is better and that it won't happen again. It won't with me, I use rim-tape :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

the rims sound like Open 4 CDs; everyone's darlings before the Open Pro came along. I can't think what the plugs might have been; I am firmly of the view that they are for rims that don't have double eyelets anyway, as I mentioned upthread.

[edit; black???? -great colour choice for night-time manoeuvres...]

cheers