you don't pay road tax !

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
cranky1

you don't pay road tax !

Post by cranky1 »

There are a number of motorists that believe cyclists should not be allowed on the roads becauase they dont pay road tax, of course they mean car tax, but due to yesterdays budget there are now a number of motorists who wont be paying either. The new band A for vehicles with very low CO2 emmisions now have a £0 rating.

This should hopefully stop this ridicules argument as bikes now pay the equivelent in car tax as the drivers of band A cars.
Be carefull out there.
gaz

Re: you don't pay road tax !

Post by gaz »

cranky1 wrote:This should hopefully stop this ridicules argument as bikes now pay the equivelent in car tax as the drivers of band A cars.

Hope springs eternal and therefore there is always hope.

There is even hope in hopelessness but, sadly, I think that's the only place you'll find it in respect of ending this particular argument.
stoobs

Post by stoobs »

So the answer to motorists now is, "I do pay tax - Band A!"
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

Band A zero rated car tax has actually existed for some time, so I don't understand the revelation in yesterday's budget.
cranky1

Post by cranky1 »

I'll get my coat.
Be carefull out there.
Tom Richardson

Post by Tom Richardson »

Band A cars were let off VED some time ago because theyre low polluting vehicles: 100g/km c02 or less.

Bikes are ultra low polluting by comparison so its about time cyclists got a refund.
professorlandslide

Post by professorlandslide »

dodger

Post by dodger »

But most of are likely to have cars which we don't use whilst on the bike, so we have paid road tax - or is this in the older thread!!
nigel_s

Post by nigel_s »

...and according to my Council Tax bill, received today, it is stated that 6% of my Council Tax is budgeted for...

...HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE...

...that equates, for me, to £75.

So, if you're a householder, you can say that you DO pay "road tax". It's there, but under another name.
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

nigel_s wrote:...and according to my Council Tax bill, received today, it is stated that 6% of my Council Tax is budgeted for...

...HIGHWAY MAINTENANCE...

...that equates, for me, to £75.

So, if you're a householder, you can say that you DO pay "road tax". It's there, but under another name.

Winston Churchill spoke against the original Bill in Parliament on the grounds that sooner or later drivers would claim "moral ownership" of the roads they were "paying for"........Shrewd man!
Sares

Post by Sares »

Cunobelin wrote:Winston Churchill spoke against the original Bill in Parliament on the grounds that sooner or later drivers would claim "moral ownership" of the roads they were "paying for"........Shrewd man!

How right he was!
GrumpyGit

Post by GrumpyGit »

Can I get a refund for every time I get on one of my bikes and leave my old Land Rover at home?

Thought not!!! :P
Derek - The enlightened petrolhead ;)
Mrs Tortoise

it's an old chestnut

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

but the vehicle excise licence (car tax) doesn't fund the roads, only the elegibility of that car to be driven on the public highway. Road building comes from the general exchequer.

Cyclists have the right to use the public highway unless it says not, eg motorways.

If motorists think we are getting something for nothing, maybe they should try doing the same and get a bike.
Willpower

Post by Willpower »

BTW I assume the 'you don't pay road tax' brigade would also like the following to be removed from the road:

Fire Engines
Ambulances
Electrically propelled vehicles
Invalid carriages
Road construction vehicles
Vehicles used solely for spreading material to deal with frost, ice and snow (Snow ploughs)
Vehicles first registered prior to 1972.

As none of the above have to pay VED.