Another cyclist death: left-turning lorry

Commuting, Day rides, Audax, Incidents, etc.
kwackers

Re: Another cyclist death: left-turning lorry

Post by kwackers »

661-Pete wrote:From SH's profile:
If we, and the police, have been taken for a ride on this forum, I'll want to know why. Especially being the thread starter.

Some people just like their moment in the sun. Must have been a bit of a shock when a real live policeman came knocking...
Then again perhaps I'm being unfair and he's just on holiday.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Forum staff have been in contact with police and are cooperating in the investigation.

This thread was locked briefly today while a copy was preserved.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Thanks for the explanation Vorpal.

I have to say that Steve has a number of threads which cover a number of topics, so I'd veer away from suggesting trolling just yet...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

Meanwhile just started another thread on an interesting debate about the lorry problem in the House of Lords yesterday.
niggle

Post by niggle »

Massive edit- removed my Youtube link as possibly inappropriate, but maybe this thread should be deleted entirely?
Last edited by niggle on 8 Mar 2015, 8:35am, edited 1 time in total.
The fat commuter

Post by The fat commuter »

Vorpal wrote:Forum staff have been in contact with police and are cooperating in the investigation.

This thread was locked briefly today while a copy was preserved.

Does the forum database keep a copy of the pre-edited post? I know in one forum that I used to frequent, if you looked at one of your own posts that you'd edited, you could see all your other posts pre-edit. Just checked and that forum used vBulletin. Obviously not all forums are the same.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

[XAP]Bob wrote:Thanks for the explanation Vorpal.

I have to say that Steve has a number of threads which cover a number of topics, so I'd veer away from suggesting trolling just yet...

Having posted about the value of independent witnesses, I'm hoping, perhaps naively, that there's a good explanation for this and I also hope that it's not because the forum member in question has suffered some injury or other misfortune.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:Having posted about the value of independent witnesses, I'm hoping, perhaps naively, that there's a good explanation for this and I also hope that it's not because the forum member in question has suffered some injury or other misfortune.

That's unlikely because he appears to have edited his posts, and also removed his avatar.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

I'm guessing this means that despite all the discussion and victim blaming we don't actually know that she cycled up the inside of a lorry indicating left after all(?)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

kwackers wrote:I'm guessing this means that despite all the discussion and victim blaming we don't actually know that she cycled up the inside of a lorry indicating left after all(?)

One thing about anonymous imagined reports more generally is they may affect a trial. Suppose there are several sound witnesses and other evidence amounting to a strong prosecution case, the police must investigate as far as they are able any other material information. If they cannot trace the potential witness, the information must still be disclosed to the defence, for whom it may be a straw to grasp in trying to convince the jury that there is a reasonable doubt. At the very least, it muddies the waters.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

kwackers wrote:I'm guessing this means that despite all the discussion and victim blaming we don't actually know that she cycled up the inside of a lorry indicating left after all(?)

That is my interpretation as well: that we don't know.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

That's my concern too,as I (possibly naively) took the word of the eye witness account to be valid,however... :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
mjr

Post by mjr »

MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.