mtb tyre pressure for road use

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
Sparks

mtb tyre pressure for road use

Post by Sparks »

Hi am new on here. Been cycling again after a 30 yr absence. Bought a 27.5''mtb 6 months ago am am loving it however am finding it difficult to find advice in what tyre pressures to run on my 27.5 x 2.25's. Am currently at 45 rear &35 front as mostly on road. Any advive welcone. Seem to be very prone to rear punctures tho!
cycleruk

Re: mtb tyre pressure for road use

Post by cycleruk »

Quite often there is a recommended maximum pressure embossed on the tyre wall.
Personally I would pump them up as hard as I felt comfortable with for road use.
MTB tyres on the road will be a "drag" especially if soft so I have fitted "slicks" on mine.
Much easier to pedal and a lot less noise. I usually pump upto about 60/70 psi in these.
You'll never know if you don't try it.
robing

Post by robing »

Yep, pump them up to the max for road use. Probably 50 to 60 psi. You might also want to change your knobbly tyres for more slick ones.
sreten

Post by sreten »

Hi,

Higher tyre pressures won't help 2.25" tyres on the road, 45 and 35 psi is plenty.

Any tyre with a good MTB tread will be very poor ridden mainly on road,
the only upside is they will get better as you wear the central knobblies.

27.5" is really 650B, 584mm, with limited tyre choices, it will get better.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/schwalbe-hs315-rigid-tyre-26-x-1-2-x-2-inch-(54-584)-prod30880/

Is a suitably fat road tyre, note that maximum pressure is 45 psi,
and if you don't weigh much the best real pressure is lower.
Puncture protection is Kevlarguard, and it works very well.

rgds, sreten.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

robing wrote:Yep, pump them up to the max for road use. Probably 50 to 60 psi. You might also want to change your knobbly tyres for more slick ones.

:shock:

Ain't no way I'd ride those kind of pressures in 650Bx2.25in tyres for road use,especially on wet/mucky lanes.
40psi rear, 25 to 30 psi front maybe for road type tyres depending on load.
Outright knobblies for road use offer some 'interesting' handling characteristics :shock:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
pwa

Post by pwa »

If you don't ride on anything more off-roady than reasonably well surfaced tracks you might be better of with tyres that don't have knobbles. If you change your tyres, choose ones that will inflate to about 60 - 65 psi and pump them up to that pressure. Knobbly tyres are like football boots, giving good grip on soft turf but poor grip and poor rolling on hard surfaces.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Buy some Schwalbe Land Cruisers. http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/schw ... -prod24622
Very cheap but excellent tyres for mixed road and off road. The continuous centre bead will speed you right up on the road and the nobbles on either side will provide plenty of grip off road on softer surfaces. At the moment you are going a lot slower with more effort expended than you could. The right pressure is embossed on the side of the tyres.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

for MTBs that mostly see road use with occasional off-road I have gravitated towards using a road-biased rear tyre (maybe a semi-slick) and something knobblier at the front.

With this arrangement you (predictably) can't corner hard on the road (the front will wash out or worse) so you need to be careful. But then again you won't lose the front end offroad in the mud, (which is how a lot of prangs happen).

The performance on the road will (if you have a typical 65-35 weight split R-F) be OK; not brilliant, but OK.

From that starting point, add more knobbles for more offroad grip, and use fewer for better on-road manners. It is all a trade-off. Tyre pressures as you feel works best really; again you may not want them as hard offroad as on.

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Kaysbloke

Post by Kaysbloke »

In the early 90's I occasionally rode our club 10's on my MTB with knobbblies and pumped them up to around 60/65 psi. They still had a certain amount of drag compared to slicks - but the road noise was terrific at speed!

Calder10TT1991.A.jpg

I've still got that jersey.

But it's rather more difficult to put on these days...........................
I don't know where I'm going but I'll always tell you where I am.