Leynze Drive mini pump problem

Please be fair and thoughtful in your opinions. No rants please.
hondated

Leynze Drive mini pump problem

Post by hondated »

For ages I have wondered why this pump would not inflate Schrader valves and I ended up placing it into my spare parts bin.
So today I dug it out and tried to determine what was wrong with it which meant of cause Goggling the problem. By doing this I found out that the flexible hose at the Schrader end had a small washer with several holes in it which presses down on the valve and of cause its missing.

Not a real problem as I will just use it for non Schrader valve tubes but what a stupid idea. I did think of buying another hose but that's a tenner so I might as well just buy another cheaper pump.

So if your thinking of buying one of these my advice is don't .
hondated

Re: Leynze Drive mini pump another bad invention

Post by hondated »

[ First reply removed . . . .. Graham ]

. . . . . . What I was describing was a faulty design that one mini pump has and the purpose of the message was if you are thinking of buying one then be careful as the design is not that good if a microscopic washer with holes in can so easily fall out which makes the pump for Schrader valves useless.
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

My Leynze irritatingly rattles from where the main stem enters the chamber. I have tried every which way to fix it to it's cradle to stop the noise. Even emailed Leynze but got no reply.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
hondated

Post by hondated »

bikepacker wrote:My Leynze irritatingly rattles from where the main stem enters the chamber. I have tried every which way to fix it to it's cradle to stop the noise. Even emailed Leynze but got no reply.

Sorry to read that and also disappointed as Leynze equipment tends to get good reviews.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Leynze Drive mini pump problem

Post by Mick F »

I have one of these:
http://www.ctcshop.org.uk/lezyne-micro- ... ith-gauge/
Screen shot 2015-04-12 at 12.46.07.png

Actually, I bought the one without the gauge.

Absolutely wonderful and easily the best small pump available IMHO. You can use it as a hand pump, or fold out the foot and use it as a track pump. I get my tyres up to 120psi easily.

Schrader?
No problem, you just take off the valve attachment and put it on the other way round. Works faultlessly.

The ABS system is great. You press the button and the pressure in the pump and hose is released so the attachment comes off easily and without a sudden release of air.
Mick F. Cornwall
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

hondated wrote:Not a real problem as I will just use it for non Schrader valve tubes but what a stupid idea. I did think of buying another hose but that's a tenner so I might as well just buy another cheaper pump.

Surely another hose, if that would solve your problem, would be a better idea than buying another pump for a tenner? A £10 pump would assuredly bring its own problems, one of which may be that it doesn’t work!

Mick F wrote:I get my tyres up to 120psi easily.

Interesting. How easily is easily? I’ve never had a mini pump that could top 70 PSI with anything approaching ease. But a big part of the problem is holding the pump still while pushing hard at high pressures. If you don’t hold still, you risk tearing off the valve on the inner tube. So I can see how the flexible hose and mini-floor-pump design of the Lezyne Micro Floor Drive HP may help it to work better.

Still, 120 PSI is a very high pressure for a pump that weighs 150 g.
hondated

Post by hondated »

Samuel I think your suggestion is a fair one but I do already have a few other pumps I can use anyway.

I am also a bit loathe to buy a replacement hose given that the original was so fragile that I lost the fitted washer that as caused the problem.
oldplodder

Post by oldplodder »

Had one of these for a few years now and used to love it, although the pressure gauge packed in on my first one after a couple of weeks.
Reversing the head works fine for me to go presta/ shrader (great when taking the kids out).
Bad news is that it's now dead, and hasn't been used a great deal (we've all got puncture resistant tyres). The o-ring on the plunger went. That was easily replaced with a new one from a tap washer set (from my local ironmonger)... but there seems to be a bit of the old one stuck in the valve at the bottom of the tube or something similar and I can't shift it, so no air goes through. Wouldn't buy another as it packed in in the middle of nowhere in the Scottish highlands and I had to sit around waiting for another cyclist to pass so I could get home (luckily not very long, although I didn't see anyone else all day)!