Police comments about Box Hill and cyclists

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
ukdodger

Re: Police comments about Box Hill and cyclists

Post by ukdodger »

maxcherry wrote:
ukdodger wrote:
maxcherry wrote:A 'Cycle safety workshop' Is just a token effort and a waste of money.

Just put some coppers there and fine/arrest anyone acting like a Numpty.
It's not like the police don't have access to cars,bikes, horses, helicopters etc :roll:
Just think how much cash in fines they could make.

If i had my way. Anyone caught going toilet in public would be made to do community service wearing a nappy :twisted:

Uh huh. Female no doubt! Jealous eh. :wink:

Urine stinks. Cycling along enjoying life only to get your nose assaulted by the foul smell.
Does no one have any bladder control ?

Cant say I've ever smelt urine out cycling.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

TonyR wrote:
ukdodger wrote:I do see lots and lots of cycling two three and even four abreast. Two I dont think is wrong as it's no more an obstruction than a slow moving car. But threes and fours is taking the micturate. That's usually club rides who like to chat.

I'll worry about that when I stop seeing motorists blocking the road by dragging three empty seats around with them. Its not even that they can chat with the empty seat next to them.

Good one Tone. That's the spirit. I dont think.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

maxcherry wrote:Urine stinks. Cycling along enjoying life only to get your nose assaulted by the foul smell.

The voice of a youngster. Wait til you become old, but even then as you're female you may not understand. :wink:
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

MikeF wrote:
maxcherry wrote:Urine stinks. Cycling along enjoying life only to get your nose assaulted by the foul smell.

The voice of a youngster. Wait til you become old, but even then as you're female you may not understand. :wink:

Yeah your range certainly gets less.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

ukdodger wrote:
TonyR wrote:
ukdodger wrote:I do see lots and lots of cycling two three and even four abreast. Two I dont think is wrong as it's no more an obstruction than a slow moving car. But threes and fours is taking the micturate. That's usually club rides who like to chat.

I'll worry about that when I stop seeing motorists blocking the road by dragging three empty seats around with them. Its not even that they can chat with the empty seat next to them.

Good one Tone. That's the spirit. I dont think.

Perhaps I can remind you of this picture of how much space sixty people take up on the roads in cars, on bicycles and on a bus respectively

So why is it perfectly acceptable for motorists to block the centre of Dorking every weekday morning and evening in this way but its not acceptable for cyclists to block the roads on nearby Box Hill at the weekend.
ukdodger

Post by ukdodger »

Do you own a car Tony?
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Maybe they were peeing on the cars.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

You are all very naughty

Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
pwa

Post by pwa »

We get a lot of cyclists on the lanes in my area at weekends, and the locals are quite happy and chilled about that. No friction at all. But when you are in your car (I do drive sometimes) and trying to get one of your offspring to one of their activities on time, it can seem a bit uncaring when a group of cyclists remain two abreast in a situation where single file would allow safe and easy passing by cars that are following patiently.
531colin

Post by 531colin »

pwa wrote:We get a lot of cyclists on the lanes in my area at weekends, and the locals are quite happy and chilled about that. No friction at all. But when you are in your car (I do drive sometimes) and trying to get one of your offspring to one of their activities on time, it can seem a bit uncaring when a group of cyclists remain two abreast in a situation where single file would allow safe and easy passing by cars that are following patiently.

We get a lot of cars in the lanes in my area at weekends, and the locals are quite happy and chilled about it, No friction at all. But when we are on our bikes in single file and trying to get home to our offspring in one piece and not via A&E, it can seem a bit uncaring when a stream of cars crowd past where there isn't really room. Going two abreast sometimes encourages the drivers to wait until its safe to pass.

There are many miles of roads in the UK where its unpleasant and even unsafe to cycle due to the volume and speed of the motor traffic.
There are a few stretches of minor road in the UK where motor traffic might be required to drive at a safe speed due numbers of cyclists or pedestrians.

.......... just a different point of view.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

It's a sensible point of view. Cars getting in each other's way is the accepted norm. As soon as there are as many bikes suddenly everyone loses their minds.
manybikes

Post by manybikes »

So if the police ignore it the locals will complain. If they ignore tacks being put down the cyclists will complain (or someone might get hurt).
If, as suggested above, they just arrest a few to make an example then everyone else will complain: that they are picking on cyclists; that they are using a sledgehammer to crack a nut; and that they should have warned people first. Others will complain about the use of expensive facilities, like a helicopter, being used.
So they suggest a talking shop which MAY help a little (and of course it may not!).
The article in the magazine seems pretty conciliatory and if read widely may make some aware of the issue and others aware that the police are aware. They are wrong in that as well apparently.
So what is the answer? Speak up for the right to do whatever cyclists like because other categories of road users can also be anti-social?
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

ukdodger wrote:Do you own a car Tony?

Yes.
TonyR

Post by TonyR »

pwa wrote:We get a lot of cyclists on the lanes in my area at weekends, and the locals are quite happy and chilled about that. No friction at all. But when you are in your car (I do drive sometimes) and trying to get one of your offspring to one of their activities on time, it can seem a bit uncaring when a group of cyclists remain two abreast in a situation where single file would allow safe and easy passing by cars that are following patiently.

If you know this is a problem have you thought about setting off earlier for the activities so getting there on time doesn't depend on getting past them regardless?
pwa

Post by pwa »

531colin

Of course I agree that two abreast is a good way of controlling things where a car passing would be dangerous. My only complaint is against cyclists staying two abreast when I've been patiently following on bends, and we reach a straight bit where a safe overtaking manoeuvre would be easy if they chose to ride single file for a moment. When I've been considerate to other people I like it when they reciprocate, regardless of their mode of transport. I think most of us see things that way.

And TonyR, I am the sort of person who always sets off early, except when, in spite of my constant moaning, my teenage kids insist on being very last minute. It drives me mad, but I refuse to exceed the speed limit to make up time. And I never pass a cyclist until I'm happy I can do it safely.