sputnik rims - thoughts

For discussions about bikes and equipment.
aThousandTurns

sputnik rims - thoughts

Post by aThousandTurns »

I've always had Sputnik Rigida rims on my touring bike. These rims are readily available in the UK and Europe where my bike was built and I usually end up buying bits and bobs but now I'm in Australia where decent, reasonably economical bike parts seem hard to come by. I've had Mavic and Alex rims suggested to me but I'm reading some reviews that make me uncomfortable with those choices. Because the Sputniks are very reasonably priced it is still cheaper to get them sent from England despite a predictably hefty shipping charge than to buy something like Velocity Cliffhangers here.

Any ideas? Suggestions?
deliquium

Re: sputnik rims - thoughts

Post by deliquium »

A long lasting well made touring/utility rim with decent size and thickness braking surface, at a very reasonable cost - I can't think of anything better than Sputniks ✔✔✔

Plus they aren't emblazoned with "graphics" :roll:
Current pedalable joys

"you would be surprised at the number of people in these parts who nearly are half people and half bicycles"
fastpedaller

Post by fastpedaller »

I'm always of the opinion "if you're pleased with the product don't change" ...unless it becomes prohibitively expensive. It's a bad feeling when you buy something different expecting it to be as good or better, and it turns out to be worse :(
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I opted to replace the factory wheels on my rig with Sputniks following seemingly endless research and recommendations, largely from this forum.
Mine are still fairly new as wheels go. Both were laced with 36 spokes to Deore hubs last May and the rear has done 3000 miles. The front was later replaced again in November because I switched to a dyno hub and new rim and that's done 1729 miles. Not exactly long term reports granted, but they do feel bomb proof and have survived without a single ding some pretty big hits through either not looking where I was going or surprise potholes, a few of which have resulted in my hands leaving the bars at 20mph +. Not even a scratch so far.
Who builds your wheels will make a big difference though and I'm lucky that the chap in my lbs knows what he's doing.....unlike me :)
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.
PH

Post by PH »

You don't say your intended usage. Sputniks are as you know as close to bomb proof as you'll find, but do you actually need that? What bad reports have you heard about Mavics? Could it be simply due to the huge number of rims they sell? The A 719 seems well regarded by many. You'll know the sums better than me, but I'd be inclined to buy something available locally if it was an option, partly because I'd be reluctant to spend too much money on carriage and also I'd like to know a rim swap would be quick and easy in the event on damage.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you dont say how much you weigh? if you are heavy then get a double eyeleted rim what ever brand. My old Mavic X138 single eyeleted rims that came with my bike broke - the spokes started to tear the rim apart in places ( the wheels were quite old so maybe metal fatique may have been part of the reason, but had not seen many miles )

I have replaced the Mavix x138 wheels with Sputniks. BUT when I got the rear the builder told me that he had had trouble with finding a ( silver Sputnik ) from the ones he had, that would take the tension ( and rejected them to be sent back ) and suggested that Ryde were having quality control problems. SO thats some thing to be kept in mind in long distance buying. That was late last year.
gentlegreen

Post by gentlegreen »

I used to use (26 inch) Mavic rims on my MTB (only used on the road with relatively narrow tyres) but the rims wore through like butter and even when I fitted a disc brake, a rim cracked along the eyelets when I had it trued.
My hypothesis is that competition MTB wheels are expected to get destroyed before they wear out.
No wear indicators either - I had one wheel literally unzip as I rode home...

It's early days for the Sputniks I now have thanks to everyone on here raving about them.
aThousandTurns

Post by aThousandTurns »

I use my bike for touring. I'm relatively light myself and I don't carry much luggage compared to a lot of touring cyclists. I spend as much time as I can on dirt roads and I have seen a LOT of mountains over the last 6 years of touring.

I think I'll probably go with the Sputniks again.
CREPELLO

Post by CREPELLO »

Rigida rims are now rebranded Ryde and they are made in Asia somewhere I believe. Could it be worth finding out if they have an Asia/Pacific distributor?

Having said that, you are fortunate in that they are still only £18 each and have been for a number of years now. So they might not be that expensive with all the charges included.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

CREPELLO wrote:Rigida rims are now rebranded Ryde and they are made in Asia somewhere I believe.....................

Have a look for MickF's thread titled : "New Chrina Failure". I think that these were recent rims, and I wonder if transfer of manufacture of parts from Europe (and Japan) to parts east (other than Japan) has brought about a deterioration in quality............it's happened before.

I've used Mavics for year-n'-years-n'-years and in my opinion, based on my experience, they're still as lively as ever, still brake as well as ever, still stay true as well as ever and as far as I know are still as strong as ever but, again in my experience, only give about 50% to 60% of the mileage of Mavics a generation ago.

I'm trying to identify an alternative, but it ain't easy.
RickH

Post by RickH »

The new Ryde Sputniks I have on a set of wheels built recently (& as yet unused) say "Made in Europe" on them.

I suspect if they are Ryde branded they are Europe made (NL or Hungary probably), but if they are Rigida branded they are probably Far Eastern (probably Malasia). That is partly surmised from this page on the Ryde website.

Rick.
Former member of the Cult of the Polystyrene Head Carbuncle.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mine say "made in europe" on them also.very impressed at the deep brake surface compared to my old Mavic x138s. seems like to cut transport costs buy a few sputniks to last you a few years?