Just ordered a carrera prava hybrid

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
borderghost

Just ordered a carrera prava hybrid

Post by borderghost »

I have decided to go ahead and order my self this carrera hybrid as im struggling to find a good bike for my budget, did i make an ok choice, bike will be delivered on friday. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2015

Will this bike more than likely have a cartridge bottom bracket?
Si

Re: Just ordered a carrera prava hybrid

Post by Si »

did i make an ok choice

Depends what you want it for and how it felt to you on the test ride - some bikes are good for some tasks but not so good for others, and some bikes suit some people better than they do other people.

But, for their price, Carrera bikes generally have a good rep. If it's coming from Halfords you'll need to check over the assembly before riding - some Halfords mechanics are very good, others aren't.
Mattyfez

Post by Mattyfez »

Maybe a tad heavy for a rigid at 19kg, but I'm more than happy with my carrera vengeance which is similar but with front suspension and disk brakes.

As above they are generally decent bikes, especially at thier price point, I had a max budget and I couldn't find anything that came close for £250.

Also as above, be on the look out for any rattles or wobbles, sometimes bits need nipping up after a bit of use, or alternatively Halfords do a free check over, if forget if it's 6 weeks or a month after purchase to check for such things.
I had a bit of play in the front end, after a week or so, turned out the stem bolts just needed nipping up a tad.

Not sure if that's due to 'bedding in' or if they weren't torqed up properly in the first place.
MikeF

Post by MikeF »

borderghost wrote:I have decided to go ahead and order my self this carrera hybrid as im struggling to find a good bike for my budget, did i make an ok choice, bike will be delivered on friday. http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2015

Will this bike more than likely have a cartridge bottom bracket?
If you read the spec it says it has.
"It takes a genius to spot the obvious" - my old physics master.
I don't peddle bikes.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

For the price It looks good,but I'm wondering why 650B wheels :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
DavidT

Post by DavidT »

Good to spot this post & thread as I am presently looking at this bike for my teenage son. He likes it (and I like the price :wink: ), except for the huge - for his purposes - 1.95 tyres. Can anyone please advise what narrower options I could sensibly look at for safe fitting on the 27.5" (650B?) Rims? Size and type for mainly road use.

Thanks. David
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

reohn2 wrote:For the price It looks good,but I'm wondering why 650B wheels :?

Should i be avoiding 650b wheels? As it happens there is a delay in my order so bike will not be ready to collect until tuesday.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

borderghost wrote:
reohn2 wrote:For the price It looks good,but I'm wondering why 650B wheels :?

Should i be avoiding 650b wheels? As it happens there is a delay in my order so bike will not be ready to collect until tuesday.

It's just that 700c and 26in(559) are more widely available though 650B are becoming more popular due to the uptake in MTB's,not a lot of road tyre choice though.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

I collected my carrera prava yesterday from halfords, as they had failed to get the bike delivered to store on time i got a 10% discount bringing the price down to £180 still making it the most expensive bike :idea: i have purchased, I assembled it myself at home as i would have had to fully check the build at home anyway . Only ever owning bso bikes in the past the carrera to me rides like a dream, On my garmin edge my average speed has increased from 13mph to 17mph. The carrera cost twice as much as my tesco bso but feels like 10 times the quality. Also notice the price has now increased to £230 http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bikes/h ... -bike-2015 so glad i purchased it when i did.
Samuel D

Post by Samuel D »

Nice! Sounds like you got a decent deal there (£50 off, basically). And the bike looks good for that money.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Si wrote:But, for their price, Carrera bikes generally have a good rep. If it's coming from Halfords you'll need to check over the assembly before riding - some Halfords mechanics are very good, others aren't.

Just to emphasise this after recent wailings on other forums: check over the assembly. Still let the bike shop do the assembly, else they can claim lots of problems were your responsibility. I avoid Halfords, though: seen too many goofs.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
borderghost

Post by borderghost »

Just in case anyone missed this deal it is back down to £199, I know this bike is not for everyone but for the money the spec is quite good.