Types of pads in shorts

General cycling advice ( NOT technical ! )
botty

Types of pads in shorts

Post by botty »

Sadly my much loved woolistic merino shorts are beginning to wear through in various places. Even more sadly they don't appear to be available to buy a replacement at the moment.

I have found a US company doing similar but they offer various different pads and I don't know what the differences would be to make an informed decision.

1) Multidensity pad: this appears to be the type in my current shorts
2) Real leather chamois
3) Aerotech MLP with gel pad (whatever that is)

So what are the pros and cons of each?
Last edited by botty on 21 Apr 2015, 6:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Types of pads in shorts

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
I have found the synthetic pads in cheap shorts , Lidl & my latest M-Fox bib shorts (bottom end) are very good.
Its like hand pains, your rear will suffer if you don't push hard on the pedals and get out of the saddle periodically.
Sitting in the saddle constantly and off road work makes it sore and sweaty :(
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Mark1978

Post by Mark1978 »

I'm considering a new set of shorts as my Aldi ones are wearing out. Been looking at dhb at Wiggle. Any good ones anyone recommends?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mark1978 wrote:I'm considering a new set of shorts as my Aldi ones are wearing out. Been looking at dhb at Wiggle. Any good ones anyone recommends?

Lusso
Don't buy Endura FS250,the pads disintegrated in both pairs I bought and I got a refund.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Types of pads in shorts

Post by Paulatic »

I bought a pair of 2nd hand DHB shorts off Fleabay a few years ago for pennies. They are among my favourites as they are a good fit and the pad (a blue one)isn't too bulky. I had a pair from Lidl which I threw out, finding the pad too bulky and woodgie.
I've Endura MT500 bib shorts in the drawer must be well over 15yrs old. They have more of a terry lining and I only used them for rides of 300k and above. Sadly they are a bit slack on me now but have been a good quality short.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi.
The Lidl Standard shorts have been OK, but the longs etc tend to have a nappy for a pad :?

I still rate the Lidl shorts on quality / price but I still don't do Commando :D
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

Buy the expensive ones, they disintegrate*.
Buy the cheap ones, your bum disintegrates**.

* My 2014 Assos shorts grew loose and the pad became rough after 4000+ km
** My Lusso shorts rubbed me red after 50 km. Sweaty things.

Now looking vaguely at Bionic shorts: 239€/pair but with a 2-year guarantee. Oh my aching wallet.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

botty wrote:Sadly my much loved woolastic merino shorts are beginning to wear through in various places. Even more sadly they don't appear to be available to buy a replacement at the moment.

I have found a US company doing similar but they offer various different pads and I don't know what the differences would be to make an informed decision.

1) Multidensity pad: this appears to be the type in my current shorts
2) Real leather chamois
3) Aerotech MLP with gel pad (whatever that is)

So what are the pros and cons of each?

Real leather chamois is very good at soaking up sweat, etc whilst still remaining soft (it , like wool, has natural wicking ability). that was the only type of padding available some years ago. The main disadvantage is that after a few times wearing and washing, they can get stiff and rough, and have to be treated with chamois cream. that's what chamoise cream was originally for.

The gel pad is like a gel saddle. If the gel is wll placed, it can take some of the friction, but it mostly acts as a cushion against bumps. If you develop a sore backside for bumps and bruises, it's more likely to be helpful than if you have trouble with chafing.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
nez

Post by nez »

Just don't do as I did and ask for mint flavour chamois cream. I thought the man in the bike shop would faint. Of course I meant the Assos stuff. Oh dear... Still doesn't help.
Rabbit

Post by Rabbit »

Where can you get these Woolistic shorts from? They sound great but can't seem to find them online!
botty

Post by botty »

The woolistic shorts come from here but are not available at the moment:

http://www.vintagevelos.com/en/19-wool-cycling-shorts

The alternative merino wool shorts I have found are here:

http://www.kucharikclothing.com/-c-43.html

and these are the ones with different pads available that I need advice on.

Useful advice on real chamois leather. I ride at least 100-200 miles weekly and at least 5 days a week all year round so although the authenticity of this appeals the practicality might not.
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
I don't get it :?
Its not rocket science.
If I can do several 200 - 250 mile day trips on lidl shorts (non commando) and not suffer sweaty or sore then whats the problem..........

OH .......then there's the saddle.................................some favoured polished animal bi-products can give you a rash..........
If been using cheap shorts all my life, before that it was jeans :?
Non of them fell apart, but over hot washing might stuff them up, I stick to 30 C max for all my cycling stuff.
botty

Post by botty »

I don't get it :?

There's nothing to get really. I don't like man made fibres, my current shorts are wearing in holes from friction, I know what shorts I want to buy but value advice on the merits of different pad construction.

I'm quite new to cycling, just been commuting for the last 8 years. I too started back on bikes in jeans for the first 5-6 years and resisted cycling specific clothes for a long time but have to say padded cycling shorts do make life more comfortable.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Audax67 wrote:.........** My Lusso shorts rubbed me red after 50 km. Sweaty things....

I've never had problems with them myself and I have a couple of friends with the same experience.
I wouldn't call them cheap either,mid price range I'd say.
Assos and 239euro 'Bionic'(stifles a laugh)are what I'd call bladdy expensive :shock: .

I suspect padded shorts are a bit like saddles,no one suits all.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vantage

Post by Vantage »

I bought 2 pairs of these nearly 3 years ago.
http://www.decathlon.co.uk/300-cycling- ... 26857.html
The padding is wide enough to cover most bums and seems thick enough. Nice and soft though. The Lycra itself is tbh a little on the thin side and the stitching started undoing a couple thousand miles ago but they've not fallen to bits completely yet.
At 5 quid a pair, replacing them won't hurt too much.
Bill

“Ride as much or as little, or as long or as short as you feel. But ride.” ~ Eddy Merckx
It's a rich man whos children run to him when his pockets are empty.