cycle storage at home

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
Phill

cycle storage at home

Post by Phill »

Hi,
I've got 3 adult size bikes and a small garage. What are the best ways to store them for 1. "Out of the way" when not in use; and 2. Easy access?
Thanks,
Phill
Heltor Chasca

Re: cycle storage at home

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Pulleys, ropes and rubber coated hooks hoisted up into the rafters?

A friend does it this way. Brilliant...hc
gaz

Post by gaz »

Leave the car outside the garage :mrgreen:
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
robgul

Post by robgul »

Hooks on the wall - Image (Halfords and others sell them) - my garage - when I had a more bikes than I do now (and a trike - sold a while ago) - Image

The hooks are about 14" apart and bikes are top and tailed to get them closer together ... and they have a cable and lock running through them for added security (the blue stuff is pipe lagging to prevent scratches)

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
Heltor Chasca

cycle storage at home

Post by Heltor Chasca »

gaz wrote:Leave the car outside the garage :mrgreen:

[emoji23] got your priorities right...hc
gaz

Post by gaz »

It's an aspiration rather than a reality :lol: . The bikes have to share with the car :( .

However the tandem and one solo hang from the rafters and the commuter stands against the rear wall under the tandem. I reckon I could get another solo in without making any adjustments, two more might be a bit too much of a squeeze.

Putting a shed behind the garage was much simpler :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
gaz wrote:Leave the car outside the garage :mrgreen:

got your priorities right...hc

That's what we've always done :mrgreen:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
SteveHunter

Post by SteveHunter »

I don't think my car would fit in my garage even with nothing else in there. If it did go in I wouldn't be able to open the door to get out.

Even without the car I am struggling for space. I have had to put 2 bikes in the shed but I'm not happy with that as the shed is not as secure.

I may try and clear the back wall and hang them up like Rob has.
robgul

Post by robgul »

SteveHunter wrote:I don't think my car would fit in my garage even with nothing else in there. If it did go in I wouldn't be able to open the door to get out.

Even without the car I am struggling for space. I have had to put 2 bikes in the shed but I'm not happy with that as the shed is not as secure.

I may try and clear the back wall and hang them up like Rob has.

Good plan. My garage is a bit deceptive ... it's only about two-thirds of a garage ... I built a studwork/plasterboard wall across it and made the other one-third a store-room that you get to through the coat cupboard in the hallway (cut a hole in the wall and fitted a frame and second door)

Two other tips : paint the garage floor (special paint from most well-known suppliers) - it keeps the concrete dust at bay ... and looks quite good too - AND screw a bit of timber to the floor at the inside face of the door (be it side opening or up and over) to stop leaves and dust blowing in - mine is about 2" high and has a strip of yellow duct tape along it for visibility and reduce the chance of tripping over it!

Rob
E2E http://www.cycle-endtoend.org.uk
HoECC http://www.heartofenglandcyclingclub.org.uk
Cytech accredited mechanic . . . and woodworker
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

Have you tried leaving them out the front (out of the way), and unlocked (ease of access)? :lol:

I think a wall mounted bike rack would be good, in keeping them off the ground and secure.
Zanda

Post by Zanda »

I've done a round up of the domestic storage methods I've tried. The best one for you will depend on the shape and size of the space you've got.

http://cyclingfortransport.com/plan/storage/

I use bike hooks, although this can involve removing more than one bike to get at the one I want, because they're stacked very close to each other, and it requires plenty of space in front of the racked bikes for all the manhandling that's required, so it's not as space efficient as it might appear.

The bike shelf works particularly well for storing bike frames.
Phill

Post by Phill »

Thanks very much to all of you who posted these really useful responses. I shall be investigating the most appropriate solutions and installing new bike storage equipment shortly.