Waterproof paniers for Super Galaxy

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
cyclecycle

Waterproof paniers for Super Galaxy

Post by cyclecycle »

Hello,

Having just got a Dawes Super Galaxy in the pre-easter sales, the focus now follow to getting the accessories sorted.

Can anyone here recomend a good brand of fully waterproof (or nearly so) rear pannier than will cope with a laptop and set of waterproof trousers?

Many thanks,
SteveHunter

Re: Waterproof paniers for Super Galaxy

Post by SteveHunter »

I have a set of these for commuting.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/WP100-carrier-b ... ed+pannier

As far as I can tell they are 100% waterproof, they are certainly very robust. They have a roll top then the flap over the top of that.

I use both for commuting, my laptop bag goes in one pannier, I put waterproofs and a change of clothes and shoes, bike lock and tools in the other pannier.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

A work colleague has just bought a pair of these and they seem OK in the quick fondle I gave them last week. Same construction as my Ortleib bag and looking at the Amazon images simialr fixings too.
interestedcp

Post by interestedcp »

The attachment system doesn't seem to be in the same league as Ortlieb's. The Ortlieb clips are automatically unlocked when lifting the pannier by the carrying handle, and locked when you let go: This allows for one-handed operations when attaching the pannier or taking it off. Very convenient.

Doesn't come with shoulder straps or internal pouch like the Ortlieb Back-Roller Classic.
It is probably one the the better Ortlieb pannier clones I have seen, but not that much cheaper than the Ortlieb City Back-Roller that has comparable features, but a better attachment system.

Having used Ortlieb Back-Rollers daily for the last decade, I would recommend them as a proven, well designed pannier for both commuting and touring.

Ortlieb also have great spare part support, even for very old models. I stepped too often on a shoulder strap clip so it finally broke, but could buy a new one cheaply, even though my pannier was +6 years old at the time.
--
Regards
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

I use a set of vaude rear panniers, just as good as ortlieb, waterproof, easy to attach remove, and hardwearing. Cheaper too...
cyclecycle

Post by cyclecycle »

Thanks for suggestions - very useful.

Waterproof qualities are the main criteria along with a solid fixing system so will look at those options.

Don't mind paying for something that will resist the leaks!

Thanks again,
blackbike

Post by blackbike »

All panniers are waterproof if you triple line them with bin bags or other plastic bags.
WOOLIFERKINS

Post by WOOLIFERKINS »

Overboard do panniers now a little smaller than average but the bigger the bag the more you carry.
Neil
cyclecycle

Post by cyclecycle »

Hi,

So really wanted something like these:

http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=e ... ketoy=rear
http://www.ortlieb.com/_prod.php?lang=e ... ketoy=rear

but settled for a set of these until I can get the funds together:

http://www.decathlon.co.uk/city-2x9l-re ... 04523.html

Can't really complain for the money. Not waterproof, but then the bike is too new to take out in the rain for a few weeks anyway!
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Carradice Carradry are as waterproof as Ortlieb, cost less and are made by an even more respected manufacturer..
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker