front luggage folding bike

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
malverncyclist

front luggage folding bike

Post by malverncyclist »

I am looking for a luggage solution for my folder. I currently use a beam rack and Orlieb City Panniers on the back, but as it's all on the back, not very ergonomic. I am moving from a Dahon to a Brompton and don't particularly want to buy into the nice but overpriced Brompton luggage option. Anyone using other solutions that might be worth me considering?

thanks

Martin
ambodach

Re: front luggage folding bike

Post by ambodach »

You have I think to get the Bromptom front rack which is not too expensive. I then got an Aldi bag described as a bike front basket which is fairly big but quite light. The top is not too waterproof but I use a separate cover in the rain.Any bag which fits would do on the proprietary rack.
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

you don't say how much you want to carry or indeed what is so 'unergonomic' about having the luggage at the back.

worth a look here

http://www.foldsoc.co.uk/spfrcar.html

and there are of course many other DIY arrangements on the internet. Needless to say if there was a bolt-on something as good as the Brompton bags but half the price you would probably have heard about it already.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The Brompton bags are very good - the block attachment is excellent, and they keep your knees warm on a cold day.

I think you can get a basic frame to attach to the brompton block, and then of course you can put anything on that.

Can't recall their prices off the top of my head, but along with carradice et al. (with whom they are comparable in terms of quality) they are decent value in terms of expected lifespan...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

As Bob says anything which you can fasten to the standard rack will do but better if it has a rigid back and base. The Aldi bag I got has a rigid frame round the top which I fastened to the rack with a couple of hose clips.Looks quite unobtrusive and fits perfectly. If I could remember how I would post a pic. :cry: The frame for the s bars is about £20 but cannot remember the cost of the block which I got with the bike. I found Brilliant Bikes good for Brompton bits. Somehow I prefer the front bag to one on the back. Easier to park the bike.
malverncyclist

Post by malverncyclist »

folks, do you mean the block that attaches to the front stem? And also - Aldi bag??? Say more!!!
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Yes, the luggage block on the front stem - firm attachment to the frame, doesn't touch the steering.

It's an excellent, and very convenient, attachment - as good as SQR for bags at the rear.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
MGate

Post by MGate »

Buy the Brompton block, about £15? and then a bag frame (depends if you have a straight bar or m bar on which one you want) for about £25 then you can adapt a bag to take the frame. But the block/frame bit os the important bit. Brompton bags over priced? Yes but so is everything else for the Brompton - but the front bag works so well that the bike would be half as useful without it.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Last post says it all. The Aldi bag is one of these things which only comes up now and again. You have to buy on the spot or they have all gone forever. Many bags could be adapted. I have also used an old handlebar bag. The Brompton bags are indeed good but very expensive.
nomisp

Post by nomisp »

Hi, I have a purpose built Rixen and Kaul front mount on my Brompton, This simply uses the two mounting points on the front stem . I can now swap my handlebar bag between various bikes regards nomisp