Drivers on Phones - What Can we do ?

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
kingrollo

Post by kingrollo »

Hope no one minds this here - this issue affects everyone, not just cyclists, but pedestrains , other drivers. People on there phones driving is a menace - whats more its totally uneccesary - a couple of things that have really got my goat recently:-

1.On a 5 mile 20 minute car journey - I counted 7 people - either texting or talking on mobiles

2.Whilst driving home I seen a full size aric lorry - take a mini roundabout - faster than I thought he should have - I glanced unbelvably he was blatantly chatting on mobile phone...

However a £60 fine & 3 points doesn't really deter .....

I have tried to get e-petitions - to get the fine increased - or at least get an advertisng campaign to raise awareness of this issue

I have also tried taking photos off offenders - and posted these on bad driver web sites - problem is it is hard to get a photo including reg plate, and driver - and then of course If I am driving at the time - I am almost as guilty as them - if I am messing about trying get a photo when i should be concentrating on driving !

Any ideas \ suggestions
[XAP]Bob

Re: Drivers on Phones - What Can we do ?

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Continuous video recording, extract stills.

Not that anything will be done.

The "suicide" of a few economically expendable cyclists is an acceptable cost in the rush to the traffic lights...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I agree with you that the situation to madness. We can stop it. We have the technology. Even without technology we have the means to enforce such rules yet there seems no motivation. And until the laws are enforced, drivers will feel confidant they will not be caught so increasing fines will have little impact.

Ian
lukehall

Post by lukehall »

The problem with video is often the reflection off the windows causes you not to be able to see inside, even if they do its near impossible to get the police to actually do anything about it as Bob said.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Report your concerns to your local sheriff, or rather your Police and Crime Commissioner, who is ultimately responsible for the direction of your local police, then don't be fobbed off. Don't be impressed by anything less than effective action to deal with this. eg Meeting the guy (or gal) in person and being treated to tea and biccies - even choccy biccies - is a form of fobbing off. A delegated reply from your local police community team is another. The more like-minded people you can get to join in the better.

Your PCC will almost certainly have their mugshot prominently displayed on your local force's www.
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

100% agree on the safety issue. Unfortunately this is a law introduced by pen-pushing politicians who gave no thought whatsoever as to how the police were ever going to keep on top of it. AND then cut the numbers of traffic and beat police.

Now they have dreamt up a law for smoking in cars with kids, which again I get 100%, but it can't and won't be policed.

Funny how we notice these things now they are law. Maybe these laws were introduced to wind up the law-abiding General public as some dark joke? [emoji6]

Idiots...b
Stradageek

Post by Stradageek »

Ultimately it has to become socially unacceptable, like drink driving - here's Canada's approach to the problem

'Crotch Kills'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dljVqIeOjVY
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Stradageek wrote:Ultimately it has to become socially unacceptable, like drink driving - here's Canada's approach to the problem

'Crotch Kills'

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dljVqIeOjVY

Brilliant and how right you are...b
DarkNewt

Post by DarkNewt »

I have long been an advocate of the following:

for offences like this: No points taken off driver instead a ban for say 3 months first offence then 6 months etc.. and a compulsory dirvers re-ed course before they can drive again (making them pay the total cost) at the end of the ban you go on with no record or points but you have been deprived of your right to drive, more than twice and you get the whole ban 12 months + retake driving test.

Points dont' really do much in these cases and a fine just "p(^&" off without actually teaching anything - if people knew everytime they are caught it's a ban then they would be far less willing to do so.

I do however think it is difficult to catch them and prove it, my sympathy with the police when trying to deal with it. I get tired of being in my car at lights and having to bib my horn because the idiot in front is texting or on the phone and missing the lights...
Currently planning my next adventure and trying to get over two operations in 6 months but still going strong!
email: newt@systems-engineer.info web: thedarknewt.blogspot.co.uk
c0d3x42

Post by c0d3x42 »

lukehall wrote:The problem with video is often the reflection off the windows causes you not to be able to see inside, even if they do its near impossible to get the police to actually do anything about it as Bob said.

Polarising filters might help with that.
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

Spotted one on my way to work today. Rolled to a stop at a set of traffic lights and looked around whilst waiting for the light sequence to go green for us and saw the driver of the car beside me had her phone in her hands and the passenger window was open. I simply uttered three words to her and the phone went back into her handbag sharpish.

The words I uttered were "Important or illegal?" As she put her phone down I repeated the word illegal and for some reason she looked straight ahead waiting for the green light
Allydoug

Post by Allydoug »

It would be great if CTC would add the function on their Fill that hole app for Cars parked on pavements and drivers on phones. I cant believe people text whilst driving, but to be totally honest some idiotic cyclists are doing this too. Can't wait to get the batch of photos of mine sent of to councilors, msps, mps etc.
Compliments from a nice laddie over the rainbow in Scotland.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

kingrollo wrote:Hope no one minds this here - this issue affects everyone, not just cyclists, but pedestrains , other drivers. People on there phones driving is a menace - whats more its totally uneccesary - a couple of things that have really got my goat recently:-

1.On a 5 mile 20 minute car journey - I counted 7 people - either texting or talking on mobiles

2.Whilst driving home I seen a full size aric lorry - take a mini roundabout - faster than I thought he should have - I glanced unbelvably he was blatantly chatting on mobile phone...

However a £60 fine & 3 points doesn't really deter .....

I have tried to get e-petitions - to get the fine increased - or at least get an advertisng campaign to raise awareness of this issue

I have also tried taking photos off offenders - and posted these on bad driver web sites - problem is it is hard to get a photo including reg plate, and driver - and then of course If I am driving at the time - I am almost as guilty as them - if I am messing about trying get a photo when i should be concentrating on driving !

Any ideas \ suggestions

You could buy one of these http://www.cellphonejammers.co.uk/product.php?id_product=15 (battery powered cell blocker).

So whilst they might be talking whilst you are at some distance from them, as you get nearer they will no longer be talking !! and they wont know why they lost their caller.

In fact, it would be rather nice if loads of cyclists started carrying there around in their saddle bag/panniers/etc. and then mobile phones would become rather useless whilst cyclists are around. ... "I have a dream ..."

Ian
simonineaston

Post by simonineaston »

Psamathe wrote:it would be rather nice if loads of cyclists started carrying there around in their saddle bag/panniers/etc. and then mobile phones would become rather useless whilst cyclists are around. ... "I have a dream ..."
Genius - am loving that! CTC could get bulk buy and discount it to members! 8)
S
(on the look out for Armageddon, on board a Brompton nano & ever-changing Moultons)
irc

Post by irc »

kingrollo wrote:However a £60 fine & 3 points doesn't really deter .....

Which is why it was raised to £100 in 2013 and there are reportedly plans to double it.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/dr ... ce-5840985

But as the TRL study years ago found hand held mobile use more dangerous than driving at the legal alcohol limit it should really be a ban for a first offence. Drivers would fight these all the way so I'd anticipate the police having to seize the phones of drivers who denied the offence to get their call records analyzed.