Dawes Galaxy or something a little bit cheaper

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cyclecycle

Dawes Galaxy or something a little bit cheaper

Post by cyclecycle »

Hello,

I'm looking at possibly getting a Dawes Galaxy for light touring and commuting duties. I already have a mountain bike and folder, so this would be for longer distances, commuting and hauling the occasion load.

Whilst tempted I don't think I need the wallet lightening experience of a Dawes Super (Dooper?) Galaxy with disk brakes as I won't be hauling massive amounts (likely just laptop, change of light clothes etc).

Plus I often put bikes in the back of the car (estate) and it seems as though disk brakes could be a bit of a faff when removing the front wheel. Is this true and are budget disc brakes not worth the hassle?

Is the Dawes still a respected machine an brand, or should I be considering others as well. If so, what would be alternative recomendations. It would be nice to get something in the £300-£400 range but I'm thinking it might be better to shell out for something that will last.

Things were complicated enough, but now Dawes have release a Dawes Galaxy 2015. Is the 2014 model better or is the newer 2015 an improvement? For me the old version had a better front mudguard as the new model appears to be shorter.

So in summary ...

1. Is the Dawes Galaxy brand still recomended?
2. Is the 2015 model an improvement over the 2014?
3. Is there an alternative tourer that costs less?

Many thanks in advance,
andrewk

Re: Dawes Galaxy or something a little bit cheaper

Post by andrewk »

Yes, find the Galaxy model you like at a big discount.
Brian73

Post by Brian73 »

Plenty of choice:

http://www.evanscycles.com/categories/b ... ;sort=asc;

Entry level Galaxies are basic spec, for the same money you can get nicer components. Fuji or Jamis Aurora would be my choice over the Galaxy

Spa cycles do some of their own brand bikes with decent spec.
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Go 2nd hand save a pannier load of money!!! My dawes galaxy was £350 with 853 frame. So bargains are around :mrgreen:
Some people seem to buy a galaxy decide its not for them and flog it after 6 months. quite often they seem to go for half the original retail price.
I keep in contact with the market cos im on the lookout for an 853 frame i can hang up as a replacement if/when i need one. I go a distinct shade of green though if someone suggests spending £700 for a new frame...
stuartg

Post by stuartg »

I'm a big fan of the dawes, I have 2 a galaxy and Sardar. Both have to be around 15 years old and I have upgraded them, with sardar just having a respray and a rebuild. I would always buy. 2nd hand, but keep an open mind to what you get. There have been some amazing bikes for sale on classified recently. A lot do not get used heavily, others are kept I good condition and upgraded. Personally I wouldn't pay to dollar for a new bike.
stuartg

Post by stuartg »

There is 58cm dawes Galaxy for sale at the moment in classified.
robing

Post by robing »

Get one from Spa Cycles in Harrogate. Doing huge discounts on Dawes Galaxies. I got mine from them.
Swallow

Post by Swallow »

'Kernow bys Vyken'
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Discs arent a problem removing and refitting wheels, I often sling my bikes in tbe back of a car. Cable operated discs are dead easy to adjust and work fine. But, a Galaxy with conventional brakes should be fine for what you describe, discs come into their own when riding off road through mud, slush and tbat sort of thing. Personally I prefer them they only weigh a smidgen more and are dead reliable in any conditions.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
cyclecycle

Post by cyclecycle »

Thanks for the links.

Classified for sale is at other end of the country :-(

and Spa Cycles don't have my size ... need the 58cm.