Anyone not get frozen fingers today

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
ArMoRothair

Re: Anyone not get frozen fingers today

Post by ArMoRothair »

Only -2°C here this morning. No gloves, no problems.
alant82

Post by alant82 »

My Garmin showed -6 on the way into work this morning. Buffalo mitts keep the digits toasty though they do make braking and gear shifting a little more awkward than with gloves.
Alan
ICE Sprint 26
Bacchetta Giro 26
pyruse

Post by pyruse »

I use an old pair of Dachstein wool mitts with waterproof covers bought many years ago for winter walking in Scotland.
Hands stay toasty warm in those.
andy65

Post by andy65 »

My hands get cold initially then warm up after a few minutes. I would say that it is because I make sure that I keep my core warm. I assume that this is because my body doesn't try keep my core warm by reducing circulation to my hands.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Last week in freezing temperatures, my fingers halfway through the commute froze up, it was extremely painful for the rest of the 10-mile ride.

This week, on the same ride (I only work 1 day a week now) in equally low temperatures, I had the idea of wearing an extra shirt. I can't put on a woollen jersey because it's too tight then under my yellow jacket, but I tried the effect of a separate (cotton, long-sleeved) shirt over the one I was already wearing - i.e. two shirts and a yellow altura jacket. I also put on my 'arctic' cap which is heavily padded with ear flaps and a chin strap (necessary in the wind). And the same leather gloves as last week. This time the ride went fine, hardly any problems with the fingers at all.

Having said that, it was only about -1C when I set out, not the -5 mentioned in the OP.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Urticaria

Post by Urticaria »

barbelfisher wrote:I purchased a really nice pair of lobster gloves from Aldi recently

I was poised to write a review of these lobster mitts because I am a bit disappointed with mine. In principle they should be warmer than gloves, but I found that they are very damp at the end of a ride, and require turning inside out (quite a dangerous operation with some multi-layer gloves) to dry. I've experienced this dampness before with other Aldi clothing: it is marked as breathable, but isn't very. I give it the benefit of the doubt each time because I reason that Gore-Tex has been around for +40 years, so the rival technologies should now be at least as good. I should learn my lesson.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Whilst I'm not going out in the current ice conditions, I have found that in colder conditions (with "winter'ish" cycling gloves) my fingers can feel a bit cold. However, after a couple of hours they start to slow and I can start having problems using the STI gear changing. But that normally does not happen until towards the end of the ride so not too bad. And I can still change gear, just it's a lot slower and harder.

Ian
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

ArMoRothair wrote:Only -2°C here this morning. No gloves, no problems.

I wear the same gloves all year around, whether it's -4°C or +25°C, I still wear the same gloves.

Not sure what the temperature was this morning but it was blummin' cold on my bike. For some reason, it was my forearms that were cold which I found really strange.

I'll be glad when I can go back to shorts and a 'T' shirt. DS bought me some thermal long johns for Christmas and they have been great - even though I never felt the cold in my shorts, wearing these are just that bit more comfortable. Only problem is they're from that French sporting shop and are just that little bit too short.
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I did a few little experiments lately regarding the cold and keeping warm, using advice from here.
I've owned my Altura Nightvision gloves for 3 years and always used the liner glove with them in really cold weather. My fingers always froze anyway. So, the last couple weeks, I did away with the liner gloves. Nice warm fingers. Warm circulating air I'm guessing as other forumites have said.
Tried the keep the core warm thing too, concentrating on heat loss through ones noggin. Funnily enough, I freeze far sooner without a wooly hat or fleece helmet liner and on those days, fingers and toes have gone colder much quicker also.
The club boss still uses newspaper stuffed in his jersey. Cheaper than a £200 gortex I guess :)
My gloves were a bit damp on the inside after todays ride as they were sweating a bit. It was cold enough that my eyes actually fogged slightly.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

-3 when I have left home twice this week. No problems with cold hands on my 5 mile commute as i had Buffalo mitts on. Head was pleasantly warm with a winter mountaineering insulated hat under my helmet. Just my nose that got really cold and let me down by dribbling
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

Back in my shorts today and only one pair of gloves this morning at 3am :D

I'm either going through 'THE CHANGE' or spring is on it's way
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
CyberKnight

Post by CyberKnight »

I have been using poggies bought off china bay this last week on the commute , my hands were too warm tbh but if you really suffer its worth a look .
John Wayne: "I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on... I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them."
Flite

Post by Flite »

I'm a new convert to pogies. I've written more on "Does anyone know" if you have time to read it.