How to ask a helmet question?

For all discussions about this "lively" subject. All topics that are substantially about helmet usage will be moved here.
Vorpal

Re: How to ask a helmet question?

Post by Vorpal »

TonyR wrote:I am sure you follow all the rules meticulously, only crossing the road at night by a streetlamp (Rule 17), crossing onto the other side of the road and back again on right hand bends without pavements (Rule 2), always using cycle tracks no matter how bad they are or where they go (Rule 61), always give other cyclists plenty of room when you overtake them (Rule 163), never filter through traffic (Rule 167) and get off and walk round roundabouts (Rule 77). Of course you won't be using clipless pedals because they don't have pedal reflectors (Rule 60) but you must be an impressive track stander to keep both feet on the pedals (Rule 66)

Rule 59 though is a curious one because the helmet is clearly intended to be a visibility aid according to the accompanying illustration - not a reason I had ever considered for wearing a helmet I must admit. It also considers a black shirt to be light coloured. But who am I to argue with people that know best?

I don't feel that they 'know best', nor am I inclined to argue every rule or point, but my interpretation of some of these differs slightly...

The black t-shirt is a 'don't', but is okay with the flourescent belt.

2 It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

In this case, The Highway Code clearly offers an alternative that may be safer, rather than a strict rule. Under many circumstances, I would judge the risk to be greater from crossing and re-crossing the road.

61 Cycle Routes and Other Facilities. Use cycle routes, advanced stop lines, cycle boxes and toucan crossings unless at the time it is unsafe to do so. Use of these facilities is not compulsory and will depend on your experience and skills, but they can make your journey safer.

Some of these facilities are clearly not safe, or may not be safe at a speed above 10 mph. I use advanced stop lines only in very limited circumstances, because I feel that the risk of getting to them oftens outweighs the advantage they give (i.e. at the time, it is unsafe to do so) Furthermore, it clearly states that use of these facilities is not compulsory.

I do _always_ give other road users plenty of space when I overtake. There is no place in the HC that says you may not filter through traffic. Nor is there anything that says a cyclists has to get off and walk at roundabouts.

And no, I don't use clipless pedals. I have normal pedals with amber reflectors and toe clips.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mawsley

How to ask a helmet question?

Post by Mawsley »

I was asked if I was wearing a helmet after my accident.

The tut-tutting which followed implied that I retained a percentage of fault for my injuries for not having done so - injuries to the right foot, calf and knee!

I do not wear a helmet because I choose not to, strikes me that the preventative aspect of one is minimal and only relevant in a very small number if incidents.
To the end of the road - My JOGLE '12 blog
Self financed and raising money for Children In Need with Just Giving
@2TheEndOTheRoad
mjr

Re: How to ask a helmet question?

Post by mjr »

TonyR wrote:And Mikael Colville-Andersen puts it all in perspective.

I watched this talk after Toggle Chain Tour linked to it recently and commend it to all readers ;)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.