food for free - friend or foe?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

food for free - friend or foe?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love collecting wild fruit - cherries in July, plums and apples later, "Sanddorn" (Hippophae rhamnoides /common sea-buckthorn) in winter! It is best to get off the bike and walk, then one is slow enough to spot the trees.

Unfortunately there is a web site where one can record places where wild fruit is to be had.

I fear some of "my" trees were publicised, the trees were almost bare of fruit when I visited them. I suspect people go there with vehicles and ladders, and collect much more than they can eat.

This is one (rare?) case where it does not make sense to join up with like-minded people.
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 30 Jan 2020, 9:57pm, edited 1 time in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Re: food for free - friend or foe?

Post by Vorpal »

In Norway, there is allemannsretten, or 'every man's right' to use the forest for walking, camping and collecting berries and mushrooms. But Norwegians fiercely protect the locations of their favorite spots, especially if there is a rare mushroom or berry to be found there. It is considered quite rude to ask someone where they go berry picking or mushroom hunting. 8)
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:In Norway, there is allemannsretten, or 'every man's right' to use the forest for walking, camping and collecting berries and mushrooms. But Norwegians fiercely protect the locations of their favorite spots, especially if there is a rare mushroom or berry to be found there. It is considered quite rude to ask someone where they go berry picking or mushroom hunting. 8)

one used to say: "please do not ask for credit as a refusal often offends", it is the same here I guess, and journalists should not disclose their sources (sauces?)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Same thing in Scotland. The location of mountain bothies is guarded with some secrecy, as they like to keep occupation to a minimum. Sometimes they can be right in front of you and you just can't see them for the trees or the brow of a hill.

I think it's a good practice, if you find something that you cherish, keep it to yourself!!
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

Also, in the north of Norway, among the Samii people it is considered exceptionally rude to ask a family how many reindeer they own :lol:
maxcherry

Post by maxcherry »

In Birmingham it all depends on how slow the security guards are :roll:
Honestly chaps, I'm a female!
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Well... I'm not about to give away the whereabouts of my favourite wild mushroom localities, so if anyone was expecting that - forget it :twisted: ! Having said that, I often go mushrooming in the autumn and, regrettably, I often see evidence an area having been 'cleaned out' by others before me... :( Not to mention the guy I came across, a few years ago, in the car park next to some woodland in the Crawley area, blithely loading up the back of his white van with basketfuls of goodies evidently gathered for the restaurant trade...

In some parts of the country (e.g. Epping Forest, Wimbledon Common) mushroom-picking is strictly regulated, so watch it!

And there's the notorious case of Brigitte Tee-Hillman, prosecuted several times but they've never managed to make a charge stick. What she does goes against the whole spirit of foraging for food in the wild, i.e. collecting enough for your own use and your own use only :evil: . Don't know whether she's still in the business, but people like that ought to be stopped.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

RogerThat wrote:Also, in the north of Norway, among the Samii people it is considered exceptionally rude to ask a family how many reindeer they own :lol:
Especially if the guy is short and fat, with a bushy white beard and wearing a red coat and pointy hat...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
fluffybunnyuk

Post by fluffybunnyuk »

i have a nice camping spot i deliberately drop seeds in. its usually good to hit for veg when i camp there.
RogerThat

Post by RogerThat »

I've tried that in the highlands. Nothing lasts more than one single summer!!
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

RogerThat wrote:Same thing in Scotland. The location of mountain bothies is guarded with some secrecy, as they like to keep occupation to a minimum. Sometimes they can be right in front of you and you just can't see them for the trees or the brow of a hill.

Closely guarded secret indeed. This link is for just one area, the main region map can be used to search for them all around Scotland, Wales and northern England. This has been up and running for I think 6 years now. Before that you had to know someone in the mountain bothy association to get a photocopy of their list or just join it. They are still doing well despite opening up their bothy locations.

http://www.mountainbothies.org.uk/region.asp?region_id=5