soft cycling jacket (please recommend)

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
niggle

Re: soft cycling jacket (please recommend)

Post by niggle »

If you can wait for next autumn, the Aldi winter cycling jackets are great for about £20, with windproof panels in the front and more breathable fabric that is still thick and warm over the back etc. Usual three back pocket pocket design like a jersey. I have one of their standard issue ones which I use for commuting and one of the 'pro' range which is a bit lighter and is my favourite for long rides as can be combined with combinations of base layers to get temperature just right and adjust for changes. They also do similar trousers.
Flite

Post by Flite »

I like some Aldi stuff, but I found the jackets sleeves too short, and they are not as breathable as authentic "windstopper"
You probably realise by now that Gore Windstopper (like Goretex) is used in Gore's own clothes, and under license by other clothes manufacturers
So, I have a short sleeved jacket by Gore Bike Wear with windstopper front, shoulders and sleeves, which I use for 3 seasons of the year.
And a long sleeved jacket by Endura, with windproof front, shoulders and sleeves, which I use for the other 3 :? :wink:
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Pete, The Rohan jackets look good and they are very light, however they are not wind proof like the Gore Phantom II and given that plus popularity for the latter I think I should choose the Gore Phantom with Windstopper. I won't be buying this jacket soon, so plenty of time to find a good price, unless those wiggle prices are very good. Also vhoise between zip off arms or not ? thanks.
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

AlastairS wrote:Pete, The Rohan jackets look good and they are very light, however they are not wind proof like the Gore Phantom II

We're talking fine increments here. Something like the Pampas is near-as-dammit windproof (they've been popular "windproofs" with hillwalkers and mountaineers for years), and the extent to which it isn't quite as airtight as the Windstopper is also the extent to which it is more breathable. Breathability is the ability of air to pass through the jacket, so the more windproof it is the less breathable it is, so it's a case of drawing your compromise line in a slightly different place.

The Windshadow is a new fabric compared to mine (and my Windrider, the now discontinued cycling-targeted equivalent) so I can't say for absolute sure, but I'd be very surprised if that isn't "near as dammit" windproof too, especially as that's the basic selling point! There's a review of the previous at road.cc (http://road.cc/content/review/58835-rohan-windrider-jacket) that doesn't suggest it's in any way letting too much air through, and that's my experience too (also the case with the Airlight polycotton on the Pampas).

That's not to say you wouldn't prefer the Gore, but don't rule out these as being "not windproof enough". The close weave nylons used by Buffalo are advertised as windproof to between 40 & 50 mph according to the exact model, I don't think as good as the Windstopper... is that really a problem on a bike?

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
pjclinch

Post by pjclinch »

Following myself up, Rohan's own forum has a note from their Customer Services department on this very issue...

We prefer highly wind resistant products as opposed to totally wind proof garments as these offer a higher level of breathability.

We have discussed this further with our Design Team who have advised that the Field Jacket uses a tightly woven, rip-stop, nylon fabric, that is naturally more breathable than waterproof or shell garments as the fabric is not laminated/plastic-coated/taped and so on.

Whilst the tight fabric weave will offer wind resistant qualities the panel pockets and covered zip on the front of the jacket will provide further protection.

That's a different model of jacket, but the same principles apply to the Pampas and Windshadow. Note that while not a formally waterproof hard-shell, Gore Windstopper does use a laminated membrane (it's Goretex without seam taping or the thin PU smear that stops the microporous structure getting contaminated which can lead it to leak, but reduces breathability further).

Pete.
Often seen riding a bike around Dundee...
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

I have had a Rohan Windshadow jacket for years. Actually used, regularly, for day to day outdoor use including walking, rather than cycling*. It's very windproof! With reference to some previous posts, how much windproofing does one need? :shock: (For reference it has been used in action on Dartmoor and lots of other lower level but wind swept places, but admittedly not the Cairngorms or the Alps...) Combined with it's light weight, packability, showerproof capabilities and numerous secure pockets I've found it an absolutely brilliant jacket.

*For cycling, I have the Windrider jacket as reviewed in the previous link :D (OK, I'm a Rohan fan - when they have a sale on...)
AlastairS

Post by AlastairS »

Hi, I have renewed my interest in this topic, i hope that's okay.
I prefer the look of the Rohan jackets over the road cycling specific ones like Gore Phantom.
If I bought a Rohan (nearly) windproof jacket like the Pampas or Windshadow, then I would also need to take a waterproof layer incase of heavy rain.
What waterproof layer would you recommend, something light (as it will be carried) and also not expensive.
Comparing the Pampas and Windshadow, do they offer similar levels of windproofness? If so, maybe the Windshadow is better because it is about half the weight of the Pampas.
Disadvantage of wind shadow is that it is only available in a dark colour which may not be good for cycling.
Inciidently, are these Rohan jackets suitable for winter use ?
Finally the Pampas is half price at the moment.
Alastair
roberts8

Post by roberts8 »

I have used a Buffalo Windshirt for about 20 years for kayaking and cycling and it is brilliant and still works. It has a front pocket that is useful and two side ventilators that really let the air in if required.
It only weighs 230g and packs really small. If I do get wet because it is windproof but very breathable i get dry fairly quickly.
For about seventy pounds it is worth a look.
73Chaz

Post by 73Chaz »

After reading this thread, I bought a Rohan Windshadow. It was somewhat pricey but it is brilliant to wear. Very light, breathable and comfortable. So far I like it a lot.