New alpkit sleeping bags and mats

Specifically for cycle touring subjects & questions
thayer19

Post by thayer19 »

Hi guys

Was wondering people's opinions on alpkit's latest sleeping bag offerings (see link below)..... I've been pretty excited about this release, however, I'm a bit disappointed on first glance. I'm pretty sure they will be releasing another model but 175 for a 1-2 season down sleeping bag is pretty steep for alpkit I think (I know other down brands are more expensive, alpkit is generally really competitive pricing wise). I'm assuming their 3-4 season (if they do one) will be more expensive and that's leading into entry level Rab down bags. Centre zip could be useful though, really doesn't do anything for the aesthetics of the bag however.

Sleeping mats I think are looking pretty good, think I'll be investing in either the Numo or Airo just can't decide which yet. More than half of the price of thermarest etc is really attractive I think.

https://www.alpkit.com/previews

Cheers

P.S (administrator) is this more 'cycling goods and services' forum related?
sore thumb

Re: New alpkit sleeping bags and mats

Post by sore thumb »

I would be looking for a 400 or 600 pipe dream if they do them again.

But that sort of price puts me off a little. A little more expensive than I was expecting from alpkit.

We will see if they do further bags, and prices.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

They were on my shortlist but budget got in the way...hc
cnb

Post by cnb »

Not too keen on the position of the zip..I prefer side zips so that i can open them up and use them as a quilt(ish) when the weathers a bit warm...
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

cnb wrote:Not too keen on the position of the zip..I prefer side zips so that i can open them up and use them as a quilt(ish) when the weathers a bit warm...

My 4 season has a central zipper and it has been the best placement so far. It works well as a quilt when tuned upside down too. My next best preference is with the zipper on the left. I'm right handed. I draw my sword in the same way [emoji63]

Amazing how different we all are. It must be a nightmare trying to cater for the general public...hc
hufty

Post by hufty »

Both our Numo mats (bought a few years ago) developed leaks at the valve assembly where it tapers and the two layers of the mat are bonded to it. Over time a small hole developed at that point. Probably Alpkit have sorted this out now but my advice is using the valve should always be a two-handed operation. Pricier but nicer are Exped synmats, but I have to say one of those delaminated on me and had to be replaced under warranty.
Please do not use this post in Cycle magazine
cnb

Post by cnb »

Well i just said i prefer a side zip..But it really was an unfounded statement as i've never used a sleeping bag with a central zip..I already have the Pipedream 600 which is a great bag and i prefer it to my Rab Ladakh 800..I'm thinking about getting a lighter weight bag for a tour this year(my girlfriends purloined my rab 400)..So I'll have a stew on one of those..