Is there a Round Britain route info thread?

Cycle-touring, Expeditions, Adventures, Major cycle routes NOT LeJoG (see other special board)
jaydeepee

Is there a Round Britain route info thread?

Post by jaydeepee »

I've used the search facility but there is not much that remains on the web, particularly the stuff from the proposed charity route in 2010, The Great Tour.

I have an interest in whether this route has been officially mapped out or is it more of a DIY route? I know that Peter Mann famously circumnavigated the coast but if there is no "official" route then is it just up to the individual to get on and do it the way you would want to do it?

If that is so, what advice would tourers out there give to somebody who wanted to cycle around the coast?

Any maps, route guides, etc?
vjosullivan

Re: Is there a Round Britain route info thread?

Post by vjosullivan »

No 'official' route, very much an individual thing. Since it's not a race, no great training is needed 'merely' the ability to pedal a bike for about eight hours a day. Have fun. Enjoy.
E25
beardy

Post by beardy »

I think that you have to make your own definition of what "around the coast" means.

Peter Mann did it in 5,000 miles this guy did 11,000 miles on his scooter.

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/Britain- ... story.html

There is some flexibility due to a sort of fractal nature of coastal roads. Three of my friends did it on motorbikes some time ago and this was something they had to spend a lot of time planning and deciding about. They had quite a complicated set of rules.

As an example they wanted to always take the closest road to the coast but if that road was not continuous (just a spur) it could be left out. Then they had to decide if that still applied if it had a loop at the end of it that you could only reach along the spur road, they decided such roads did not have to be done unless they were quite major. So a degree of pragmatism was coming into things.
Which could mean in real life you define the route to suit how much time and effort you are willing to give to the task. I have seen some much shorter motorised attempts where they take the nearest A road as being the criteria, a rather severely diluted version to my mind but uses much less petrol.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
phil parker

Post by phil parker »

It's also worth reading One Man and His Bike by Mike Carter, which was also about 5000 miles - either way, a great read!
robgul

Post by robgul »

Nick Sanders rode around Britain (twice) - once as a recce ride and then to establish/break the record - started/finished at Balackpool and was sponsored by Vimto!

There's a book about it - search on Amazon for "Nick Sanders" and you can usually find a copy (often at just the postage cost from S/h book dealers) Book is presented with the two rides side by side on each page spread.

One day I might give it a go .... but in separate tours in easy stages (I've done Exeter to Whitable via the IoW)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I had a long thread about it.
Never happened for me, and I doubt it will in the foreseeable future.
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=44664
Mick F. Cornwall
jaydeepee

Post by jaydeepee »

Thanks very much for the links and thread (Mick).

Just looking at how feasible it would be to complete within a certain time and whilst visiting certain places.. I'll get back when I've worked through the links and read up a bit more.
ANTONISH

Post by ANTONISH »

In the 50's there was a chap who cycled around the British coastline - can't recall his name but it wasn't typically British.
He was sponsored by Fibrax. Apparently he covered the whole trip on one set of brake pads. I seem to recall a figure of 6000+
hgtevelo

Post by hgtevelo »

Would love to do this. Have the time, but not really the money :(
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I would love to do it as well, but I'd want to camp and the wild camping in the UK makes this somewhat impractical.

For me, when travelling somewhere with a target/destination I don't like the idea of planning ahead and stopping when you arrive at a pre-arranged point (e.g. B&B/hotel). Some days you find weather is good, you have energy so you carry on a further and stop later. Other days turn out miserable and/or you are tired so you stop early and after shorter distance. Having to book in advance stops you taking advantage of conditions. Wild camping allows you to take advantage of this flexibility to a far greater extent. So well done Scotland, but England/Wales not so good.

If you are just travelling taking things as they come and going for the journey rather than the destination/target then it is not such an issue.

My attitude anyway.

Ian
jaydeepee

Post by jaydeepee »

phil parker wrote:It's also worth reading One Man and His Bike by Mike Carter, which was also about 5000 miles - either way, a great read!

Ordered it. I'll give that a read after perusing Peter Mann's stuff and that list of spurns and heads on Mick's site has given me food for thought.Much to ponder but I do fancy the CW route from London to Margate and down the south Coast. If my initial interest is firmed up then that is the route I would have to take I imagine.
StirlingCrispin

Post by StirlingCrispin »

I sort of set off to do it (in 1995) and covered 6000 miles in the process (and get mentioned in Peter Mann's book after we met at Helmsdale).

The biggest problem is the heavy traffic on coast roads.
Difficult to convince yourself to stay on the coast being hammered by trucks when there's a quieter route just a few miles inland.

http://www.crispinbennett.freedomnames. ... ritain.htm

If I did it again I'd aim to tick off lighthouses or compass points or something :)
pwa

Post by pwa »

With this sort of challenge you have to make up your own rules. I would hate sticking to a busy road just because it was the nearest to the coast. I would tweak my rules to put me on the nearest "good" road. Why not just call it a tour of the coast and stay flexible on the route to keep it to your liking.

I think Carter rated the SW of England the most difficult part of his route.

I live one mile from the sea on the southern tip of Wales and would be glad to offer you a place for the night when you pass by.
jaydeepee

Post by jaydeepee »

Thanks very much for the offer PWA! I'm still in the planning stages of my odyssey.

I've got it into my mind to go clock-wise and not to set off up the east coast as I would have to do it in parts.

First part would be from London to Canterbury to Dover and then the south coast route to LE.Up the SW coast from LE to Bristol and then use the Kennett and Avon Canal back to Reading and then London.
I am not going to stick to the coastal route, I shall come inland when and where necessary.

So, any good route proposals out there from Dover to LE?

The same from LE to Bristol?

I'll then plan to cover Wales in one go and not in stages. From the Severn up to the A55 and Chester.