Second kitchen sink drama

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Second kitchen sink drama

Post by Ben@Forest »

I expect most will have read about Ed Miliband's second kitchen crisis. It's pretty ludicrous stuff really but I do think he and his wife deliberately kept the journo and photographer out of their much bigger other kitchen.

However what interested me was their friend's assertion that it wasn't a kitchen because there wasn't room for a table and to sit down in there. For the first ten years of my co-habiting then married life we had no room for a table in the kitchen. it was one of those kitchens where you could turn 180 degrees and go from cooking to washing up. Even in our present house we have a kitchen table and two chairs but it's too cramped to sit there really, it's more a useful place to put stuff before going out or putting it away properly. So is a kitchen not a kitchen if you can't sit down?
gaz

Re: Second kitchen sink drama

Post by gaz »

The kitchen is the place where the emergency tyre levers (aka spoons) are kept.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Kitchen, or dining room, or kitchen diner?

By definition, kitchen is:
Screen shot 2015-03-13 at 16.34.14.png

Our kitchen, is a kitchen diner.
We have a kitchen and a big table that will seat two easily, and up to six at a squeeze.

The big table is sometimes a bicycle workbench, a jigsaw puzzle table, sewing machine surface, and many various other things. It's 3ft by 4ft of solid pine. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
cjchambers

Post by cjchambers »

Tories accusing a Labour politician of being posh? It's simply beyond parody.

Mick F wrote:Our kitchen, is a kitchen diner.
We have a kitchen and a big table that will seat two easily, and up to six at a squeeze.

The big table is sometimes a bicycle workbench, a jigsaw puzzle table, sewing machine surface, and many various other things. It's 3ft by 4ft of solid pine. :D

My kitchen is my dining room and my bedroom. Such is life in a one bedroom studio . . . for the monthy rent of a three bed house in my home town up north.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

When we first married, we rented a tiny top floor room in Southsea.
One double bed, a dressing table, a chest of draws, a elderly gas cooker, a wash basin, one double electric socket, a suspect gas fire, and a threadbare armchair.
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Our kitchen is postage-stamp sized. There is a pull-out table which normally tucks under one of the worktops when not in use. When extended, the remaining space isn't enough to swing a ratatouille in....

But we enjoy the luxury of being able to escape to our holiday place in France, where we have a full-size kitchen. Dining table and all... :mrgreen:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
rjb

Post by rjb »

you lot sound like 4 yorkshiremen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe1a1wHxTyo

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Isnt it a sad state of affairs when the leader of the party that broadly represents the interests of the working people of our country appears to want to hide his wealth? Why should anyone have to try to appear like one of the working classes unless he isnt? I have seen quite a few shots of Cameron cooking in the kitchen obviously attempting to appear 'ordinary'. What a carve up, they must think we are all morons!

However, a kitchen is a kitchen whatever it is. Its a place where you prepare food. It neednt have a table, but IMO its great if it does because its a place where families can gather to eat together which IMO is good for everyone.

We extended our house 30 years ago and added a single story bigger kitchen, I totally refurbished it in 2006 doing everything myself and this was the result. It still looks just like new and its the heart of our house. Bike repairs get done in the garage which never contains a car..

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 14 Mar 2015, 9:12am, edited 2 times in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
gaz

Post by gaz »

Less than a week after the revelation that it's al_"two lawns"_yrpal we now discover he has an East Kitchen and a West Kitchen too :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

gaz wrote:Less than a week after the revelation that it's al_"two lawns"_yrpal we now discover he has an East Kitchen and a West Kitchen too :wink: .

Yeah, well, unlike Millipede I have nothing to be embarrassed about... :?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Redvee

Post by Redvee »

cjchambers wrote:My kitchen is my dining room and my bedroom. Such is life in a one bedroom studio . . . for the monthy rent of a three bed house in my home town up north.

Not quite that bad here, but the kitchen is where I watch TV, surf the net, sit on the sofa, work on my bikes or the living room has an electric cooker and washing machine in it and two bikes.
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

Of course, "up north" we used to call it the "Back Kitchen" where the washing and cooking was done. I believe we have what is called a 'Galley Kitchen' which is very narrow. You can't open the oven door and washing machine door at the same time as they will hit each other and block the entire area!

I'm always amused when I see the "Location...." type programmes and the prospective buyers complaining about a small kitchen which appears to be the size of centre court at Wimbledon! They also complain about road noise but have no qualms about creating road noise for other householders as they drive to their quiet country seat.