B6047 : Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
chrisc

B6047 : Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray

Post by chrisc »

Anyone familiar with the B6047 from Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray care to comment on its suitability for an OAP (ie slow) but vigilant solo cyclist ? Probable transit would be a Saturday mid-day sort of time. Lethal rat-run or, as Streetview suggests, nigh care-free open road ? (Yes, I have done a Search).

I believe the A508 from M Keynes via Northampton to Market Harborough is not highly recommended though. I am wary of ‘green’ roads on OS maps anyway !

Do correct me if you disagree. I will hold you harmless whatever happens !
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
Richard Fairhurst

Re: B6047 : Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray

Post by Richard Fairhurst »

From my recollection (lived round there many years ago!) it's not too bad, but you do get people hurtling round the corners. My preference would be to follow NCN 64 instead, which runs parallel on beautifully quiet lanes, tarmac all the way, and if you cut off the corner at Somerby it's only very slightly longer (25mi vs 23.4mi).
cycle.travel - maps, journey-planner, route guides and city guides
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

Hi Chris - is it a one off tour or a regular journey?

My preferred route from Market Harborough to Melton Mowbray is the road to Great Bowden then follow the Sustrans route over the A6 to Welham then Cranoe, Goadby, Tugby (cross the A47 here with good sightlines) Owston, Somerby, Little Dalby then either the Sustrans route (not done this part) or go to Great Dalby and onto the B6047. This way is a lot quieter than the B6047 all the way and visits the nicest villages in East Leics. I second Richard's comments about the speed of vehicles on the B6047

With regard to the MK to Northampton part, I wouldn't choose to ride on the A508. I would leave MK on the road from Wolverton to Haversham, then Castlethorpe, Hanslope, Hartwell, Quinton and into NH that way. It is a long time since I cycled through NH though and others could probably advise better.
chrisc

Post by chrisc »

Thanks for responses and advice so far guys !

No, it's not a regular route for me but just an adjustment to a ride from Hants to Co Durham that I did about 3 years ago (and plan to repeat) where I an revisiting the planning of the 'middle bit'. By way of blunt explanation I am NOT transiting Leicester again !
Tourer : 2010 Giant CRS City 4.0
Other : 1963 Denton retro (now back in the loft!)
RodWatts

Post by RodWatts »

With my motorcyclists hat I wouldn't recommend the B6047 at the weekend as its a favourite for bikers. Lots of twists and turns, ups and downs make it a great ride on a motorbike but not so good for a cyclist. I've had a few frights with sportsbikes coming up from behind at speed! Makes you jump out of your skin!
Follow the route thru the villages as suggested earlier, much nicer!
Rod
I'm not lost, I'm just exploring!
Merry_Wanderer

Post by Merry_Wanderer »

That sounds a good journey Chris. Have fun and I hope the weather is kind.

Don't know whether you planned on cycling the Brampton Valley Way (old railway line between Northampton and Market Harborough)? If you are, as an alternative to riding it all, a nice diversion is to cycle as far as the car park between Maidwell and Draughton then go onto the minor road to Draughton then take the minor road east to the T junction and turn left past the Carpetbaggers' memorial on the right to Harrington then either Arthingworth, Great Oxendon and East Farndon if you need a cafe (at the Farm Shop between EF and Market Harborough or Arthingworth, Braybrooke then MH.
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

With my IAM driving hat on, from a few years ago I know this road was a "good driving road", and certainly the Police used it for training purposes (It would test discipline - which corresponds with comments in other posts, - being able to stop in the distance seen to be clear etc, which can vary considerably from one bend to the next, and frequent speed restrictions for villages etc) I doubt if that translates well for being a good cycling road as it's not just advanced drivers under instruction you will meet. However I believe there are a number of 50mph sections now which may have helped a bit?

I hope you sort a decent route out. Happy cycling.
nickbutler80

Post by nickbutler80 »

MK-Cosgrove-Hanslope-Hartwell-Salce Forest-Quinton, Preston Deanery- Great Houghton to westerly cycle path-Wooten fields, Hardingstone Hill with Eleanor Cross. Ecton-Sywell-Little Harrowdon, Orlingbury, Isham, toward Burton Latimer, (moats) , Barton Seagrave, Warkton, Weekly, Houghton Park, Geddington. Cotterstock, Glapthorne, Lower Bebefield, Fotheringhay (KR3 birthplace) is the way developed by supporters of the Connection at St. Martin in the Fields. Then on small roads cut through woodnewton and Apethorpe, up towards loddington and Launde! Beautiful countryside!!