Chain Length Conundrum

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Heltor Chasca

Chain Length Conundrum

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Amazing isn't it? You do something in the hope of making life easier and you seem to end up making it more difficult.

I'm revamping my tool kit for longer trips and related to another thread though putting a spare chain in the kit would be a good idea. Hmm. I run a SRAM PC971 on my bike. Good chain. Good value. Loads for sale online. They have 114 links. Trouble is MY chain has 116!

I'm struggling to find a perfect match online for the 2 extra links. Surely I'm not going to have to resort to buying a whole extra chain to nick extra links off when I need it? Suppose I could make a chain whip out of some of the chain? If I ran the chain with only 114 links instead of 116 I'm sure it may not change up to the largest cog.

What dya recon wizards and witches?
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Chain Length Conundrum

Post by Mick F »

Can I ask why you have 116 links?
I'm not saying it's wrong, I'm just asking why?

There are simple ways of finding out the optimum length of chain, or you can just input the info into this site:
(sorry about the adverts)
http://www.epicidiot.com/sports/chain_l ... ulator.htm
All you need to know is the length of your chainstay, the biggest ring size and the biggest sprocket size.
Just hit "Calculate".

The answer comes out as "double links", so just double the number to get a normal number.

Mine comes out as 112links.
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

See if you can " squeeze" your existing chain together to remove 2 links when on the largest sprocket and chain wheel. If you can then 114 links should be ok. :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
andrewjoseph

Post by andrewjoseph »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Amazing isn't it? You do something in the hope of making life easier and you seem to end up making it more difficult.

I'm revamping my tool kit for longer trips and related to another thread though putting a spare chain in the kit would be a good idea. Hmm. I run a SRAM PC971 on my bike. Good chain. Good value. Loads for sale online. They have 114 links. Trouble is MY chain has 116!

I'm struggling to find a perfect match online for the 2 extra links. Surely I'm not going to have to resort to buying a whole extra chain to nick extra links off when I need it? Suppose I could make a chain whip out of some of the chain? If I ran the chain with only 114 links instead of 116 I'm sure it may not change up to the largest cog.

What dya recon wizards and witches?

what sort of long trips need a whole new chain? I just take a few spare power/quick links on every ride.

The main problem i can see with taking a whole new chain is that if you need it mid trip then it might start skipping on worn cassette/ chain rings.

I did twist my chain badly during my first camping trip, i limped along the first bike shop and bought a new chain.
--
Burls Ti Tourer for tarmac
Saracen aluminium full suss for trails.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Mick F wrote:Can I ask why you have 116 links?

There are simple ways of finding out the optimum length of chain, or you can just input the info into this site:
All you need to know is the length of your chainstay, the biggest ring size and the biggest sprocket size.
Just hit "Calculate".

The answer comes out as "double links", so just double the number to get a normal number.

Thanks for this Mick. I am at a loss to why there are 116. That's how it came supplied on the bike which I bought new. I'll try your calculator...hc

The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Did you buy the chain from a shop where they also repair bikes? If so, you could ask there as they may have to chop some chains down and I bet they just throw the spare links out.

That said, if you bought an extra chain just to get the extra two links - you could use that chain for extra links for the next 56 new chains.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

The fat commuter wrote:That said, if you bought an extra chain just to get the extra two links - you could use that chain for extra links for the next 56 new chains.

[emoji23]Very good. I make that a lot of mileage!
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Mick F wrote:Can I ask why you have 116 links?

Just hit "Calculate".

Hi Mick. What are the chances? I used your calculator and it came out bang on 116 links. Clever Surly but they've still left me with 2 missing links.

I think an extra spare chain to cut down and make into a homemade chain whip is looking likely...hc
rjb

Post by rjb »

I'd be tempted make it up with 2 links from your old chain. I am about to don my Helmet before the flack arrives. :shock:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
hondated

Post by hondated »

rjb wrote:I'd be tempted make it up with 2 links from your old chain. I am about to don my Helmet before the flack arrives. :shock:

+1
But if its a 9 speed and compatible with Shimano PM me and I will send you a couple of links from a new chain I have just fitted.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

hondated wrote:
rjb wrote:I'd be tempted make it up with 2 links from your old chain. I am about to don my Helmet before the flack arrives. :shock:

+1
But if its a 9 speed and compatible with Shimano PM me and I will send you a couple of links from a new chain I have just fitted.

PM sent. Thank you for a kind offer. Let me know if there is anything you are after as a swap. How do I post fresh, organic chicken eggs? :roll:
hondated

Post by hondated »

HC I am not worried about receiving anything in exchange as posting costs will not be a lot.
I will post on Monday unless our forum colleagues tell us it is not compatible.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

If it's a 9 speed chain you really need to be careful rejoining the chain with existing rivets, as they lose their strength from re riveting. (I discovered this whilst cycling out of London fully loaded) It might just be possible to flatten the ends enough, but the pins are very hard steel.

I think I would use another quick link with an inner link to make up the length.

There is a letter in the comic this month about such an issue and CJ said that Sram make a 120 link 10 speed chains for 29er's. I don't suppose Sram would do a 9 speed version would they. Still at £10 a pop, even two chains at £20 ain't so bad.
iow

Post by iow »

don't wish to detract from hondated's offer, but I'm happy to put some unused 971 links in the post if you're worried about joining shimano and sram, or want matching links.
mark
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

iow wrote:don't wish to detract from hondated's offer, but I'm happy to put some unused 971 links in the post if you're worried about joining shimano and sram, or want matching links.

Thank you iow. PM sent. A good match makes sense I guess. hondated, does that save you the hassle of sending out your links? Many thanks all. What a bunch of nice people! [emoji4]