Steering when starting

DIscuss anything relating to non-standard cycles and their equipment.
[XAP]Bob

Re: Steering when starting

Post by [XAP]Bob »

The schlump for gives me that on my rapto, and the SA CS-RK3 (their dual drive) does it on the trike (albeit less important there).
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
jayjay

Post by jayjay »

After almost 3 years on a trike, my recently started two-wheel Bacchetta riding has been a bit of a learning experience. I over-correct and twitch from side to side - this seems to disappear the more I don't think about it. The steering is very light and quick. On the other handlebar, there have been occasions when I have been setting off, heading for the opposite kerb at a junction and thinking "why is this not turning!" which I think is my trike reactions showing through in not instigating a lean in to the turn.
Getting feet up and into motion doesn't seem to be the problem, and getting more natural, once I'm over the little psychological barrier where my mind says "this isn't going to work, :shock: we're going to fall over" actually pushing the pedal and balancing is an anticlimax. I use high 1st gear which gets me into motion easily enough.
I agree with the observation on the gearing.
Built f' comfort.
lukehall

Post by lukehall »

I'm slowly getting better, I'm trying to do a bit of practice each evening after work using the Cambridge science park to practice stopping and starting at junctions and roundabouts. I've also come to the decision that SPD is probably better than SPD-SL when it comes to stopping after having the cleats slip on the tarmac a few times. I was feeling confident enough to try a short trip back on the road (only about 30m), however that proved to be a mistake. I missed the cleat engagement at the lights and overbalanced (thankfully didn't go over) so dismounted and walked on the pavement to the next side road. I tried again from there and promptly made the same mistake. Its amazing what difference it makes just knowing there's no idiot motorists around to worry about, I'd started flawlessly the entire time i was practicing that evening. Right hand turns in traffic still fill me with dread, but I think I will be confident to use it for the Cambridge 100 which was my goal.
dkmwt

Post by dkmwt »

I've recently started riding an ICE B1 that I got from Neil.

I think I had the same problem as you when I started but never gave it much thought on the flat I just persevered and got better. I do still sometimes get it on uphill starts.
Looking at your pedals, would I be right in saying they are single sided that can only be used on the cleat side, mine had the same pedals. I've since changed to double sided with a cleat on one side giving me the ability to ride on the flat side without fear of clipping in when I don't want to. It's good for getting going then flip the pedal when in motion.

Another steering problem I get is to catch the front wheel with my heel when pulling away at right handed T junctions when I need to turn sharply because of parked cars on the other side of the road.
Cheers, Donald
Trice "Qnt 26" 26/39/55 F 10sp 11/36 R, now with Windwrap fairing.
ICE B1 34/50 F Capreo 9/32 R.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dkmwt/78674512/
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1188814973