Police comments about Box Hill and cyclists

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ukdodger

Police comments about Box Hill and cyclists

Post by ukdodger »

I wonder what anyone thinks of Police comments regarding cyclists using Box Hill on page 15 of this mag?

http://edition.pagesuite-professional.c ... d6f8db5444
Audax67

Re: Police comments about Box Hill and cyclists

Post by Audax67 »

They've got a DI on it? He must have ****** somebody off.

Anyway, I halfway sympathize and halfway disapprove. Cyclists riding more than two abreast, or not in single file in traffic, are an annoyance and a hazard, and al fresco piddlers should at least be discrete. However, the Bill aren't exactly powerless.

A few years back a local commissaire phoned our prez to complain about the behaviour of cyclists on one of our events - how his men had seen them riding through red lights or round them on the footpath. Prez told him "so do the job you're paid to - arrest them!"

My sentiments are much the same in this case: if the traffic police did their job and pulled over a few offenders the others would take note.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

A 'Cycle safety workshop' Is just a token effort and a waste of money.

Just put some coppers there and fine/arrest anyone acting like a Numpty.
It's not like the police don't have access to cars,bikes, horses, helicopters etc :roll:
Just think how much cash in fines they could make.

If i had my way. Anyone caught going toilet in public would be made to do community service wearing a nappy :twisted:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Audax67 wrote:They've got a DI on it? He must have ****** somebody off.

Anyway, I halfway sympathize and halfway disapprove. Cyclists riding more than two abreast, or not in single file in traffic, are an annoyance and a hazard, and al fresco piddlers should at least be discrete. However, the Bill aren't exactly powerless.

A few years back a local commissaire phoned our prez to complain about the behaviour of cyclists on one of our events - how his men had seen them riding through red lights or round them on the footpath. Prez told him "so do the job you're paid to - arrest them!"

My sentiments are much the same in this case: if the traffic police did their job and pulled over a few offenders the others would take note.

I use Box Hill every weekend out and back. Have done for ten years. Never have I seen cyclists piddling or damaging cars. I do see lots and lots of cycling two three and even four abreast. Two I dont think is wrong as it's no more an obstruction than a slow moving car. But threes and fours is taking the micturate. That's usually club rides who like to chat. Fair enough but since the Olympics we seem to have taken the place over and some to think it's cyclists first when it's not. The bit about tacks in the road is worrying.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

maxcherry wrote:A 'Cycle safety workshop' Is just a token effort and a waste of money.

It's not like the police don't have access to cars,bikes, horses, helicopters etc :roll:

If i had my way. Anyone caught going toilet in public would be made to do community service wearing a nappy :twisted:

Uh huh. Female no doubt! Jealous eh. :wink:
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

ukdodger wrote:I use Box Hill every weekend out and back. Have done for ten years. Never have I seen cyclists piddling or damaging cars....

Nobody here worries about al fresco piddling, as long as you're not parading the elephant down the middle of the road or polluting somebody's wall. Discretion (i.e. turn your back to the road) and cleanliness are all that is required. Getting all hissy about somebody re-establishing hydraulic equilibrium when you can't see anything (without an effort) - pfft.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Audax67 wrote:
ukdodger wrote:I use Box Hill every weekend out and back. Have done for ten years. Never have I seen cyclists piddling or damaging cars....

Nobody here worries about al fresco piddling, as long as you're not parading the elephant down the middle of the road or polluting somebody's wall. Discretion (i.e. turn your back to the road) and cleanliness are all that is required. Getting all hissy about somebody re-establishing hydraulic equilibrium when you can't see anything (without an effort) - pfft.

The French dont even use the bushes.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

:? Are they holding workshops about how not to strew tacks on the road?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

I thought holding workshops were to teach people how to avoid... oh never mind.
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

ukdodger wrote:
Audax67 wrote:

The French dont even use the bushes.

Bushes???

ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Cant be France. They'e still be on their bikes.

All the girls will be rushing out now for their ShePees.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

Cyclists damaging cars!!!??? Safety?? Sounds like a lot of anti cycling journalistic hype. I haven't cycled in the Box Hill area since a teenager, so I can't comment on whether cyclists are a problem. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

MikeF wrote:Cyclists damaging cars!!!??? Safety?? Sounds like a lot of anti cycling journalistic hype. I haven't cycled in the Box Hill area since a teenager, so I can't comment on whether cyclists are a problem. :wink:

Yeah probably a quote from some irate local pounced on by a marginal free magazine needing copy. But I'll admit since the Olympics numbers there have at least quadrupled and abreast riding is commonplace at weekends.
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

ukdodger wrote:
maxcherry wrote:A 'Cycle safety workshop' Is just a token effort and a waste of money.

Uh huh. Female no doubt! Jealous eh. :wink:

Urine stinks. Cycling along enjoying life only to get your nose assaulted by the foul smell.
Does no one have any bladder control ?
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

ukdodger wrote:I do see lots and lots of cycling two three and even four abreast. Two I dont think is wrong as it's no more an obstruction than a slow moving car. But threes and fours is taking the micturate. That's usually club rides who like to chat.

I'll worry about that when I stop seeing motorists blocking the road by dragging three empty seats around with them. Its not even that they can chat with the empty seat next to them.
Last edited by TonyR on 28 Mar 2015, 4:26pm, edited 2 times in total.