Anyone see Food Unwrapped?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Not a bad programme, can be interesting, but, a bit infantile at times. Couldn't believe last night, the female presenter riding along a flat road in an orchard - wearing a bloody helmet!!
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity
[XAP]Bob

Re: Anyone see Food Unwrapped?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

So it didn't even prevent blood loss?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Was there a bumper crop of falling fruit? Orchards are deadly. Sensible lady.
Si

Post by Si »

If we'd had helmets in the seventeenth century then Isaac Newton would never have invented physics. Which proves how evil helmets are :twisted:
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Just makes me want to scream! Anytime you see a presenter 'cycling' they have to have a helmet on as they wobble along. Why not have someone who appears to have a vague idea how to ride properly and not wearing a bit of polystyrene on their heads. More realism might just encourage more to cycle, in my dreams!!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Heltor Chasca wrote:Was there a bumper crop of falling fruit? Orchards are deadly. Sensible lady.

If the orchard happens to be a coconut orchard, well, yes. When we visited the West Indies some years ago, we were warned about sitting under coconut trees in windy weather - many people have been killed doing just this. And I remember having a meal on the outside terrace of a restaurant set in a palm grove, which was covered by a corrugated iron roof. I at first was under the impression that this roof was to protect customers from the strong sunlight. I was soon set to rights - seeing as a wind started blowing up and our meal was punctuated by several terrific (and scary) bangs on the roof.... :shock:

I doubt if a polystyrene lid would afford much protection against a falling coconut.

So - were there coconuts in the above-mentioned programme? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I reckon helmets should be banned because of the danger of them causing apoplexy in non-wearers.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Tonyf33

Post by Tonyf33 »

Audax67 wrote:I reckon helmets should be banned because of the danger of them causing apoplexy in non-wearers.

well everything was fine & dandy before they came along, not only caused a massive ruck but also proponents of them have winkled them into law and removed peoples rights to choose..let's not get into the extra deaths & serious injuries that we would have avoided if they were not around..damn right they should be banned.. :roll:
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I'm neither pro-helmet or anti-helmet, I'm "couldn't give a flying monkeys either way". Sometimes I wear the plastic hat, sometimes I don't. Not that I feel safer or more at risk either way but, those of us who do wear them will be happier. Why?
Well, if the unlikely law to make helmet use mandatory ever comes into force, those of us who wear them will already be used to them and just carry on as usual. Whereas those who don't, will be forced into something they oppose and be particularly unhappy about it :mrgreen:
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Bicycler

Post by Bicycler »

Vantage wrote:Well, if the unlikely law to make helmet use mandatory ever comes into force, those of us who wear them will already be used to them and just carry on as usual. Whereas those who don't, will be forced into something they oppose and be particularly unhappy about it :mrgreen:

The aim of the totalitarians is not necessarily to impose their will by force. It is much better that subjects become uncomfortable with deviancy and voluntarily relinquish their freedoms.
I guess it helps helmet wearers that they are seldom excluded, sanctimoniously lectured, earnestly advised or otherwise ganged up upon because they choose to wear them. Also, when one is hit by a truck there is actually a chance that someone may investigate the driver's behaviour rather than the cyclist's headwear.
Phil Fouracre

Post by Phil Fouracre »

Sad, but, true!