Securing bike in a garage but not drilling holes

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
monkeytennis

Securing bike in a garage but not drilling holes

Post by monkeytennis »

So I'm looking for a way to secure 2 bikes in a garage but landlord not happy on me drilling into walls. I can however see the rafters so I'm considering throwing a chain up locking it in a loop up top and putting a d-lock or similar onto bottom of it. How secure do people think that'll be?
CREPELLO

Re: Securing bike in a garage but not drilling holes

Post by CREPELLO »

Just make sure that any thief doesn't have access to a saw! Onother option could be to fill a largish bin full of concrete and drop an anchor point into that whilst wet.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

What about the floor?
What is it made from? Concrete?
Can you drill downwards and fit one of these sorts of things?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EYE-BOLTS-SHI ... 1118402495
They come in all sorts of sizes.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

If you offer to leave the wall anchor in place for future residents would the landlord be more amenable?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Fill a large bucket with Concrete and fit the ground anchor to that
NUKe

Post by monkeytennis »

He's not keen on drilling into anything at the moment. Would be leaving it behind though. Think I will have a chat to him face to face next I see him. Guess chain from roof isn't very secure at all!
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

NUKe wrote:Fill a large bucket with Concrete and fit the ground anchor to that

+1 you can get bags of ready mix from DIY stores

Had another thought :idea: Take a 4/5 ltr container and cut the bottom off. buy a cheap steel wire bike lock security cable cut the ends off and pass the wire through the handle of the container from the inside. Next cut two holes in the side of the container and pass a short length of 1 1/4 plastic sink waste pipe through, seal up with "Duct tape" turn upside down and fill with concrete as per original suggestion. when concrete is set trim off plastic tube, your bike security chain can pass through that and the steel wire through the handle will enable you to carry it about safely.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

monkeytennis wrote:He's not keen on drilling into anything at the moment. Would be leaving it behind though. Think I will have a chat to him face to face next I see him. Guess chain from roof isn't very secure at all!

Sell it as an enhancement, position it so ladders/BBQs/??? could be secured as well.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I've just been allocated a garage by the local council. :D
Suggestions for securing the door, the Yale lock fitted will not stop anyone for a minute especially a 13 yr. old Fwit...
The garage is to be storage for many bikes and kayaks ... and the MX5.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Are you allowed to change the lock?
Does the garage have power - maybe replacing the door with a powered one would help?
PH

Post by PH »

If you can't secure to an immovable object (like the garage wall) then secure to a hard to move object. The bins full of concrete fall into this category, but you might also consider a length of box section steel or a couple of HGV wheel rims. It doesn't matter that these things aren't fixed, just that it's almost impossible to carry them and that they're harder to break than your lock, which unfortunately isn't really that hard.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Concrete block can always go on the pannier rack ;)
philvantwo

Post by philvantwo »

Yale lock on a garage door? Are they a pair of timber doors? The best lock for metal up and over doors are 'Enfield' locks.
PH

Post by PH »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Concrete block can always go on the pannier rack ;)

Then get a bigger concrete block :roll:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

PH wrote:
[XAP]Bob wrote:Concrete block can always go on the pannier rack ;)

Then get a bigger concrete block :roll:

Maybe a Carry Freedom then :)

Or maybe tie it to a wheel...