Young female cyclist stabbed to death

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
peanut

Young female cyclist stabbed to death

Post by peanut »

has anyone heard the news this morning ?
Apparently a young female cyclist got into an argument with 2 other girls in a passing car. They followed her ,pulled her off her bike and stabbed her to death !

I don't mind telling you that as a disabled cyclist I now feel obliged to carry something with which to defend myself from such an attack .

Does anyone else feel vulnerable out on their own ?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 297971.stm
Wildduck

Post by Wildduck »

Time to keep that lugging D-lock to hand.

I'm surprised the police want to do anything, the last time I was attacked (and even caught the attacker!) the police were 'too busy' to attend and afterwards couldn't be bothered to at least investigate despite me gathering enough evidence for a conviction.

Perhaps a murder is enough to threaten their precious performance figures and get them off their donut-laden backsides.
Trice Q 2007 in inky blue (Quackers)
Bacchetta Corsa 26 ATT (The Mad Weeble)
Cube SL Team Cross (Rubberduckzilla)
Homebaked tourer (The Duck's Dream)
MTB mongrel (Harold the Flying Sheep)
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I tend to think there is more to this than first meets the eye.
ThomasDylan

Post by ThomasDylan »

reohn2 wrote:I tend to think there is more to this than first meets the eye.

Exactly. There was some previous to this altercation that has nothing to do with cycling.

She might have been walking along and suffered the same fate. The bike is irrelevant here.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

After the fiasco of the investigation of the crimes of the so-called Yorkshire Ripper, all senior investigating officers were taught the mantra 'The police are keeping an open mind.' Whether they lived up to this was another question. We simply don't know what happened here.

There may be some history between the deceased and her assailants but that may not be so. Or she may have 'provoked' them by something she had just done such as a gesture. Or it may have been completely unprovoked

Over the years I have been subject to many acts of unprovoked nastiness when cycling. Several of these could be described as assaults including being shot with a pellet gun, and hit over the back with a heavy wire flail which broke the skin through several layers of thick thermal clothing. (I recently bumped into the police surgeon who examined me after that assault which took place about 12 years ago. We were in Sainsburys and after the usual 'Long time, no see' comments he asked about my back saying the seriousness of such unprovoked injuries had stuck in his memory.)

Incidentally nobody knows how many apparent motor accidents are assaults by angry drivers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

ThomasDylan wrote:
reohn2 wrote:I tend to think there is more to this than first meets the eye.

Exactly. There was some previous to this altercation that has nothing to do with cycling.

She might have been walking along and suffered the same fate. The bike is irrelevant here.

That was my point too.
Mrs Tortoise

Post by Mrs Tortoise »

what is most frightening, is the casualness with which knives seem to be carried and by women as well as men, and I don't mean penknives.
vernon

Re: Young female cyclist stabbed to death

Post by vernon »

peanut wrote:has anyone heard the news this morning ?
Apparently a young female cyclist got into an argument with 2 other girls in a passing car. They followed her ,pulled her off her bike and stabbed her to death !

I don't mind telling you that as a disabled cyclist I now feel obliged to carry something with which to defend myself from such an attack .

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 297971.stm

I don't think that being young, female or a cyclist was the cause of her death - two (or more) psychopaths were.
iaincullen

Post by iaincullen »

peanut wrote:

Most of the time no. I do most of my cycling around Glasgow and while unprovoked attacks on cyclists are rare they happen.

Last year a 56-year-old woman was cycling to work in Glasgow when a male pulled her from her bike causing her to fall and sustain an injury to her wrist.

http://www.strathclyde.police.uk/index. ... docID=4171

I've commuted through the same area for the last few years and have had a couple of near misses. Around 9.30 pm a few years ago I was on the canal bank approaching a group of 3 teenagers. one with a bike. As they saw me they spread over the path to try and block it. I accelerated and burst through them. I've no idea what their intentions were but I heard of someone getting his bike stolen from him near there.

Last week I was riding up one of the main roads, Maryhill Rd, about 11.45pm. 3 neds up ahead were jumping in front of passing cars, shouting and waving there arms. Fortunately there was no oncoming traffic and I was able to switch to the wrong side of the road just in front of a group of cars coming up behind me and use them as a shield from the neds. Again perhaps nothing would have happened but I wouldn't count on it. The biggest problem was it was an uphill so I didn't have the speed advantage a cyclist usually has.

I think it is essential to be switched on all the time. There are risks out there if you aren't careful. I'm 6ft2 and 16 stone and I don't feel immune from these sort of encounters so I could understand many people being worried about cycling late at night in many cities.
dmiller

Post by dmiller »

iaincullen wrote:Most of the time no. I do most of my cycling around Glasgow and while unprovoked attacks on cyclists are rare they happen.

My commute is in Glasgow and its truly awful.

I have been spat at by neds, had glass bottles thrown at me by van drivers , had two cars driven at me (both caught on camera) and get some verbal almost evey day. The police will do nothing.

The best bit is Strathclyde Police - last time I was run over (end of January) they suggested that I was to blame as it was raining and dark. I wear a very bright jacket, rucksack cover etc and I am fully lit. The worst bit, the driver admits he was not even looking where he was going but the police wont do anything.

I have since bought a helmet camera to get the worst of it on tape. One day soon I hope my MSP will be able to do somehting about it!

Phew... Glad I got that off my chest :)

David.
gambatte

Post by gambatte »

Makes me think we're not vocal enough in getting the police to take bad driving seriously?

At least yours were reported. I'll bet theres loads that aren't.