WD-40 Lube or not?!

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
DavidT

WD-40 Lube or not?!

Post by DavidT »

Over the years I've followed with interest the extensive discussions and POV on here about whether WD-40 is an effective lube or not.

I stumbled across this site this morning

http://www.wd40bike.com/

So no doubt the issue can now be resolved? :lol:

Happy Cycling. (Personally, a TF2 user)
yakdiver

Re: WD-40 Lube or not?!

Post by yakdiver »

I've been using WD 40 on my chain for years and I get around 6500 miles per chain, I think a lot of people are saying that it is not a lubricant are just repeating what other people have said before without even using it themselves, and YES I do know what the WD stands for.
JonMcD

Post by JonMcD »

Wikipedia lists the ingredients - loads of volatile solvents and some oil. Spray some WD-40 into a container and leave it a few days and you will see that what is left behind is quite a viscous oil. Rather odd that any mention of WD-40 on the web attracts "WD-40 IS NOT A LUBE" shouty comments. There may be better lubes, but it still lubricates.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

yakdiver wrote:I've been using WD 40 on my chain for years and I get around 6500 miles per chain, I think a lot of people are saying that it is not a lubricant are just repeating what other people have said before without even using it themselves, and YES I do know what the WD stands for.

My main gripe against WD40 is that it's mucky,in that it seems to attract road dirt etc when sprayed on chains or as a water displacer.
It's the main reason I stopped using it 15+years ago and went over to GT85 for WDing as it's so much cleaner in use and TF2 for chains for a good few years now.
In the OP's link I see WD are now producing a bike specific range of lubes etc,if I came across them in shop I'd maybe try it as chain lube but it'd have to be cheap,though previous experience may make me think twice.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
don1

Post by don1 »

Muc off do a decent one as well, I think it's called MO-94.
Although GT85 is my favourite, if not just because of the smell.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

yakdiver wrote:I've been using WD 40 on my chain for years and I get around 6500 miles per chain, I think a lot of people are saying that it is not a lubricant are just repeating what other people have said before without even using it themselves, and YES I do know what the WD stands for.
Good luck with it.
It obviously works for you if you're happy with 6,500miles.

My advice is to not use it as a chain lubricant, because it's not a chain lubricant.
Mick F. Cornwall
Brucey

Post by Brucey »

which does rather beg the question 'what is a (good) chain lubricant?'

If there were obviously one good chain lubricant out there (rather than lots that each seem to work for some people and not for others) then the whole issue would be easily solved.....

cheers
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
nathb

Post by nathb »

don1 wrote:Although GT85 is my favourite, if not just because of the smell.

+1 for GT85, great stuff.
Valbrona

Post by Valbrona »

Dulls paintwork. I only use it when I am cleaning a bike part once it has been removed from a bike.
I should coco.
willcee

Post by willcee »

well.. in many good LBS, Stateside, you'll find a wall with a huge sign in a prominent position stating ....WD40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT!!!... as they say over there ''Go Figure'' and plus 1 on GT85.. will
531colin

Post by 531colin »

willcee wrote:well.. in many good LBS, Stateside, you'll find a wall with a huge sign in a prominent position stating ....WD40 IS NOT A LUBRICANT!!!.....

Almost enough to make me start using it :mrgreen:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

DavidT wrote:Over the years I've followed with interest the extensive discussions and POV on here about whether WD-40 is an effective lube or not.

I stumbled across this site this morning

http://www.wd40bike.com/

So no doubt the issue can now be resolved? :lol:

Happy Cycling. (Personally, a TF2 user)

So none of those are actually WD40, except in marketing.
WD40 is a specific formulation - to use the name against other items is, well daft. That's like Ford deciding that the Mondeo is their best selling vehicle, so calling all of the cars the Mondeo...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I must admit I don't really like WD40, it leaves a bit of a residue, attracts dust and dirt especially in the summer and it's lubricant properties seem to disappear the first hint of rain. FinishLine fine oil is my weapon of choice.
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

I used WD40 on the gear linkage of an old Commer I used to have. Very convoluted with lots of ball joints. The Wd40 was ok for about a day and then made the change much worse as it washed out any lubricant and left a dry joint. Relubed with silicone spray and was then useable. IMO it is a good release agent but definitely not a lubricant.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

WD is mostly white spirit, which explains it's ability to loosen rusted or seized parts, but it's rubbish imo for anything else.

A good bottle of bike dedicated light oil costs about £6 and lasts me a year, about 50p a month ;)